Sitka and Icy Straight- still tender ports ?

cunnorl

We are looking at the 14 day Alaska trip for 2018. We did it in 2014 and loved it. I was surprised to see that Sitka and Icy Straight were listed as tender ports. I thought there were new docks eliminating the need for tenders. Our daughter is a full time wheelchair user

and we were quite excited thinking the trip did not involve the use of tenders. Anyone know the status? I called HA and was pretty much read what is on the website.

Suspect that the answer to your question is Yes, they are both still tender ports. We have been to Icy Strait about a dozen times. It is pretty much unchanged, not seeking a whole lot of modernization.

Sitka was improving a facility about five miles away from the present tender facilities, but I don't think it could handle more than one ship at a time. The tender business in Sitka is probably still alive and well. Bon Voyage

HAL has been using the "Old Sitka Dock" for docking purposes just outside Sitka proper for a couple of years now. Like the previous poster stated, the dock has only room for one cruise ship so if there are two in town and depending which one is assigned the dock, the other one will be tendering to Crescent Harbor

We are looking at the 14 day Alaska trip for 2018. We did it in 2014 and loved it. I was surprised to see that Sitka and Icy Straight were listed as tender ports. I thought there were new docks eliminating the need for tenders. Our daughter is a full time wheelchair user

and we were quite excited thinking the trip did not involve the use of tenders. Anyone know the status? I called HA and was pretty much read what is on the website.

2016 Icy Straight has the new dock. We also docked in Sitka

Edited by midwest 852

Icy Straight has the new dock.

The new dock is a year old. We docked there (Celebrity Millennium) last August. Only room for one ship of that size. Suggest you check one of the "who is in port" websites to see how many others will be there at the same time you are scheduled.

Stan

Both ports have 1 dock.

But when 2 ships are there -- one has to anchor -- thus tendering.

We have been in that situation where for some unknown reason, HAL seems to get stuck tendering.

It even happened to us a number of years ago in Juneau -- we were on the Ryndam and had to tender.

Hard to tell this early out what you may be doing.

Icy "Straight" (sic) does have a new dock.

DON

Did the 14 day last year. We docked at all ports including Icy Strait Point (very nice new dock) and Sitka. We were the only ship in port at all stops after Juneau. As others have already suggested, check the who's in port website to see if this will be an issue for you.

I am the WORST at trying to post a picture IMG_0444

and did it once but can't seem to replicate!!! CLICK HERE FOR PICTURE

As you can see by my signature, we too love Holland's 14 day Alaska cruise and will go again in May/June 2018. I looked at my cruise documents as well and they do list Icy Strait Point and Sitka as tender and wheelchair access limited BUT

Icy Strait has a beautiful DOCK now (that is the picture I was trying to post) and is very very nice, wide and easy access. We also saw this last time we were there that they had a few golf carts from the port that were ASSISTING people who needed help.

Sitka we actually love their tender port and was disappointed that the last time we were there we did DOCK and then they complimentary bus you to the center of town in school bus types. Depends on how many ships are visiting that day.

Hope this HELPS you in some way, as it is an awesome itinerary.

Safe travels and have fun!!!

Did the 14 day last year. We docked at all ports including Icy Strait Point (very nice new dock) and Sitka. We were the only ship in port at all stops after Juneau. As others have already suggested, check the who's in port website to see if this will be an issue for you.

We did the 14 day last year in May and were pleased to use the docks.

In Sitka there is a shuttle up the hill to where the buses meet. The shuttle is basically for those that are mobility impaired and can handle a wheelchair. I think they had a special shuttle for the wheelchair/scooter passengers into town.

In Icy Strait there was a shuttle from the boat to the reception area, but very few people knew about it. The shuttle can handle wheelchairs and walkers (not sure about scooters). There is a second shuttle from the reception area to the shops. Again not too many people knew about it and it took wheelchairs and walkers (and probably scooters if the first shuttle took them). The walk from the reception area to the shops was gravel, but the locals said that they plan to pave it.

Edited by towhee

Just booked the Zaandam 14-day Alaska today and both ports were listed as "Tender" ports. I think this is just the default until a new port/docking schedule is posted.

From my experience in Sitka, wheelchairs are rolled on and off the tenders with lots of help from the crew.

There is now a roll call started for the May 21, 2018 Zaandam cruise.

I won't visit until July (I booked the 14-night cruise), but on Youtube, I have seen the dock at Icy Strait Point. CLIAAlaska.org had this article: Icy Strait Point completes new dock, adventure center and restaurant dated March 4, 2016 at 9:52 am

I found this information in Sitka: A cruise pier opened in 2013 at Halibut Marine approximately five miles north of the downtown area. Shuttle buses to downtown are usually provided if docked here. Cruise ships could also anchor and tender to the either O'Connell Bridge or Crescent Harbor docks.

Hope that helps.

Thank You for all your replies. We just love this itinerary. If we did not have to tender, it would be wonderful. We will just have to hope that there isn't another ship with us in Sitka and Icy Straight.