Jeans on Viking?

abbykate

We left Viking Sea last weekend. I am not trying to be unkind, just stating fact - the majority of guests were dressed extremely casually in the evening and in no way could this be described as elegant casual.

I think your DH 's dressy jeans will be absolutely fine

Edited by Spursgirl

We left Viking Sea last weekend. I am not trying to be unkind, just stating fact - the majority of guests were dressed extremely casually in the evening and in no way could this be described as elegant casual.

I think your DH 's dressy jeans will be absolutely fine

So do I! In fact, your DH may well be amongst the most "elegantly casual" dressed men on the ship at dinner in his dressy jeans. We did see some younger guests dressed in very nice dark navy or black jeans at dinner.

I'm not trying to be unkind either, but compared to some older people who looked like they were wearing their gardening clothes, the designer jeans wearing pax looked very elegant indeed! :D

Jeans, are not suitable attire for dinner, whether "dressy" or not. I want to book a Viking cruise but not if they stoop this low. Surely your husband can wear chinos or other trousers. I've never been to San Antonio, I'm sure it is a fantastic place but if jeans are an acceptable form of dress for dinner, I think I'll go elsewhere.

Jeans, are not suitable attire for dinner, whether "dressy" or not. I want to book a Viking cruise but not if they stoop this low. Surely your husband can wear chinos or other trousers. I've never been to San Antonio, I'm sure it is a fantastic place but if jeans are an acceptable form of dress for dinner, I think I'll go elsewhere.

Ouch!

Though I rarely wear jeans, they have become more normal than not. They are often even worn with a coat and tie. Personally, I care more about the top since you do not even see the pants while eating dinner. Guys that think a t-shirt is acceptable are more of an issue.

But, if that really offends you that much, I am thinking there are only a few cruise lines left that would work for you.

Well, I have to say friendlyfifer....and I'm trying hard not to be unkind or derogatory here....that if you are worried about an "acceptable form of dress for dinner" then Viking is maybe not the cruise line for you. We are not talking about daytime blue jeans here but smart designer jeans. Some of the chino type trousers we saw being worn to dinner by older gentlemen last week were definitely NOT smart and neither were the drab polyester sweaters and dresses worn by their OH's. Designer dark jeans would be much more appropriate and smart, in my opinion anyway.

We were aware that Viking is not a dressy cruiseline before we went, but we did dress as we would if we were going out for a meal in a nice restaurant on land. A lot of the crew commented that we looked very nice and I think they appreciated that we had gone to a just a bit of effort in the evening. It was noticeable that a lot of people turned up for dinner in the casual clothes that they had worn all day. A lot did make an effort of course, but some people just looked scruffy. There was a man that tried to get into Manfredi's wearing his bath robe. :eek: Of course he was turned away. There were lots of American men wearing those appalling baseball hats at dinner and one man wore a Stetson for the whole cruise, breakfast, lunch and dinner. We never saw him without it. My partner is American, but he would know much better than to wear a hat at dinner.

I hope you do try Viking because we had a marvellous time last week, but just don't get hung up on their dress code!

Just my opinion of course....YMMV.

Time to put my 2 cents in: we have traveled on Oceano and Princess and Celebrity and have never run into someone saying that I wasn't dressed properly. If I were going to the buffet I would wear nice looking jeans - if I were eating in other venues that called for a little better dress up then I wouldn't wear jeans. If we were on a an excursion and I was waiting to get off the ship I would be wearing my jeans. If it were cool and sunny out I might be out by the pool in jeans or shorts. If I were eating poolside I would probably have jeans - if I were going to dance with my wife after dinner I would not be wearing jeans. Why so much is written about to jeans or not to jeans I find that people have nothing better to do than complain.

T Why so much is written about to jeans or not to jeans I find that people have nothing better to do than complain.

IMHO, Jerry, this dress code thing is more about other people trying to impose their standards on others, or who feel that their enjoyment of the cruise is wholly dependent on how everybody else dresses. What childish baloney. Thank goodness most of the 928 other people on board my last two cruises could have cared less how I dressed and were more interested in getting to know me than in trying to shame me or blame me because I didn't meet their standards. That is why these dress-code conversations just drive me nuts.

IMHO, Jerry, this dress code thing is more about other people trying to impose their standards on others, or who feel that their enjoyment of the cruise is wholly dependent on how everybody else dresses. What childish baloney. Thank goodness most of the 928 other people on board my last two cruises could have cared less how I dressed and were more interested in getting to know me than in trying to shame me or blame me because I didn't meet their standards. That is why these dress-code conversations just drive me nuts.

