Tortola & St.Thomas EXCURSIONS?

Frookoos

There are so many! For St. Thomas, we took our kids to do a resort for a day at Marriott. Look for the family friendly excursions if you don't want to do a beach.

It was super easy to get to and included food and drinks and towels. For Tortola, just a local beach like Cane Garden or Brewer's Bay.

The Virgin Gordas out of Tortola is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Going down through the caves to the beautiful beach on a cover surrounded by rock formations...wow. I would rate this on one of the top 3 favourite excursions and I've been on 11 cruises.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I'm assuming that's the same as the "baths"? If so, do you think my four year old can navigate the terrain? Thanks so much!

The four year old will navigate it easier than you will. It is a bunch of climbing, splashing through puddles, and going in small spaces. The four year old will love it!

While I agree your four-year old will love it, it is very hard to maneuver as an adult and if you are nervous about your child even in a little bit of water and like to hold on to them, you cannot do that all the way through with a child. I had a 5-yr old at the baths 2 years ago and was a complete mess the whole time. It is an experience you don't want to miss, but check out photos, video and the terrain ahead of time so you know you are prepared. And make sure you have 2 hands completely free to navigate and assist your child. Sandwich them between you and another responsible adult. Check out mitsugirly's recent Epic review to get an idea about the terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Family of 5 (youngest is 4yo) would like to know the best family friendly excursions on Tortola & St. Thomas? Would love to know your suggestions :)

we booked on our own passes to Blackbeard's Castle. It was a good time, and you get use of the pools.

While I agree your four-year old will love it, it is very hard to maneuver as an adult and if you are nervous about your child even in a little bit of water and like to hold on to them, you cannot do that all the way through with a child. I had a 5-yr old at the baths 2 years ago and was a complete mess the whole time. It is an experience you don't want to miss, but check out photos, video and the terrain ahead of time so you know you are prepared. And make sure you have 2 hands completely free to navigate and assist your child. Sandwich them between you and another responsible adult. Check out mitsugirly's recent Epic review to get an idea about the terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends on your child. My son started to climb out of his crib at a super early age and literally climbed everything from that point on. He was able to do the caves on Virgin Gorda last year at 4.5 years old and we're going back this year. Also we used a puddle jumper on him (those life vest type things) and a dry bag (find one on amazon) which keeps your gear dry in all the knee high water :)

Don't be discouraged! It's definitely doable, but it depends on your kid!

Hi,

He's a super active & STRONG 4.5 year old...so thinking maybe he can do it after your post, thanks! I have the puddle jumper and life jacket - couldn't decide which to pack for the cruise. So you think the puddle jumper is sufficient enough? Trying to get a visual - are we walking through tight spaces in the water - between rocks? Or climbing up onto rocks in the water? Definitely, water shoes, right? The water bag - did you put all of your belongings for the day in it? Did you organize this tour through the ship or on your own? Seriously appreciate it!!!!!

Hi,

He's a super active & STRONG 4.5 year old...so thinking maybe he can do it after your post, thanks! I have the puddle jumper and life jacket - couldn't decide which to pack for the cruise. So you think the puddle jumper is sufficient enough? Trying to get a visual - are we walking through tight spaces in the water - between rocks? Or climbing up onto rocks in the water? Definitely, water shoes, right? The water bag - did you put all of your belongings for the day in it? Did you organize this tour through the ship or on your own? Seriously appreciate it!!!!!

He sounds like my little guy, never sits still, fearless lol :D

Not sure which is better, life jacket vs puddle jumper. That is a good question though. The puddle jumper worked for him. The sea was rough that day when we got to the ocean so no one could really swim far out.

The dry bag we got is from amazon. It's a roll top and kept all our phones dry. But I was crazy and also put them in ziploc bags inside just in case. Here is the brand we bought:

https://www.amazon.com/SKORCH-Waterproof-Backpack-Comfortable-Adventure/dp/B00TSEV83W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484269110&sr=8-3&keywords=skorch+bags

It definitely worked and we didn't have to worry about it. I think I had three ship towels in there and some snacks and clothes.

Since our cruise was only on Tortola for a half day we booked the Norwegian tour and they took car of scheduling the ferries to Virgin Gorda and back and the bus ride to and back from the Caves/Devil's Bay. But this time since we're on Tortola for the full day we're going to try to DIY lol Hopefully it will be ok.

My husband and son wore water shoes and were okay, I think wore those slingback Crocs and didn't have a problem.

That's a walkthrough if you don't mind spoilers. This time I am bringing a Go Pro :) Some spots are dark, but it's at most shady. I don't remember the water being as high when we went, these people are walking around waist high, but I think that depends on the time you go. I think we were there around 8:30 AM and left before 11:00 AM?

I tried uploading a picture to this reply, hopefully it works!!

20160208_073416.jpg.ed05c9d727422b9d32e1f1b928803a3c.jpg

Edited by UnaPalomita

Forgot to post about St. Thomas! Magen's Bay has a gorgeous beach! There are really nice bathrooms and a snack stand. If you walk all the way to the left when you get there, the crowds thin out. The bus ride there is crazy, but that's island life. We got off the boat and negotiated a small bus ride there ourselves.

It's also the place they filmed Bella and Edward's honeymoon in Breaking Dawn :p

The shopping area downtown is a fun place to walk around too. My husband enjoyed Bones Rum, they had slushies you can add as much or as little rum to it as you want. Also some great duty free cosmetic and fragrance shopping :)

Last year we went to Secret Harbour instead of Megan's Bay. It had some really nice snorkeling spots. Easy to see from shore, but I liked Megan's Bay a lot better :)

20150204_085924.jpg.c0f6738b83a4e58410f110075d3eeafb.jpg

I second the waterproof bag concept for the Baths or any excursion. I bought one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice-Waterproof-Container-iPhone/dp/B00VAZVT6I/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1484279640&sr=8-11&keywords=scuba+case+yellow

It holds my phone, credit cards, cash and all four of our passports. I too, put everything in a couple of zip lock bags inside it. But it has yet to leak. When we were at the baths snorkeling, I just kept it around my wrist and we could leave our old backpack with towels and waters in it on the beach.

We also did the Baths and loved it! As long as your kids don't mind walking and climbing, they will enjoy it. The ride to/from takes a bit and can be pretty hot (part my kids did not enjoy at all).

We took a cab to Coki beach in St. Thomas and enjoyed the day there. Lots of fish and iguanas all over.