Taxis & Uber On Our December 2016/January 2017 Stay In Miami

Keith1010

Never used Uber. I will be travelling alone with my 12 year old son. Should I feel safe using Uber while travelling as a single woman with my 12 year old son? We have used shuttle or car service before. We are looking at FLL to POM and then post cruise Miami hotel to FLL. Also how hard is it to get an Uber at 3am to get to the airport?

Thank you

We live in Spain and will be arriving in February at Miami Airport and need to travel to South Beach.

I would like to use Uber as we have a lot of rides to take during the vacation.

I won't have free mobile data on my phone and I've just read that I need to be connected for the whole journey! That could, in reality, then become a very expensive ride!

I could do the booking from the airport/hotel using their Wifi.

I haven't downloaded the ap yet or registered.

Any comments about this would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Esperanza

If your cellphone is unlocked, you can check if the cost of a pre-paid SIM card is worth to you. They may have one at Miami airport.

Thank you but unfortunately my cellphone is not unlocked! :(

Didn't realise that you needed to keep the phone connected to the internet for the whole journey!!

Esperanza

As I received some conflicting information both here and on line regarding cell phone connectivity whilst using Uber, I decided to drop them an email and ask for clarification. Below is what they replied - hope it helps other users :)

Esperanza

Welcome to Spain Uber support. Happy to help.

Creating an Uber account requires a valid email address and phone number. You’ll also need to create a password and agree to terms and conditions and our privacy statement.

Go to https://get.uber.com/go/ fill in your first and last name, phone number, and preferred language. Once you complete this part of the signup process, we send a text SMS to verify your phone number. Also, you can check this page for more information: https://ride.uber.com/en_US/

Once you have done this, you may request a ride. First you have to be connected to a Wi-Fi, Internet or data connection in your device, then request a ride, once the driver arrives to pick up the place where you are, you do not need to have connections during the trip. When the trip ends, it is not necessary to have a connection. It is only necessary to connect if you want to change the drop off location while trip is done.

As I received some conflicting information both here and on line regarding cell phone connectivity whilst using Uber, I decided to drop them an email and ask for clarification. Below is what they replied - hope it helps other users :)

Esperanza

Welcome to Spain Uber support. Happy to help.

Creating an Uber account requires a valid email address and phone number. You’ll also need to create a password and agree to terms and conditions and our privacy statement.

Go to https://get.uber.com/go/ fill in your first and last name, phone number, and preferred language. Once you complete this part of the signup process, we send a text SMS to verify your phone number. Also, you can check this page for more information: https://ride.uber.com/en_US/

Once you have done this, you may request a ride. First you have to be connected to a Wi-Fi, Internet or data connection in your device, then request a ride, once the driver arrives to pick up the place where you are, you do not need to have connections during the trip. When the trip ends, it is not necessary to have a connection. It is only necessary to connect if you want to change the drop off location while trip is done.

Thanks so much for providing this information. I have not used Uber yet, but plan on doing so in a few weeks, and had not thought of this issue.