Etiquette Question

Fish Lover

I can't imagine why that would be a problem if you're not holding up a line or something. You may want to make sure the area is rinsed so that others don't slip or are otherwise bothered by your residue, but that should be an easy thing to do.

If the salt bothers your body, it likely isn't too great for your hair either. If you're on the way back to your room then you likely wouldn't have to worry, but if you plan to lay around a while it would be pretty inconvenient to just go back to the room to shampoo then come back (and then if you saved your chair you'd likely get accused in a different thread) :rolleyes:

If the showers are really busy and there are people having to wait then it might be nicer for you to just to just go to your room for that part.

Tom

I'm from Australia and no pools at school - that would be bliss.

Nope we don't rinse here before dipping in, just jump in. Basically the pool is right at the entry in most places and showers way off somewhere else. We all tend to turn up in our swimwear and just jump in then go to the showers to rinse and get changed into clothes. Sometimes we just dry off and go straight home to change and wash.

Like I said, seems all cultures and countries are different.

The sign by the pools on the ship with the "rules" specifically ask you to shower before entering. I always do. Many don't.

Omg seriously?! The showers are for rinsing off. Wash your hair in the privacy of your own shower.

What's next - bringing your razor and shaving your legs?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Now you have me thinking, but I don't think my wife would like me with shaved legs :confused:

I think that was a very good and intelligent question that many of you answered quite well! So many have allowed different kinds of ettiequte to be lost in translation. And yes, culture is very important when you are traveling.:cool: I was also interested in your answers.

Thank you!

Personally, I like my own shower and feel most comfortable in it, but sometimes that is not convenient.

Edited by Lastdance

I was starting to think I was doing something wrong not rinsing before getting in the pool so last night at work I asked about 20 people, do you rinse before hoping in the pool - the main answer for Aussies was nope, and gave me the same look I had when I read about it.

Since it seems a big thing though for U.K., USA and Canada, I will rinse before I get in on my RC cruise now so not to offend anyone - honestly I never even thought it was a thing until now.

What do you do at a beach or regular (not ship) pool?

My hair is longish and I put it in a ponytail when swimming. I've also seen women wearing (GASP!) old fashioned...omg I've forgotten the name of them...you know those old rubber things women would put on their heads. I recall when they were a must because pools didn't want their drains clogged with hair.

They are called bathing caps. On New Years Eve, we were visiting relatives and decided to visit their hot tub. We did not want to get our heads wet as it was quite cool outside, so we all put on shower caps. :D We looked hilarious!

Excellent idea! Thank you. Since this is only an issue on the ship, it never occurred to me.

;)

My hair is longish and I put it in a ponytail when swimming. I've also seen women wearing (GASP!) old fashioned...omg I've forgotten the name of them...you know those old rubber things women would put on their heads. I recall when they were a must because pools didn't want their drains clogged with hair.

These days they are more likely the new fashioned type swim caps worn by competitive swimmers, both men and women.

I recently learned that some even wear two of them, made of different materials.

Here's why some Olympic swimmers wear two swim caps

These days they are more likely the new fashioned type swim caps worn by competitive swimmers, both men and women.

I recently learned that some even wear two of them, made of different materials.

Here's why some Olympic swimmers wear two swim caps

You learn something new every day! I remember noticing the two caps, but never looked it up.

Now, does everyone know why water polo players wear two sets of swimming trunks?

I don't see it as anything to do with etiquette.

When I get out of our pool I shower and shampoo my hair. If I used a pool on a ship I would dry off, wrap a towel around, go to my cabin and shower and shampoo just like I do at home.

The shower is to 'rinse off', not take a shower.

When I get out of our pool I shower and shampoo my hair. If I used a pool on a ship I would dry off, wrap a towel around, go to my cabin and shower and shampoo just like I do at home.

This! It's for rinsing off and nothing else.

Yes, the one right at the pool is to rinse off - the one inside the locker room (merely steps away) is a real shower. Many times you read about crowded cabins where one or more person (usually the male of the bunch) is relegated to showering in the locker room while the girls use the cabin bathroom to get ready.

Yes, the one right at the pool is to rinse off - the one inside the locker room (merely steps away) is a real shower. Many times you read about crowded cabins where one or more person (usually the male of the bunch) is relegated to showering in the locker room while the girls use the cabin bathroom to get ready.

That shower in the locker room is very nice with plenty of towels & a locker to lock some toiletries and clothes nearby. On sea days I enjoy to rise early & get in a work-out for about an hour at the the fitness area. The fitness center is usually empty around 6am when it first opens. Then use the sauna & shower in the locker room. Then I go get the wife and we go to breakfast :)

This is not so much a matter of etiquette as it is Safety.

Personal care products, sweat, and urine contain chemicals of one sort or another. When these chemicals combine with the disinfectant chemicals utilized by the pool operator, dangerous by products result. A Chlorine smell in the air is one of those by products.

If people shampooed their hair at the rinse shower and the next person walks in the sudsy residue and then carries it into the pool, it is just one more chemical reaction that takes place in that pool water.

Omg seriously?! The showers are for rinsing off. Wash your hair in the privacy of your own shower.

What's next - bringing your razor and shaving your legs?

Still laughing at your comment, that was a great come back!! I still love the people that come to that pool in their bathrobe !!)

This is not so much a matter of etiquette as it is Safety.

Personal care products, sweat, and urine contain chemicals of one sort or another. When these chemicals combine with the disinfectant chemicals utilized by the pool operator, dangerous by products result. A Chlorine smell in the air is one of those by products.

If people shampooed their hair at the rinse shower and the next person walks in the sudsy residue and then carries it into the pool, it is just one more chemical reaction that takes place in that pool water.

No one has to even walk in it...at least on the M-class, the waves from the movement of the ship sometimes causes the water to slosh over the side to wear the chairs are, and all over both sets of steps, and obviously that shower. Any suds there will be washed right into the pool (haven't been on the S class yet so don't know the solarium pool set-up).