anyone tried Chromecast on AUS/NZ cruise?

Hi all

I am wondering if bringing a chromecast stick, with surf and stream (Voom,whatever other names are) on a cruise, would work. Problems I see:

1) Internet signal isn't strong enough

2) Can't get to HDMI input on cabin TV

3) No one knows what I am talking about!!

I am thinking we might be able to use this to watch Netflix onboard. I am sure I am wrong, just tell me why???

Thanks

ML

Hi all

I am wondering if bringing a chromecast stick, with surf and stream (Voom,whatever other names are) on a cruise, would work. Problems I see:

I am thinking we might be able to use this to watch Netflix onboard. I am sure I am wrong, just tell me why???

Thanks

ML

I am not sure that you would have sufficient bandwidth available whilst at sea. I certainly haven't been able to stream video (be it youtube, skype video calls etc) whist at sea in Australian waters.

It may vary depending on the service available from each cruise line though I think you might have to be extremely lucky to get it to work.

Hi all

Thanks

ML

I would be too busy watching the barman pouring my next drink to find the time to watch Netflix on a cruise.

Also make sure you call out "MY SHOUT" when ordering your drinks, particularly if Aussies are around, as you will make instant friends on your cruise- guaranteed.

I would be too busy watching the barman pouring my next drink to find the time to watch Netflix on a cruise.

Also make sure you call out "MY SHOUT" when ordering your drinks, particularly if Aussies are around, as you will make instant friends on your cruise- guaranteed.

Agreed, but what if the bar is quiet one night...Wait, what am I thinking, this is Australia and a bar. Nevermind.:D

Oh, and don't think I don't know what My Shout means. Normally, I would be Ok with that, but on a ship, with inflated drink prices. I could afford another flight to Australia. I would like to make friends... thanks for playing our game :D

ML

Hi all

Thanks

ML

1. Signal may be OK, But OMG the date you'd go through and probably a lot of buffering because it can be sloooooowwwww.

2. Varies by ship, but most you can access the HDMI port OK.

3. Will apply to many.

I believe RCL is the only one with the streaming option on ships - it being very new - in this region.

So if you specifically want to do that on a cruise in this region, best to stick with them.

Well, as a matter of fact, we are doing RCI and have paid for this. Do you think chromecast would work (if I could pass all the technical hurdles--get chromecast and my phone/PC on network, then get to Netflix (or whatever), then cast to TV, assuming I could get TV to the correct input?

I see this as a challenge to be tried, not necessarily a must have!! I love pushing the system, and trying every work-around I can find. Full disclosure--DH and I are engineers and we love to tinker with this sort of stuff. If we aren't sitting at the bar, by the pool, on an excursion, etc, etc.

Thanks for your help

ML

Hi all

Thanks

ML

Sorry, not a hope in hell of watching Netflix. As far as I know there is no ship in Oz/NZ waters that could supply you with a fraction of the bandwidth necessary. The connectivity just doesn't exist in this part of the world. As has been said the data costs would cripple you anyway.

Some (most?) ships will have TVs with accessible HDMI ports, but no way to select them from the remote. You might be able to get around that with a universal remote like a Harmony.

I think the only possible way to get Netflix to work would be if you were in port on a balcony and you cast your Netflix app to the Chromecast stick from your mobile phone. Of course that would not work at sea.

That would presuppose some sort of international roaming data plan on the phone.

Hi, I was on the NYE Ovation cruise. Even with the latest tech the internet streaming wasn't very good in this part of the world. I used an iPad, HDMI connector and a universal remote. Was pretty easy to setup and watch Netflix, but it was slow and regularly buffered. But it was a reasonable option once you had watched all those dreamworks movies for the 3rd time. Chromecast would be similar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, not a hope in hell of watching Netflix. As far as I know there is no ship in Oz/NZ waters that could supply you with a fraction of the bandwidth necessary. The connectivity just doesn't exist in this part of the world. As has been said the data costs would cripple you anyway.

Some (most?) ships will have TVs with accessible HDMI ports, but no way to select them from the remote. You might be able to get around that with a universal remote like a Harmony.

I think the only possible way to get Netflix to work would be if you were in port on a balcony and you cast your Netflix app to the Chromecast stick from your mobile phone. Of course that would not work at sea.

That would presuppose some sort of international roaming data plan on the phone.

We were on the Radiance in December, had the voom stream package. I have a chrome cast, but didn't take it.

I did use Skype voip calls and Skype video calls, amazing clarity and so clear. No buffering at all and used about 30 minutes per day.

Used YouTube for some videos, again no noticeable buffering.

I have used the Internet before on ships and Its absolute rubbish. Voom surf is actually what they say it is.

Next cruise I'm trying to do some of my work for a few hours a day. I think it might just work.

Well, as a matter of fact, we are doing RCI and have paid for this. Do you think chromecast would work (if I could pass all the technical hurdles--get chromecast and my phone/PC on network, then get to Netflix (or whatever), then cast to TV, assuming I could get TV to the correct input?

I see this as a challenge to be tried, not necessarily a must have!! I love pushing the system, and trying every work-around I can find. Full disclosure--DH and I are engineers and we love to tinker with this sort of stuff. If we aren't sitting at the bar, by the pool, on an excursion, etc, etc.

