Pets on the ship

Jamericannn

That's not correct. Support or comfort animals do not meet the ADA requirement and do not have to be allowed. Only certified "Service Animals" have to be allowed onboard.

I wonder how Carnival could enforce that without facing a lawsuit. Is there some type of database that businesses can use to prove it's a legit service animal and not just a therapy animal?

And hell no! Leave your therapy dogs at home! So sick of people getting around the rules. had to eat my lunch today next to a barking smelly yorkie that was a "therapy" dog with no vest or papers and the waitress didn't dare ask for proof.

I wonder how Carnival could enforce that without facing a lawsuit. .

That lawsuit wouldnt have a leg to stand on. The reason Carnival doesnt enforce it is just like the reason them or any other cruise line doesnt enforce certain rules. They dont want to offend anyone or make anyone mad. So alas, people bring their pets onboard under the guise of "service dog" :mad:

That lawsuit wouldnt have a leg to stand on. The reason Carnival doesnt enforce it is just like the reason them or any other cruise line doesnt enforce certain rules. They dont want to offend anyone or make anyone mad. So alas, people bring their pets onboard under the guise of "service dog" :mad:

And then, since they don't want the hassle of documentation for the various countries, they will put the "do not disturb" sign on the door, and leave the dog onboard when they go ashore. Been there, seen that.

Right, that's why I wondered if there was an actual way for the ship to check-that way if its not a truly legit service dog, they can deny boarding the ship. If someone is bringing on a pet just because they can't leave it home, then why should thousands of other people have to put up with barking, allergies, poops and pees, and a self important entitled pet owner. Now if its a legit service animal, and those are the obvious ones that are so clean and well behaved, no problem.

And then, since they don't want the hassle of documentation for the various countries, they will put the "do not disturb" sign on the door, and leave the dog onboard when they go ashore. Been there, seen that.

maybe since businesses can't legally ask, if other passengers constantly asked, the rule breakers would think twice.

Right, that's why I wondered if there was an actual way for the ship to check-that way if its not a truly legit service dog, they can deny boarding the ship. If someone is bringing on a pet just because they can't leave it home, then why should thousands of other people have to put up with barking, allergies, poops and pees, and a self important entitled pet owner. Now if its a legit service animal, and those are the obvious ones that are so clean and well behaved, no problem.

The only question the cruise line can ask is the same as any other business in the US: "what service is the animal trained to perform?". Now, can CLIA make rules about how, when, and where dogs can be allowed around the ship, and what services they will provide, and what "guest behavior" rules they set for the four legged guests (just like they do for the two legged ones)? Yep, and that would start to make it more of a pain for the non-service pets to be brought onboard.

The only question the cruise line can ask is the same as any other business in the US: "what service is the animal trained to perform?". Now, can CLIA make rules about how, when, and where dogs can be allowed around the ship, and what services they will provide, and what "guest behavior" rules they set for the four legged guests (just like they do for the two legged ones)? Yep, and that would start to make it more of a pain for the non-service pets to be brought onboard.

Couldn't they somehow require official documentation the same way that they can when requesting to book a HC cabin? Or is it the fact that there is no standard for what constitutes a service animal as medically necessary? I'm not familiar with how all this works.

Couldn't they somehow require official documentation the same way that they can when requesting to book a HC cabin? Or is it the fact that there is no standard for what constitutes a service animal as medically necessary? I'm not familiar with how all this works.

Not all lines require documentation when booking an accessible cabin either. And no, there is no medical documentation that says a person must have a service animal, to my knowledge. Just as there are blind people who do not use guide dogs, and there are those who do.

So where DO properly trained service dogs relieve themselves on the ship? There must be some sort of accommodations.

When the ship is notified that a service dog is going to be onboard, a small potty area (maybe 3'x3' or 4'x4') with either sand, litter, newspaper, or some similar material will be provided in an out of the way corner of the promenade deck. Service animals are trained to only relieve themselves on command. Crew will be assigned to deal with the "product", which will be bagged in a bio-hazard bag and incinerated.

