Stormy Seas ahead

birdcruiser

Sorry if this is a duplicate. A group of us are taking a 3 day cruise to Mexico this weekend. I am nervous since the weather is calling for 55 mph winds and rain everyday, heavy at times. I am wondering if I should still take the cruise or just eat the money we spent and stay safe on land. Any comment or suggestions would be very much appreciate and help ease my anxiety levels. LOL

Sorry if this is a duplicate. A group of us are taking a 3 day cruise to Mexico this weekend. I am nervous since the weather is calling for 55 mph winds and rain everyday, heavy at times. I am wondering if I should still take the cruise or just eat the money we spent and stay safe on land. Any comment or suggestions would be very much appreciate and help ease my anxiety levels. LOL

Take rainwear and go. You will be no more safe on land than you will be on the ship. (Bonine may also be a good idea)

How far south does it go? Looks like most of the storminess stays off the CA coast and north to Pac NW and south along the Baja it will be under high pressure so highly likely the Captain will keep it in the sun. The southern jet stream has pushed pretty far north sending the storms there. South of San Diego the pressure gradient relaxes a lot meaning calm winds. I'd say go for it and have a good time. :cool:

48 Hr forecast:

P_48hrsfc.gif

WOW Sequim88, nice! We are going to Ensenada from Long Beach on 1/20 thru Monday 1/23. I am hoping you are correct in that the unsettled ocean stays further North. I had the doctor prescribe the ear patch and bought dramamine as well so I'm hoping that will work. My husband gets motion sickness so he's my main concern. Here's wishing me luck.

He may be just fine. My hubby has bad motion sickness BUT only in some situations - small aircraft, small boats, for example. I had to press-gang him onto his first cruise, he was so concerned. Guess what? No problem, even though it was pretty darned rocky going through the San Juan Passage. That kind of motion apparently doesn't bother him. We brought everything: patches, wristbands, ginger candies, drugs - and he never needed any of it.

So expect the best and prepare for the worst. Fingers crossed for you!

96 hour forecast is for 12-15 foot wave (swell) heights on a long 17 second interval coming out of the storminess to the north so more tame down there with probably some long slow motions rather than the 30 foot waves farther north. The 48 Hr forecast discussion for around 20N 130W is for 8-9 foot swell heights.

P_096hrwper_color.gif

The darker the shade the longer time between wave crests and generally more long swells than waves. Which affects people more I can't say since I've never had a problem with ocean motion. :cool:

Hi there

I don't know what will happen on your trip, but I have known many times where the weather person has been wrong. Again even if it is bad for some of the time it might not be all the time. It could be stormy at night and clear up for the day and you wouldn't even know. (unless you have trouble sleeping) Either way a cruise ship is a pretty nice option for a rainy day. For sure they will steer away from a heavy storm whenever possible.

have a great cruise

We just came back from S Am. and winds were 50 knots 2nd day and 75 the 3rd day. They wouldn't allow anyone on deck fearing they'd become human kites. A 900 ft long ship isn't going to notice 40 knot winds except to heel over some if it's from the side.

Edited by WupperAV

WOW Sequim88, nice! We are going to Ensenada from Long Beach on 1/20 thru Monday 1/23. I am hoping you are correct in that the unsettled ocean stays further North. I had the doctor prescribe the ear patch and bought dramamine as well so I'm hoping that will work. My husband gets motion sickness so he's my main concern. Here's wishing me luck.

By motion eaze and Bonine (it's not as drowsy as Dramimine ) & ask your doc for a rx for meclizine (that ingredient combo seems to work better than Dram or Bonine). Keep midship & not too high. Go take a nap the minute you get a headache & stop reading if you start feeling off. Good luck from the best chummer at sea - me! [emoji16] [emoji31]

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk