Auto Grats - Australian Cruises

steve1970

Hi, just booked a cruise from Australia with the new 'Grats included'.

Comment then Question: We used to also tip extra to some staff we delt with, but 2 cruises ago the bar waiter in the resturant said the extra tip I put on for him at the bottom of the chit I signed goes to the pool (not to him). Should I continue to tip extra to the room attendant, waiters and bar staff? or will that go to the pool (or to them directly)?

Hi, just booked a cruise from Australia with the new 'Grats included'.

Comment then Question: We used to also tip extra to some staff we delt with, but 2 cruises ago the bar waiter in the resturant said the extra tip I put on for him at the bottom of the chit I signed goes to the pool (not to him). Should I continue to tip extra to the room attendant, waiters and bar staff? or will that go to the pool (or to them directly)?

You will get different answers.

I know at least one line insists all cash tips get handed in (all sorts of debate over what happens with it then).

I assume they'll be managed exactly like your cash tip to the very nice waitress at a land-based restaurant: however that establishment has decided to do it (pool to keep), and just like there, it's an employee/employer consideration and I'm neither.

Tip more if you think it's appropriate, but don't worry about who shares it.

We prefer to do our extra tips (additional to the auto gratuities) in cash, in the hope at the recipient gets to keep it themselves. I think if you write it on the slip it's easier for the cruise line to pool it

We prefer to do our extra tips (additional to the auto gratuities) in cash, in the hope at the recipient gets to keep it themselves. I think if you write it on the slip it's easier for the cruise line to pool it

All cash given at the bars are pooled. They put the cash in a box or jar behind the bar to be distributed to all.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Forums mobile app

So, from the feedback here, if I give a tip over and above the Grats that are already paid - they don't go to the person who delivered that service? Seems odd.

There are many arguments on Cruise Critic over it.

All I know is that the contract says (said when I saw it) that they must be handed in, it doesn't then expand on what happens after that.

As you mentioned, and Retired Leo also advised, the specific scenario you gave was referring to bar staff, and the docket signed that goes through their admin.

As said, that tip is pooled amongst bar staff to e.g. accommodate bar staff in functional areas where they don't get tips, or just quieter bars than others, to be fairer as it is based on volume. They don't get a share of the daily gratuity charge, so need this as their primary income to be split fairly.

You also asked about tipping to room and dining staff. As they are already addressed through the daily gratuities applying to all, if you hand extra tips to them then it does go to them directly. Similarly if you had a specific bar tender who you liked, a cash tip to them may go to them directly (unless they choose to hand it in to the pool).

So basically, if you give cash tips, it is the most likely to stay with the person, unless pooled at their preference.

Edited by The_Big_M

They don't get a share of the daily gratuity charge, so need this as their primary income to be split fairly.

All drinks and drink packages have grats built in so they do have that as their base/primary compensation. Any other tips are in addition to that.