Just back from Crown didn't make it around the horm

AnnePontuso

What were the subjects of Dr Kus' lectures please? I'm looking forward to setting off on a similar cruise on Crown on 18th.

Dr Kus is an archeologist. We had him on our cruise last year. His specialty is the Moche culture. Excellent lecturer. His presentation are well worth presenting.

James Kus received his BA degree from Case Western Reserve University, his MA from Michigan State, and his PhD from UCLA with a dissertation that focused on pre-Hispanic agriculture in several desert oases in the area around Trujillo, Peru – in fact, he has carried out research in northern coastal Peru, the area where the Moche culture developed, for almost five decades. He has published on a wide variety of topics related to Peruvian archaeology, geography, and history. Jim retired four years ago after more than forty years teaching at California State University, Fresno. Since retiring, he has led ten tours to Peru (for the AIA and Smithsonian, as well as for private groups) and twice lectured on a cruise ship sailing around southern South America.

Edited by RDC1

Pretty amazing that people would complain it was cold. I guess some thing that the farther south one goes the warmer it gets. Mind boggling.

You do realize that 1 in 4 Americans doesn't know that the Earth goes around the Sun, right?

Edited by shepp

For those of you who are getting ready to sail on the Crown around the Horn please be aware that what happens on this voyage will largely depend on the weather and what the SA authorities decide to do with the documentation that is provided at each port. Many people were complaining about the delays and blaming it on the captain. The captain does NOT have control of anything other than sailing the ship safely. The waits for embarkation and disembarking were due to what the SA said and not under the control of Princess. Furthermore, many people complained that it was cold heading around the Magellan straights. Well it is near Antarctica duhhhhh. Of course it's cold despite the fact that we were heading south. We couldn't sail around the Horn because the seas were too rough. We did get to see the end of the earth, glaciers, penguins and all sorts of beautiful sites. During the 15 days we were on board the temperature went from cold to hot. When we landed in Rio it was 110 degrees! Also be aware that Zika virus is out there so bring insect repellant and Cholorx wipes....everyone was catching colds. I'm glad I was told to take a electrical outlets extension cord and magnetized hooks for hanging things on the wall. Try to figure out what stations are what on the television. You can get the news if you can remember which station it is on. Writie it down because they don't have a TV guide. Bring a down vest and layers, hats, gloves, and the charger for you camera. :)

Thank you for the post. We disembarked in Valparaiso, but I had been very curious about the next leg of the trip. After 17 days on the cruise you still feel connected, and can't help but wonder about the next ports of call...

I wish OP would come back and answer my questions post #5 since I am leaving in a week....I am not worried about delays etc...that's all part of cruising...or for that matter traveling and since I have been to South American 3 times in the last 7 years I know about politics and delays away from the ports.

Going around the Horn is new for me.....

So for all those that have experienced this trip in the last year or 2...any suggestions or tips?

We r doing Valparaiso to Buenos Aires...Jan 18th.

Thx...capriccio, just saw your post...good info, specially the lectures and beg3yrs for the map....

Even have read a copy of Rounding the Horn by Dallas Murphy per suggestion from another poster...

L:)ri

We were in Star last year--LA to Rio. Only missed one port (Puntarenas, Chile) and had a glorious Sabatini's breakfast going round the Horn. Captain opted to sail through Magellan Straits rather than open ocean due to rough seas. It was gorgeous.

Tips? Temps ranged from 40s to nearly 100! Layers and rain-gear and good shoes essential. In Valparaiso, try the valpostreetart tour. It is amazing. Drink Pisco (the factory was fun and Chilean wines. In Lima, we enjoyed a 15-course meal at Maido, one of the top 50 restaurants in the world. And Chef's Table at Copacabana Palace Hotel was an over-the-top experience. In Ushaiua, take the hike where they filmed The Revenant--cold, rugged and refreshing! And eat a giant T-bone in Buenos Aires.

Every port was a revelation.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We did this cruise in early 2015 but the reverse Chili to Argentina. We were not able to visit Ushuaia due to high winds but visited all other ports. A ship was already there and pinned to the pier by the wind. They did not have tugs to help the ship cast off. So several pax missed their opportunity to fly to Antarctica. We were able to sail up the beagle channel however and were able to sail around the southern most point. There were lectures aboard about the areas we visited and they had Spanish lessons available every day. One thing I did learn is that the Argentinians are a little upset at the UK over the Falkland war whether it is justified or not. As pointed out there is an alternative to going around the horn and that is using the Magellan passage instead. Ships of old all used it as it can be treacherous going around the horn. Pax who complain about the cold need to learn geography. I suppose the same would complain the visit inside the arctic circle was cold as well! It was a great trip.

What were the subjects of Dr Kus' lectures please? I'm looking forward to setting off on a similar cruise on Crown on 18th.

We really enjoyed the ship lecturers, however, I do not believe Juan Delgado ( the destination lecturer) said enough about Valparaiso. Valparaiso was amazing! Most people disembarking in Valparaiso go on fairly quickly to Santiago. We spent two and 1/2 days in Valparaiso and could have stayed longer. The street art was incredible, great restaurants and interesting historical sites. We used a local private tour company that was terrific.

I am enjoying reading all of the tips on this thread. We leave on Jan 26 for the Feb 1 cruise on the Crown. Packing is a challenge.