Thanks for your help

ML

I do think you can make a go of it, if you're just wanting to see how it goes. It's just buffering may be an issue at peak times, but if you are willing to be flexible with times, I suspect can avoid that too.

Currently using voom surf and stream on Radiance. It's been terrific. We've face timed back home, two days out of Sydney, with no issues. Streaming Netflix was great, it took slightly longer to get going but never stopped to buffer.

We've also watched shows on YouTube, and downloaded a few others to watch later.

This is in stark contrast to the completely unusable wifi we had on Radiance in 2014.

The only problem we encountered was a lack of connectivity the day after Bay of Islands en route to Sydney, but that lasted only the day.

So yes, the bandwidth is there. Is it 100% reliable? No, but it's pretty damn close and considering what internet at sea used to be, it's a revelation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I was on the NYE Ovation cruise. Even with the latest tech the internet streaming wasn't very good in this part of the world. I used an iPad, HDMI connector and a universal remote. Was pretty easy to setup and watch Netflix, but it was slow and regularly buffered. But it was a reasonable option once you had watched all those dreamworks movies for the 3rd time. Chromecast would be similar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for this. I wasn't clear--I meant "connect to HDMI and actually be able to select the input". I know there have been issues with this in the past for many cruisers.

I do think you can make a go of it, if you're just wanting to see how it goes. It's just buffering may be an issue at peak times, but if you are willing to be flexible with times, I suspect can avoid that too.

Thanks. I would only be doing this in the wee hours of the morning, if I can't sleep. It will be a fun experiment and I can report back to this forum!

ML

Currently using voom surf and stream on Radiance. It's been terrific. We've face timed back home, two days out of Sydney, with no issues. Streaming Netflix was great, it took slightly longer to get going but never stopped to buffer.

We've also watched shows on YouTube, and downloaded a few others to watch later.

This is in stark contrast to the completely unusable wifi we had on Radiance in 2014.

The only problem we encountered was a lack of connectivity the day after Bay of Islands en route to Sydney, but that lasted only the day.

So yes, the bandwidth is there. Is it 100% reliable? No, but it's pretty damn close and considering what internet at sea used to be, it's a revelation.

tazza

Thanks, this is very helpful. I would love to be able to just watch Netflix on my PC, as it will be very late at night and DH will be snoring contentedly next to me. I am assuming you just did this thru your phone or tablet, not using the Chromecast stick? If it just works without Chromecast I am happy, although I might try it just for fun.

How is the content? I read that even if you have a US account, the choices are more limited on Netflix.

Thanks and enjoy your cruise!

ML

tazza

Thanks, this is very helpful. I would love to be able to just watch Netflix on my PC, as it will be very late at night and DH will be snoring contentedly next to me. I am assuming you just did this thru your phone or tablet, not using the Chromecast stick? If it just works without Chromecast I am happy, although I might try it just for fun.

How is the content? I read that even if you have a US account, the choices are more limited on Netflix.

Thanks and enjoy your cruise!

ML

Hi NW.

Just using my MacBook Air and a Bluetooth external speaker.

The content is different, but actually for the better (for me). It looks like we have access to more content than I normally get access to in Australia, but I don't know how this would compare to any other country. Obviously this would be related to the location setup for the ship's internet (I'm assuming!)

Have had a very lazy sea day today and after a session in the spa, watched a solid three hours of Netflix with no dramas.

One thing that may or may not be helpful but you can stream videos directly from your devices to the chromecast. So say you have a movie on your phone or recorded a video and want to watch it on the TV, there are apps out there that allow you to do this.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I should keep up with the times more. I didn't know that Voom/O3b had gotten to this part of the world, and that we aren't still stuck with the old slow satellite system.

It will be interesting to see if Carnival Corp ships can come up with something as good.

I should keep up with the times more. I didn't know that Voom/O3b had gotten to this part of the world, and that we aren't still stuck with the old slow satellite system.

It will be interesting to see if Carnival Corp ships can come up with something as good.

I didn't realise that it had either. I just assumed Royal was doing its usual marketing thing and branding it's same ol' internet as something new. I came onboard expecting nothing great and have been completely surprised by just how well it works and how fast it is.

I didn't realise that it had either. I just assumed Royal was doing its usual marketing thing and branding it's same ol' internet as something new. I came onboard expecting nothing great and have been completely surprised by just how well it works and how fast it is.

If you are interested in this sort of stuff the O3b Maritime site has more info on how it is done:

https://www.o3bnetworks.com/solutions/o3bmaritime/

https://www.o3bnetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/O3b-Maritime-2.2m-Orbit-DatasheetT-TRx-7-500.pdf

It uses a constellation of satellites in a low 8,000km orbit, meaning that they have a quarter of the latency of geosynchronous satellites. Being in that orbit means that the satellites must pass the ship overhead, so there would have to be some sort of hand-off from one satellite to the following one. Perhaps that's why the ship has two dishes, one to track the current satellite and one to pick up the next satellite.

The satellites seem to have steerable antennas themselves. So they can actually follow a ship and direct a small footprint signal at that ship rather than waste a lot of signal on dead areas. This provides for the greater bandwidth.

This is light years ahead of what was there before.

Sorry if I'm going on, but this is interesting stuff to me.