They drive me nuts too Peregrina. :)

Everyone has their own views on what is suitable to wear for dinner on a cruise. I think if I pay thousands of pounds for a cruise then I want to dress better than I would if I was taking my granddaughter to a McDonald's, but that's just me! I like to look nice for dinner, but my cruise enjoyment is in no way dependent on how other people dress. It's entirely up to them. I am sure they are happy and comfortable in what they wear and that's just fine.....except for the man who thought it was appropriate to go to Manfredi's in his bath robe! :eek:

Actually, I think he was fully dressed under the robe and because he had packed light, he was using what was at hand to keep warm. ;):D

Save

"... using what was at hand..."

Really?

LOL!!!

I am thinking even non-dressy jeans might be okay after reading this.

I think I should set the standard: anyone who dresses more casual than me is shabby and should be tossed overboard. Anyone who dresses better than me is a phony snob who also should be tossed overboard.

It's like driving...anyone going slower than me is an idiot, anyone going faster than me is reckless.

I hope I settled this debate.

Maybe his luggage was lost :eek::D.

No, his luggage wasn't lost, he was just an idiot....he spoke to me and a British couple in the lift and was still wearing his robe. He made a rather rude comment and the British guy really told him to grow up and shut up. :)

However, about 35 other passengers really did lose their luggage. It was left at Heathrow by BA and I believe they were reunited with it on disembarking the cruise in Rome. I would have gone nuts to be without my clothes for the whole cruise, but I believe Viking were very helpful ....it was British Airways who were not at all helpful, according to the passengers whose luggage was left behind at the airport.

I think I should set the standard: anyone who dresses more casual than me is shabby and should be tossed overboard. Anyone who dresses better than me is a phony snob who also should be tossed overboard.

It's like driving...anyone going slower than me is an idiot, anyone going faster than me is reckless.

I hope I settled this debate.

Well said CTLeeA.

I also firmly believe that the definition of "old" is anyone 10 years older than me. Of course, my partner is 10 years younger than me, but thankfully he doesn't believe that! :D

Well, I have to say friendlyfifer....and I'm trying hard not to be unkind or derogatory here....that if you are worried about an "acceptable form of dress for dinner" then Viking is maybe not the cruise line for you. We are not talking about daytime blue jeans here but smart designer jeans. Some of the chino type trousers we saw being worn to dinner by older gentlemen last week were definitely NOT smart and neither were the drab polyester sweaters and dresses worn by their OH's. Designer dark jeans would be much more appropriate and smart, in my opinion anyway.

We were aware that Viking is not a dressy cruiseline before we went, but we did dress as we would if we were going out for a meal in a nice restaurant on land. A lot of the crew commented that we looked very nice and I think they appreciated that we had gone to a just a bit of effort in the evening. It was noticeable that a lot of people turned up for dinner in the casual clothes that they had worn all day. A lot did make an effort of course, but some people just looked scruffy. There was a man that tried to get into Manfredi's wearing his bath robe. :eek: Of course he was turned away. There were lots of American men wearing those appalling baseball hats at dinner and one man wore a Stetson for the whole cruise, breakfast, lunch and dinner. We never saw him without it. My partner is American, but he would know much better than to wear a hat at dinner.

I hope you do try Viking because we had a marvellous time last week, but just don't get hung up on their dress code!

Just my opinion of course....YMMV.

Lottie A, I'm sorry if I've offended you, it was not my intention. I actually think that we are not that far apart in our views. You have given so many examples of unacceptable dress in your response, all of which would be unacceptable to me.

I know that standards of dress vary in different parts of the world and that is why I appreciate if the cruise line gives clear guidance on what is acceptable and that they in turn police their policy.

I really don't want to be sitting next to a man wearing a baseball cap for dinner nor do I appreciate people wearing the same clothes they have worn throughout the day. Surely it is not too much to expect cruisers to shower and change for dinner and to abide by the cruise line's guidance.

I do choose my cruise lines carefully based on my personal standards and others should do the same and not try to bring everything down to the lowest common denominator.

I'm wondering if the location of the cruise might be playing into this discussion. On the Homelands cruise last summer, we found people to dress very nicely for dinner in the specialty restaurants and the main dining room. But the weather was comfortably cool and it just seemed right. I can understand that a cruise to the Caribbean might be more casual. Just a thought....