Sail away vs early dinner

956wenbrook

We sometimes sail as a couple and other times with some or all of our 8 children. When sailing with our family, we wouldn't choose dining room over sail away party. We have watched lines cast off and waved to the port cam from our balcony ( if we have a big wrap) or we will dance at the deck party. No way we could all sit at dinner and miss the festivities.

With that said, when it is just my husband and I, we will watch from our balcony or go take advantage of an area of the ship that is usually bustling while everyone else is attending the festivities :)

I wouldn't arrive at timed dining 30 minutes late, even if I told the waiter ahead of time.

956wenbrook...Have you considered doing Select Dining after the sail-away?

Not sure. Having said that we like the set time dinner and if we get a large table meeting and dining with others. Plus we enjoy the same waiter and stuff. We = wife and I.

I may not know enough about select dining? Is that the specialty restaurants? Sorry I am not knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think a lot may matter on where you are cruising from. I have skipped some sail always but would never miss going under the Golden Gate in SF or the Lionsgate in Vancouver as examples. LA is less interesting and I guess I have been out of Fort Lauderdale to often.

Kids may eat free but it's a crappy kids menu. Our 11 year old granddaughter had to have the pork belly appetizer, the shrimp starter, 8 oz. filet, and mud pie. Can't belive how much she eats and how skinny she stays, maybe all day on the flow rider and rock wall is good for the body.. happy cruising

Not sure. Having said that we like the set time dinner and if we get a large table meeting and dining with others. Plus we enjoy the same waiter and stuff. We = wife and I.

I may not know enough about select dining? Is that the specialty restaurants? Sorry I am not knowledgeable.

This? http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options

Flexible = select? I don't see a select plan.

On Celebrity it's called Select and RCI My Time Dining. Same same, no additional charge.

Edited by davekathy

With kids your age, I wouldn't miss the sail away! Sparkling cider, beads, hats, and horns!

I loved cruising with my kids at that age. Before you know it they will be into high school sports or other activities and won't be going with you. I would soak it all in (no matter what port you are sailing from, or who says there is no sail away party, I would make a party!).

IMO the "party" part of sailaway is a waste of time, especially if there are waitstaff bringing around tempting drinks that you didn't order, and then they are not free, LOL. I like to stand on deck at every sailaway from every port, just to see the sights. You may never get back to those places again, so why not take some time and appreciate them?

Of course I'm not a big MDR fan either. I like to eat on deck.

The great disappointment on our first cruise was that dinner coincided with every sailaway, so I never saw that slow pull away from the dock, nor the island disappearing to the horizon. Being first timers, we didn't even realise that we could eat in the buffet instead!

I never miss watching from the side now; I might wander into the party to enoy people's reactions, but it's the views from the ship I really want.

(The video of The Great British Sailaway shown is a great experience on P&O ships, but it's as we're leaving the final port. ;) )

Like many others, we'd never miss a sail-away - my favorite part of cruising (along with sailing into ports, especially if it coincides with sunrise!). It has nothing to do with the 'party', it's watching the shore men casting off lines, the tugs if they're used, the pilot leaving the ship, people waving from the shore or small boats - just experiencing the entire feel of the area. Some are more special than others - Vancouver, Sydney, San Francisco, New York, anywhere in Hawaii, but they're each a unique experience. We've even had dolphins entertain us of several sail-aways. We always do 'My Time' dining or whatever it's called on the line we're cruising on, just so that we can time our dinner to never miss sail-away and/or sunset.