HMC Experience with Cabana5

bunchesofun

Hi, we have decided that Cabana 5 might be a good one for us as we have some mobility challenged people and it is near the rest rooms and the food. Our understanding is that there is both a shuttle and a train that would take us nearly there.

How far of a walk from the shuttle or train to the cabana? On paved or sandy trail? Slope or steps to the cabana? I know there are steps into the cabana at the front.

The "handicapped" cabana is #1 but it is so far from the food that might be difficult. There are 6 of us. Two teens and four adults.

Anything else we need to know about it?

As commonly discussed here, the only cabana with paved access is cabana #1. Cabana #1 also has a ramp. All others have sand paths and steps only for access.

The shuttle is a truck with steep steps into it. Not particularly friendly for mobility issues.

While we have stayed in a number of cabanas, we have not stayed in #5. It is immediately adjacent to the Pirate bar, so music/noise might be an issue.

As commonly discussed here, the only cabana with paved access is cabana #1. Cabana #1 also has a ramp. All others have sand paths and steps only for access.

The shuttle is a truck with steep steps into it. Not particularly friendly for mobility issues.

While we have stayed in a number of cabanas, we have not stayed in #5. It is immediately adjacent to the Pirate bar, so music/noise might be an issue.

Thanks. Trying to weigh all the options. IF mobility scooters are allowed to tender we'd still have to leave them on the path behind #5. If we get #1 we can park them on the path itself as it only leads to the cabana.

On the other hand, if scooters are NOT allowed to tender, we have rollators (wheeled walkers) to assist us and could walk to #1, but if the shuttle and train are not friendly for mobility challenged people, that could be a problem for Cabana #5.

Six of one and half a dozen of another. That plus the distance to the food from #1. However we have two teens with us we might just have to send them for our food :) from #1.

We are too stubborn to admit defeat and not go! We'll make it work somehow.

Yes...you will make it work. The distances aren't THAT far....so those WITH mobility can go and grab what the non-mobile folks might need. Not sure anything but the "sand-chairs" will be of use on the beach.....

An option is staying on the ship..it's will be less than 1/2 full on that day....makes for a lovely pool day!

Check the board. I believe the paved path to #1 also continues to the beach.

I've seen pictures. It only "continues to the beach" if they walk through the cabana itself and down it's steps. The blog I read said they had to put one of the loungers across the opening to keep people from walking through the cabana to get to the beach.

Yes...you will make it work. The distances aren't THAT far....so those WITH mobility can go and grab what the non-mobile folks might need. Not sure anything but the "sand-chairs" will be of use on the beach.....

An option is staying on the ship..it's will be less than 1/2 full on that day....makes for a lovely pool day!

We thought about that too, but this is our first time to HMC we really do want to participate. Going ashore to Margaritaville at Grand Turk, but probably only to Senior Frog's at Freeport for some freshly made guacamole and chips!

So we decided that Cabana #1 would be better for us. If push come to shove we can send the teens for our food if it's too far and we don't have the scooters.

I contacted special needs and they have reserved Cabana #1 for us. I will, of course, bring the email with me and try and be at the excursions desk sharply, but at least we should be able to get it.