Best Zuiderdam Verandah Cabin for 20 day North Atlantic Cruise

2Fltravelers

We are planning on booking a verandah cabin on a 20 day Voyage of the Vikings cruise for August 2018 . It travels from Copenhagen to NY through the North Atlantic. We are normally Celebrity cruisers but this is a wonderful itinerary. As this will be our first time on a HAL ship we would appreciate some cabin information and recommendations please. Specifically, what deck and location on the Z is the best for the least motion (we expect that the North Atlantic might be rough); 2) quiet (no crew cabins or service elevators nearby, etc.); 3) best unobstructed views and balconies; and 4) convenience. I noted that the deck plans have VA, VB, VC and sometimes VD class cabins. While I know there are price differences based on location, the most important thing is finding the best cabin. Thank you in advance for all of your input and advice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To the middle and low is the most stable on any ship, no matter what cruise line. Now applying that to Zuiderdam, and your desire for a balcony, probably Deck 5 midships meets your needs, but you will be looking at the top of lifeboats. So maybe Deck 6 midships. You can see this by looking at the deck plans.

maybe you should ask for verandas to avoid. We did this cruise on the Eurodam and had to avoid an Atlantic hurricane heading to the North sea. Midship 6 deck sounds good. We had a rough sea but the sea day was bearable. Most everyone was up and about. We tend to get a room near an elevator a little more to the Aft end as the dining room and Lido eating area are on decks at the end. Elevators are quiet.

I think your best choice would be VA 6080 or 6089, with second choice 6082 or 6091. The latter two do not get noise from the glass elevators, but their balconies are partially visible from the elevators.

p.s. - I just checked, and of those four only 6080 is taken right now.

Edited by jtl513

If available and balcony is an important topic go for the 4164 or 4166. They have double sized balconies than other verandah cabins. We were in 4166 and had two sunbeds on the balcony. Very nice. We had no noise issue and personally I don't feel the ship movement a lot in the back of the ship. We crossed the atlantic at the highest floor in the front of the Eurodam and that was a different story. I like the 4146 /4166 and can recommend them.

We were in 5071 for 42 days. No issues. A little obstruction on veranda if you're looking straight down. Lifeboats. But most of the time we were looking out toward horizon. Also, veranda was a tad narrow, but not that bad for us. FWIW.

Dale

maybe you should ask for verandas to avoid. We did this cruise on the Eurodam and had to avoid an Atlantic hurricane heading to the North sea. Midship 6 deck sounds good. We had a rough sea but the sea day was bearable. Most everyone was up and about. We tend to get a room near an elevator a little more to the Aft end as the dining room and Lido eating area are on decks at the end. Elevators are quiet.

My friend said she was on that crossing with you.:)

We are planning on booking a verandah cabin on a 20 day Voyage of the Vikings cruise for August 2018 . It travels from Copenhagen to NY through the North Atlantic. We are normally Celebrity cruisers but this is a wonderful itinerary. As this will be our first time on a HAL ship ..

We recently booked this cruise, and it will also be our first time on HAL. We too love Celebrity, and have been waiting for HAL to change their smoking policy (as they now have) so that we can try HAL and itineraries like this.

If you book, please come over and join our little (so far!) Roll Call!

We recently booked this cruise, and it will also be our first time on HAL. We too love Celebrity, and have been waiting for HAL to change their smoking policy (as they now have) so that we can try HAL and itineraries like this.

Agree with you on all counts. And yes, we will mosey on over!

Agree with you on all counts. And yes, we will mosey on over!

6164 or 6166, absolutely fabulous!! Double sized balcony, very quiet. It is aft, but really no problem with motion, and I am prone to motion sicknes. Also, close to elevators.

I am tempted but am concerned about the temperature in the North Atlantic considering the itinerary. While I was told those aft balconies can be very warm in the Caribbean, I would imagine that the opposite would be true I the N. Atlantic. Do you know if that is so?

I think your best choice would be VA 6080 or 6089, with second choice 6082 or 6091. The latter two do not get noise from the glass elevators, but their balconies are partially visible from the elevators.

p.s. - I just checked, and of those four only 6080 is taken right now.

I took your advice and booked 6089 and 6091 (traveling with friends). We can open the balcony partition and as far as there being partial a visibility I expect that we will behave[emoji33]. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

If anyone else wants to weigh in, that would be great as we are still almost 20 months out.

• 3 months later...

How did HAL change the smoking policy?

:D:D Yeh!!! Fabulous!!! Nothing can ruin a cruise, after paying for a verandah, than having to keep the door closed or not being able to go out due to neighbours that smoke.

HAL now prohibits smoking on balconies.

• 3 months later...
I took your advice and booked 6089 and 6091 (traveling with friends). We can open the balcony partition and as far as there being partial a visibility I expect that we will behave[emoji33].

I just returned 2 weeks ago from a 26-day B2B, having occupied Cabin 6080. Best location I can imagine! Right around the corner from the central elevators, so you are dropped off right at the doors of either the Lido or the main DR, and only walk half the ship for the theater. Although it's so close, I don't recall ever hearing the elevator door chime. The cabin is mid-ship, so very stable; the view is great, and the verandah is completely adequate in size. (I booked fairly late, so did not have a comparable choice available on the starboard side, which would have been preferable for viewing land on our travel route).

I would note that mattress is by far The Worst I have ever slept on, and even a requested topper could not even out the deep gullies. Also, the verandah deck has some major rust marks, the room furniture is pretty worn, and the bathtub has a small crack on the outside. Perhaps the refurbishment to take place this next winter will help with some issues, but the ship will only be in dry dock for 2 weeks, and they can't make an old ship new in that amount of time. Definitely check on whether the mattress will be replaced!

A really big Plus for this cabin is its stewards--Komang & Rinaldy--absolutely the Best!! Komang is a prize-winning towel-animal master whose creations were like none I have ever seen, and had me chuckling out loud through the whole cruise. He is also a delight to talk with, and has an infectious & ever-present smile. The two of them do impeccable work on the cabin, and fulfill every request practically immediately.

Have a great cruise!

Peggy

I just returned 2 weeks ago from a 26-day B2B, having occupied Cabin 6080. Best location I can imagine! Right around the corner from the central elevators, so you are dropped off right at the doors of either the Lido or the main DR, and only walk half the ship for the theater. Although it's so close, I don't recall ever hearing the elevator door chime. The cabin is mid-ship, so very stable; the view is great, and the verandah is completely adequate in size. (I booked fairly late, so did not have a comparable choice available on the starboard side, which would have been preferable for viewing land on our travel route).

I would note that mattress is by far The Worst I have ever slept on, and even a requested topper could not even out the deep gullies. Also, the verandah deck has some major rust marks, the room furniture is pretty worn, and the bathtub has a small crack on the outside. Perhaps the refurbishment to take place this next winter will help with some issues, but the ship will only be in dry dock for 2 weeks, and they can't make an old ship new in that amount of time. Definitely check on whether the mattress will be replaced!

A really big Plus for this cabin is its stewards--Komang & Rinaldy--absolutely the Best!! Komang is a prize-winning towel-animal master whose creations were like none I have ever seen, and had me chuckling out loud through the whole cruise. He is also a delight to talk with, and has an infectious & ever-present smile. The two of them do impeccable work on the cabin, and fulfill every request practically immediately.

Have a great cruise!

Peggy

Thanks Peggy for your detailed review. We are hoping that the drydock this December will address some of these issues you mention. Can't imagine anything worse than a horrible mattress for 20 days with my back issues.