Which cabin NOT to pick.....

Vera123

Just saw a thread on the general forum regarding advice on which cabins NOT to pick for whatever reason.

The thread shared mainly american cruises and couldn't see any Europe/Cunard comments, so thought it might be fun to have a Cunard one on here.

As I am a cruise virgin, I can't offer any tips on previous cabins as I haven't had any (!!!) but as with hotel rooms, I know to avoid cabins above or below public spaces such as restaurants as the noise of chairs scraping is soooooo annoying. My OH uses earplugs at night but I just cant seem to get on with them so I get annoyed pretty quickly.

For my upcoming cruise, I very nearly booked a balcony cabin on Deck 8 but luckily checked the deck plan last minute to find that the cabin would have been below the pool area. So quickly changed it to a Deck 7 cabin where there are cabins above and below and opposite! Hopefully I made the right choice.

So if any of you have any advice on cabins to avoid on the Queens, it would be really helpful for fellow passengers.

I would definitely not choose these.

QV - 8078 (PG) - Below a vinyl covered walkway between winter garden and Lido where trolleys trundle over a raised room divider lip and noisy footsteps walking above. Also, constant noise from whack of golf balls from deck 10.

QE - 6092 (PG) - a door to a room opposite where stewards replenish trolleys and congregate outside talking very early in the morning.

QE - 5092 (BA) - friends had this cabin. The balcony is covered by the balcony above so no sunlight and makes the room very dark.

On QM2 the Deck 11 staterooms have an overhang from Deck 12 beginning 1/3 to 1/2 way back. One caution I got from YoYo in the QM2 sales office is that if you book Deck 11 forward there's a chance you could get "upgraded" to a midship stateroom with the overhang.

It's conventional wisdom for a QM2 sheltered balcony (4/5/6) that deck 5 doesn't suffer from having the promenade above like Deck 6 or public spaces below like Deck 4.

Edited by Underwatr

If you sleep late in the morning and are troubled by noise, don't get a cabin on Deck 4 forward on QV (and I presume QE). As the ship arrives in port, and then leaves in the afternoon, you get up to an hour of a high-pitched sound from the thrusters.

Edited by fantasy51

We have been on several difference ships including the Cunard ships and the layouts sometimes makes a difference of the layouts. If below the Outside Decks or the Lido Decks.

On the Mary we were in the Britannia Club Deck 12 Cabins and only in the early more heard a little from above when they placed the deck chairs out and really didn't bother us at all.

On another ship we were below the Lido and once below the area like the King's Court and again only once during the Morning Setup did we heard minor noise.

Yes, Pantries can be busy but twice didn't bother us. Actually it helped us as they were there anytime we needed them.

I have always avoided deck 8 under the lido.

On our last cruise in December, (PG) we sat next to a delightful elderly couple and the lady explained she was a little hard of hearing when we spoke. During the cruise even they mentioned the noise from the lido, but I do not know which PG deck 8 cabin they were in.

Our preferences are deck 4 or 7 for PG, and mostly the same for other rooms.

I would never have an inter-connecting cabin on QM2. Booked 8025 once without realising it was linked to another room and we were kept awake for the first few nights by loud conversation in the early hours in either Mandarin or Cantonese. Eventually, we had to get the purser's office to call the passengers and ask them to be quiet (which they did, to be fair.). There is little sound-proofing between such cabins although I subsequently found out you could request some sort of privacy screen from your steward - however, I'd always avoid them unless you're a heavy sleeper and early riser (our next door neighbours not only stayed up late but they got up early too!). Furthermore, the cabin didn't feel truly private with that ugly door half way down the wall.

We had an interconnecting room on our QM2 TA and we never heard a peep. The first half week I wasn't sure there was anyone in there.

But for next Christmas on 11 I selected away from connecting rooms (the furthest-back BF cabins on 11 Forward are mostly connecting).

Edited by Underwatr

I would never have an inter-connecting cabin on QM2. Booked 8025 once without realising it was linked to another room and we were kept awake for the first few nights by loud conversation in the early hours in either Mandarin or Cantonese. Eventually, we had to get the purser's office to call the passengers and ask them to be quiet (which they did, to be fair.). There is little sound-proofing between such cabins although I subsequently found out you could request some sort of privacy screen from your steward - however, I'd always avoid them unless you're a heavy sleeper and early riser (our next door neighbours not only stayed up late but they got up early too!). Furthermore, the cabin didn't feel truly private with that ugly door half way down the wall.

We once had a cabin with interconnecting doors on the QM2 and we could hear our neighbours. That's the first thing I look to avoid when picking a room on the QM2. Thankfully the other two Queens don't have them.

I also agree with your last sentiment.

Cabin 6148 on QV is the noisiest cabin I've ever experienced. The cabin next door is 6146 and has the TV positioned on the wall on the other side of the bed head of 6148. From 6.30am every morning we were woken by the people next door watching tv, when we wanted to relax in our cabin in the afternoons we were disturbed by constant noise of sport on the tv and as late as 1.30am we were kept awake. I complained every day sometimes more than once a day. (As requested to) There was a slight reduction in the volume after I first complained but no real improvement and guest relations didn't seem to be able to resolve the issue, although we enjoyed the cruise I couldn't wait to go home for a sleep past 6.30am! :(

Also there are two doors opposite this cabin where cabin attendants keep supplies and the attendant also leaves his cart to the right of the cabin door, where the shape of the next cabin creates a recess, all this creates more noise.

Cabin 6148 on QV is the noisiest cabin I've ever experienced. The cabin next door is 6146 and has the TV positioned on the wall on the other side of the bed head of 6148. From 6.30am every morning we were woken by the people next door watching tv, when we wanted to relax in our cabin in the afternoons we were disturbed by constant noise of sport on the tv and as late as 1.30am we were kept awake. I complained every day sometimes more than once a day. (As requested to) There was a slight reduction in the volume after I first complained but no real improvement and guest relations didn't seem to be able to resolve the issue, although we enjoyed the cruise I couldn't wait to go home for a sleep past 6.30am! :(

Also there are two doors opposite this cabin where cabin attendants keep supplies and the attendant also leaves his cart to the right of the cabin door, where the shape of the next cabin creates a recess, all this creates more noise.

I can sympathise with you and so I took a look at the QV deck plans. They show room 6148 as having the bathroom on the left hand side. This usually means that the bed is on the left hand side and so the bed head would be on the wall that shares with cabin 6150.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/Documents/2016-2017-deck-plans/QV-deck-plans-2082016-2017.pdf

So either the deck plan is wrong or I've got something wrong?