It truly is. Fire and Ice. Remember, layers is the way to go.

Try empanadas every chance you get and drink the Malbec wine.

We really enjoyed the ship lecturers, however, I do not believe Juan Delgado ( the destination lecturer) said enough about Valparaiso. Valparaiso was amazing! Most people disembarking in Valparaiso go on fairly quickly to Santiago. We spent two and 1/2 days in Valparaiso and could have stayed longer. The street art was incredible, great restaurants and interesting historical sites. We used a local private tour company that was terrific.

That's great to hear; we are spending 3 nights in Valparaiso prior to the cruise.

It what? Impossible, I look out the window and see with my very own eyes the sun moving around the earth. Silly, Shepp.

That's because Apollo is dragging it behind his chariot, of course.

Hey, I wonder how many cruisers are quite sure that the sun rises and sets on their, er….

Valparaiso was amazing! Most people disembarking in Valparaiso go on fairly quickly to Santiago. We spent two and 1/2 days in Valparaiso and could have stayed longer. The street art was incredible, great restaurants and interesting historical sites. We used a local private tour company that was terrific.

We really loved our stop in Valparaiso. Were you there after the big fire? Has it recovered?

For folks on upcoming Crown itineraries this winter, don't miss the destination lecturer (Julio Delgado). A number of our guides were amazed at how much information we already knew just from attending his lectures. We also enjoyed the scholarly lectures by Dr. Kus. The Princess theater was often filled for both lecturers.

Hi Jackie, hope you made it home without incident. We finally made it home and I'm going through the hundreds of photos we took. Came across a nice one of your sister and BIL at the Montevideo sign. My email is bksmith78@gmail.com have Linda email me if she's interested, I'm happy to send the picture on to her.

Belle

Hi Jackie, hope you made it home without incident. We finally made it home and I'm going through the hundreds of photos we took. Came across a nice one of your sister and BIL at the Montevideo sign. My email is bksmith78@gmail.com have Linda email me if she's interested, I'm happy to send the picture on to her.

Belle

Belle - no problems getting home other than surviving the 110 degree heat in Rio for 2 days (made the 2 days in Iguassu Falls with temps in the 90s seem much 'cooler' :D). I'll pass the info on to Linda. Joe is busy going through 1000+ photos. Thanks.

For anyone just off the Crown, how were the on board temperatures? We were on it in Oct/Nov and I froze. CD told me they were air conditioning Deck 7 to an room temp of about 70 F to control spread of germs. I was layering hoodies, wrapping up in blankets and had to but a pair of Sketchers on board to keep my feet warm. We will be back on her in 6 weeks, BA to FLL, and am wondering if I should pack a fur coat. BTW both DH and I caught the cold that was running rampant thru the ship - so their plan didn't work.

Susan

For anyone just off the Crown, how were the on board temperatures? We were on it in Oct/Nov and I froze. CD told me they were air conditioning Deck 7 to an room temp of about 70 F to control spread of germs. I was layering hoodies, wrapping up in blankets and had to but a pair of Sketchers on board to keep my feet warm. We will be back on her in 6 weeks, BA to FLL, and am wondering if I should pack a fur coat. BTW both DH and I caught the cold that was running rampant thru the ship - so their plan didn't work.

Susan

We were on the Crown from LA to Rio so the outside temps varied from low 40s (Tierra del Fuego) to 110 (Rio). The outside temps on a BA to Fort Lauderdale cruise should be comfortable (maybe too hot in Brazil but definitely not cold). I dressed more or less according to the outside temps (long sleeves and slacks or short sleeves and capris) and was comfortable on board but then I don't find a temp of 70 (if that was what it was set to) cold.

The only temperature related complaint I can remember was the first formal night in Botticelli (traditional dining) where it must have been in the 80s. Passengers and wait staff were suffering. Whatever the problem, it was fixed and didn't reoccur during the B2B cruises.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Temps aboard were fine. We didn't go around the Horn because we were trapped against the dock for 9 hours in Punta Arenas by 50 knot winds and had to get to Port Stanley. A Seabourn ship left there for Antartica the same day. Seas were never a problem, wind was relative over the deck 75 mph 1 day and 100 mph the next so no one was allowed out. It was windy in Port Stanley and on the Penguin tour it was 25 MPH and light showers, 40 degrees. Weather for S American ports is available on Weather.com

Crown Princess at 9:36 PM EST 1/16

• Departure was 2 d 3 hrs 36 min ago. (at 20:00 h local time)
  • Arrival will be in 1 d 5 hrs 24 min. (at 05:00 h local time)
  • Traveled distance since Punta Arenas: 924.36 nm (1,711.91 km)
  • Remaining distance to Valparaiso: 524.06 nm (970.56 km)
  • Traveled distance since Buenos Aires: 2,889.01 nm (5,350.45 km)

• Speed: 20.3 kn (37.6 km/h)
  • Course: 70°
  • Love how all the Police jumped on the Geography Bandwagon before brushing up on Magellan Strait and Beagle Channel. Beautiful place. Hauntingly peopleless.
  • I have a down jacket with hood and warm winter gloves and a wool hat so I was warm for about 1 hr then had to get out of the relentless wind in Falklands and S Chile.