Don't Let This Happen To You.

FlaGrl4Evr

A friend and I booked a cruise last month that is scheduled to leave in 5 days... Thursday, January 26th. We pre-paid our gratuities but decided not to get the insurance. Our reasoning was that it's only a 4 day cruise and also out of our home port which is 40 minutes away.

Well........ as the dice spin rolls, my friend came down with a terrible head cold yesterday. We are praying that it clears up by then but if not then we will only be able to get back our taxes, port fees and gratuities to change to another future date. We would forfit the entire cruise fare. $309 × 2. I do have the option of a name-change for a $50 penalty but I really want to go with this particular friend as we had some special things planned.

This is my own fault and I'm taking full responsibility for my stupidity in attempting to save a few bucks. I'm a fairly seasoned cruiser and this was the very first time that I've ever opted out of buying insurance....BUT it will certainly be the last.....no matter how cheap the cruise rate.

I'm posting this in case there are other cruisers out there that are on-the-fence

about purchasing insurance.

It's truly a dice roll but one just never knows.

Lesson learned.

😥😔😞

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

I doubt you'd get a payout for a head cold unless you got 'cancel for any reason' insurance.

That happened to us last summer, husband was in urgent care with a bad cold two days before leaving for Mexico, son started throwing up in the airport, me and daughter got sick on second day of the trip. None of it was serious enough to trigger our insurance paying out. It just made for a crappy vacation sadly!

But yes we still get insurance.

If your friend truly doesn't want to go, go by yourself. I know you had plans, but why not take the opportunity to just relax for those four days. I could see both not going if it were a spouse or SO, but I think a friend would understand.

I remember once on the Beverly Hillbillies, Granny came up with a cure for the cold, Drysdale thought they were going to make a fortune.

Granny told him, "Take this for seven days and the cold will be gone, otherwise you'll have it for a week".

Same with antibiotics, they do nothing for a cold.

This happened to me! Well, we had insurance, but I got sick just before. Get your friend to the dr for a shot and antibiotics to speed up the recovery if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, but antibiotics do not work on cold, because colds are a virus. And, what kind of shot do you suggest be given to someone with a cold?

I doubt you'd get a payout for a head cold unless you got 'cancel for any reason' insurance.

That happened to us last summer, husband was in urgent care with a bad cold two days before leaving for Mexico, son started throwing up in the airport, me and daughter got sick on second day of the trip. None of it was serious enough to trigger our insurance paying out. It just made for a crappy vacation sadly!

But yes we still get insurance.

Did you get a count of how many people your entourage infected on the cruise ship? There is a reason they ask you questions about your health. Did you guys lie on those forms?