Travelling with Medication

I'm taking the Golden Princess from Auckland to Melbourne, leaving Feb 9th. I'm then staying in Melb for 3 weeks and returning on the Golden Princess (leaving March 5th I think).

I am on medication for a chronic illness, and I am wondering if anyone knows what the process for taking medication on to the cruise ship is? And then for getting medication through customs in to Australia? I will need to take 1 months supply (if not a little extra), so my supply might look large (although it's only 1-2 pills a day?) and I am concerned about being question over this and explaining myself... can someone please tell me what the process is, what documentation I need and what the best way to travel with medication is?

Many thanks and happy cruising :)

I'm taking the Golden Princess from Auckland to Melbourne, leaving Feb 9th. I'm then staying in Melb for 3 weeks and returning on the Golden Princess (leaving March 5th I think).

I am on medication for a chronic illness, and I am wondering if anyone knows what the process for taking medication on to the cruise ship is? And then for getting medication through customs in to Australia? I will need to take 1 months supply (if not a little extra), so my supply might look large (although it's only 1-2 pills a day?) and I am concerned about being question over this and explaining myself... can someone please tell me what the process is, what documentation I need and what the best way to travel with medication is?

Many thanks and happy cruising :)

Never had aproblem taking any medication on a ship, and I've been on some strong stuff. Nor taking it off when I get home, but I carry it in its package and it's to and from Aus, so I wouldn't expect an issue.

I got pulled over by the federal police once getting off a ship. "The sniffer dog took a keen interest in your bag. Please come with us."

Went through the basic questioning and then unlocked and opened my bag. They flipped it open and saw my medication that was there, and one fellow said that the dog might have got confused.

They looked at the meds labels, and then checked through my bag to see if there was anything else there, but there was no illicit drugs, just several packets of cigarettes and some cigars. They let me go and even told customs I was right to leave.

Nice fellows. :)

I got pulled over by the federal police once getting off a ship. "The sniffer dog took a keen interest in your bag. Please come with us."

Went through the basic questioning and then unlocked and opened my bag. They flipped it open and saw my medication that was there, and one fellow said that the dog might have got confused.

They looked at the meds labels, and then checked through my bag to see if there was anything else there, but there was no illicit drugs, just several packets of cigarettes and some cigars. They let me go and even told customs I was right to leave.

Nice fellows. :)

Had similar when I was on pretty heavy opioids

You'll be fine. I've been travelling between Australia and NZ (and various other places around the world) for years carrying prescribed meds without any issues.

Do make sure you take them in your carry-on though, just in case a bag goes wandering off on it's own.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

You'll be fine. I've been travelling between Australia and NZ (and various other places around the world) for years carrying prescribed meds without any issues.

Do make sure you take them in your carry-on though, just in case a bag goes wandering off on it's own.

Yep, medications alwaysin your carry on.

In the US each med comes with a patient information sheet. It describes the med and says what it is for. I put those sheets in my carry on. They take no room. If I ever have my bag searched, I'll be able to show why I am carrying each med.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am a regular visitor to Australia and between she who must be obeyed and me we have a portable pharmacy with us. We also bring just in case drugs for cruises. We were asked once what meds we had and had trouble listing everything verbally so these days we make a list of all prescribed meds and over the counter meds we have with us. When the customs officer asks us are the declared drugs on the arrival form personal meds we say yes and offer them the list. No problems or issues. We have the same list for all overseas countries available by border protection staff if required including those on our return home.

Just returned (sadly) from Australia. Both my husband and I have a lot of prescribed medications. When we entered Australia, both from the United States and a cruise from New Zealand, we just filled out the decorations form and checked yes on the one part about the medications. Customs officials just asked us if they were prescription drugs and when we replied that they were, they said fine and we went on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always take a back up supply of my meds.

One supply in my hand luggage and one supply in my check in baggage. Just in case one goes astray along the way!

We are sometimes away for 50 days at a time, but IMO, worth the effort. Thankfully, I haven't needed to call on my back up supply, but Murphy's Law....well you know how that goes!

Given the average age of cruisers over the past 4 decades - border control in all countries is accustomed to mass medication carrying!

If you are entering a country where certain ones are prohibited (generally available on government quarantine sites) its best to carry a prescription and letter from your doctor to be safe.

We traveled with newly prescribed insulin for the first time just before Christmas. Got a letter from the doctor listing all meds and the conditions they were for, plus the extra equipment needed for insulin - needles, pens, testing machine etc. All carried as hand luggage in a special insulated bag with a pharma name on it. No problems in to or out of Oz but a bit of a hold up leaving Fiji while the staff examined the medications bag in detail and checked the list of items. We always carry prescriptions too when travelling - just in case someone queries a particular medication.