When the ship is notified that a service dog is going to be onboard, a small potty area (maybe 3'x3' or 4'x4') with either sand, litter, newspaper, or some similar material will be provided in an out of the way corner of the promenade deck. Service animals are trained to only relieve themselves on command. Crew will be assigned to deal with the "product", which will be bagged in a bio-hazard bag and incinerated.

Not to be confused with the non service animal .

The cruise industry has dogged the ADA based on ships registry. It would be a remarkable expense to retrofit some of the fleet.

To the posting; their are two kinds of animal certification. Therapy dogs go through an expensive screening and training to meet the national requirements. Most nursing homes and hospitals want that certification. We volunteer with our golden retrieved at a veterans PTSD center.

Emotional support animals don't need to meet that requirement. It's a hot topic amongst business owners as to the liabilities and hygiene issues. As of now someone cannot show up with their animal and a certificate and expect to board. Let's hope that doesn't change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by BallFour4

The cruise industry has dogged the ADA based on ships registry. It would be a remarkable expense to retrofit some of the fleet.

To the posting; their are two kinds of animal certification. Therapy dogs go through an expensive screening and training to meet the national requirements. Most nursing homes and hospitals want that certification. We volunteer with our golden retrieved at a veterans PTSD center.

Emotional support animals don't need to meet that requirement. It's a hot topic amongst business owners as to the liabilities and hygiene issues. As of now someone cannot show up with their animal and a certificate and expect to board. Let's hope that doesn't change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a lady sitting next to us at dinner on the Pride NYE cruise who had a service dog. Only the 2nd time we have seen a service animal on a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had a lady sitting next to us at dinner on the Pride NYE cruise who had a service dog. Only the 2nd time we have seen a service animal on a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have crazy people cruising with you. Especially those on an aft balcony nearby.

Edited by BallFour4

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one ship that allows pet dogs and cats on board (there may be more that I'm not aware of.) The QM2 allows them on transatlantic voyages, but they have to stay in the on board kennel, and there are some other restrictions/requirements as well. They can't be kept in the guests' staterooms, and they're not allowed to roam the ship.

We were on a cruise last year and had lady bring her dog into MDR, they were seated in booth away from general service. I'm OK if it's really a service dog, but when dog is being carried in by husband on a silk pillow, well it just seems a bit odd. Understood that dog was "necessary" due to a sleeping disorder. Again a bit odd as I've never seen anyone asleep in MDR. There must have been some complaints next day dog was walked in and with service vest. The dog was absent from MDR after that.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

As of now someone cannot show up with their animal and a certificate and expect to board

Actually they pretty much can and they do. Any "certification" for a service dog isnt worth the paper its written on really. You can buy them on ebay. They dont even have to have a Canine Good Citizen endorsement in fact. Not to mention that its against ADA laws to even ask for certification, proof of training etc. If a nursing home is asking for this "certification", they are clearly violating the ADA and could be fined heavily. Since the ships sail from US ports, Im pretty sure they do have to abide by ADA laws for the most part no matter where they are registered. This is how people are able to get their pet onboard under the guise of a service dog and we read about these stories all the time. The cruise lines hands are pretty much tied unfortunately. The only real requirement I know that Carnival has is you have to notify them first before boarding and the dog has to have all its shot records and a Vet Cert for foreign ports.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.
Edited by ryano

We were on a cruise last year and had lady bring her dog into MDR, they were seated in booth away from general service. I'm OK if it's really a service dog, but when dog is being carried in by husband on a silk pillow, well it just seems a bit odd. Understood that dog was "necessary" due to a sleeping disorder. Again a bit odd as I've never seen anyone asleep in MDR. There must have been some complaints next day dog was walked in and with service vest. The dog was absent from MDR after that.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

That is just some spoiled lady that can leave Fido at home :mad:

That is just some spoiled lady that can leave Fido at home :mad:

I do have to admit, that is exactly what went thru my ind as she brought the pooch down to dinner every night (and dressed it up on cruise elegant nights).