Ship to shore phone quality on Gem

fraidknot

So I am sailing on the Gem in 2 weeks, and unfortunately, I can't escape working while on the trip. I will need to do a phone call each day we have that bonus package which allows free unlimited calls from our stateroom phone to shore, so that's great... but: What kind of quality might I expect for these calls? Dropped calls? Noise on the line? Etc? Anyone with experience using while at sea or while in port?

And of course, I'd love to not have this problem, but this is what pays the bills that puts us on the ship.. 20 minutes of work a day seems worth it.

Thanks for any feedback!

John

So I am sailing on the Gem in 2 weeks, and unfortunately, I can't escape working while on the trip. I will need to do a phone call each day we have that bonus package which allows free unlimited calls from our stateroom phone to shore, so that's great... but: What kind of quality might I expect for these calls? Dropped calls? Noise on the line? Etc? Anyone with experience using while at sea or while in port?

And of course, I'd love to not have this problem, but this is what pays the bills that puts us on the ship.. 20 minutes of work a day seems worth it.

Thanks for any feedback!

John

Will you be using the wi-fi too? I don't think too many people use the phone and that special is fairly new so probably not going to be a lot of replies. The normal rate is $4.99/minute IIRC.

Will you be using the wi-fi too? I don't think too many people use the phone and that special is fairly new so probably not going to be a lot of replies. The normal rate is $4.99/minute IIRC.

ah, thanks, good point. After all, i have been cruising for decades now and never once used it!

Yes, i will be using wifi (and based on previous cruise wifi experience, im doubtful i could pull off a VOIP call). If a cell connection is cleaner/better, i might just have to plan for my Sprint bill to skyrocket. :(

Ok, sort of unrelated to my original question but thought I'd put what i found out here anyway. I just had a chat with Sprint my cell phone carrier and shipboard calls are not included, but Sprint Global Roaming is included in my plan (and most plans). So $0.20/min for most non-us countries and free data. Puerto Rico and the USVI however are treated as the US, so no charges.

It seems like a combo of ship to shore and cell phones on land will make this all work okay.

ah, thanks, good point. After all, i have been cruising for decades now and never once used it!

Yes, i will be using wifi (and based on previous cruise wifi experience, im doubtful i could pull off a VOIP call). If a cell connection is cleaner/better, i might just have to plan for my Sprint bill to skyrocket. :(

So,,, your sprint connection using the ship's cell tower and the desk phone in your cabin will use the same connection to shore.

Assuming that the Gem had their internet upgrade over the summer, your VOIP may work o.k. We normally have had good luck using Skype voice (flat fee to dial back to the US) and Facetime voice (assuming both parties have an iphone). Periodic dropped calls, but generally o.k.

Since this is work-related, can't you get them to reimburse you for your phone charges? If so...I wouldn't worry about the cost!

Haha I guess everyone loves a good tax deduction; in this case "they" is me. Thanks for all the feedback folks. I am feeling more confident this will work out.

I can tell you from our experience on Gem a few weeks ago on any given day and during the night, the wi-fi and cell (using our own phone) stunk. Even the shipboard stuff reliant on connection to Miami crashed for several hours.

We had 250 minutes of wi-fi and left 188 on the table it was so bad. Using cell most calls were garbled. Texting worked o.k.

We sailed on the POA and Spirit a few months earlier and wi-fi worked fine and cell worked fine on Spirit (no cell on POA).

Good luck when you go - hopefully things will be better.