What do you wear to secure your valuables?

dickinson

I do a couple of things - first, I sew an extra pocket to the inside waistband of DH's pants. That's where his money and ID go; if someone is going to try to get it, they're going to have to get up close and personal to get their hands down the front of his pants.

Second, I use a small cross-body bag that I put on over my tank or t-shirt, topped with either a lightweight shirt or jacket, depending on the weather. By wearing your cross-body bag this way, you don't have to worry about where to put it when you sit down, it stays right on your body. I also use a silk bra safe ( https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Silk-Undercover-Stash/dp/B0054IH3RQ/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_121_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=JEZBBGX3WKS6BJT6K5VG ) to carry my credit card, some folded money and ID. We've traveled extensively throughout Europe and not had any issues - that's not to say it can't happen, but we try to lessen the likelihood that it will.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We've traveled extensively throughout Europe and not had any issues - that's not to say it can't happen, but we try to lessen the likelihood that it will.

I think that's the secret - do everything you reasonably can do to secure your things, then relax and enjoy your trip.

• 2 weeks later...

For what its worth, very few US issued credit cards even have a RFID chip. The technology does not seem to be getting more popular here in the USA...since many issuers (and users) are concerned about security issues. Most US Cards are now Chip/Signature (this does not generally have a RFID chip) or a few are Chip/PIN. The ideal card for Europe is a Visa or MC with a Chip/PIN system that works with the EMV protocol. A Chip/Signature will usually work in Europe....but there are exceptions which can cause a real hassle. A good example it that it can be hard to buy gas, late at night, without a Chip/PIN.

I used to wear a neck pouch....but hated it on hot days when I had on a T-Shirt with an obvious lump in the front. I still have that pouch....but only use it for the rare times when I must carry our Passports.

Hank

Good morning! I did purchase one of the pouches.

So can we talk purses / totes for holding your items on the plane?

Suggestions on a CHEAP one with a few pockets? I'm really just going to keep my tablet, eye mask, medication, etc in it. I have a SMALL purse for daily use at home, but it won't fit a tablet (iPad mini).

Suggestions on a CHEAP one with a few pockets? I'm really just going to keep my tablet, eye mask, medication, etc in it. I have a SMALL purse for daily use at home, but it won't fit a tablet (iPad mini).

About 5 years ago I purchased a LUG Puddle Jumper bag in black that has a bunch of pockets and it has become my go-to travel purse. I can carry my 13" laptop, an iPad mini, my phone, iPod, my small cross-body bag, and a whole host of other things in it. I love having everything in one place. Prior to the LUG, I used a large tote from Avon that had 3 front pockets and a zipper top, but the handles were pretty skimpy and I was always afraid they would tear off.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Good morning! I did purchase one of the pouches.

I use a cross body purse made by Roots. It has pockets on inside and outside. An iPad and phone, wallet and other items fit fine and it lays flat against my body which I like. I got it at Bentley's luggage store and it was quite inexpensive. I have used it all over Europe and love it.

• 2 weeks later...

For a guy, wear pants with zipper pockets or an under clothing valuables belt. Females can do that or wear a purse across the body with un-cuttable straps. We had to take a passport on an excursion that crossed country lines, but typically it can be left in a safe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a small body bag that holds ID ect that I wear UNDER my shirt. has ID, credit card, etc. they would have to first know it is there and undress me to get to it. Hopefully, that will keep me safe :) You can see it amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AAV63MM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by newcruiser1956

I have a small body bag that holds ID ect that I wear UNDER my shirt. has ID, credit card, etc. they would have to first know it is there and undress me to get to it. Hopefully, that will keep me safe :) You can see it amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AAV63MM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have this same body bag, will wear it under my shirt.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
The only tag I could find on the bag says Eagle Creek and I did buy it at the Container store. About $50

Getting ready to pack it up again too!!!!

I just ordered a pac safe from Sierra Trading from the clearance section got it for $30 with free shipping when signed up with email. Red color only

Just got back from Italy and my Travelon crossbody and backpack kept everything safe. I love having zippers that lock and bags that are slash-proof. I couldn't tell if we were ignored by pickpockets or if there weren't many about, but we had no problems whatsoever. Even in the crowds by the Colosseum and Roman Forum. Once when I opened my pack to put my coat in, a guy walked a little closer than necessary; I looked him directly in the eye - I don't know if he meant me harm or not but he just moved on.

• 4 weeks later...

I wear pickpocket-proof pants from https://www.clothingarts.com/. So far, I am very happy with the "business travel" version of the pants which are more dressy than the "adventure travel". Bought 3 pairs (2 khaki, 1 grey) of the pants, and 1 pair of shorts. My wife and I each have a Travelon shoulder bag. Her's is more of a purse. She loves it so much she bought 4 more (different colors) and uses them as her everyday purse!.

ITs best not to have it all in one spot. Put a little something in a money belt, a zippered pocket, a wallet, even in a sock. There are also scarves that have hidden pocket, you can find all kinds on Amazon, from thick and warm to much lighter ones for spring and summer.

Another vote for Travelon. I have the Heritage Small Crossbody bag that toured Berlin and London with me this past spring and DC in the fall. I actually purchased it from Kohl's online for $35 and used Kohl's cash from Christmas the year before - who knew?!). I love the thick strap - not only is is secure but it is more comfortable than many crossbody bags. The clips on the pocket zippers are definitely a deterrent - they can be broken with force. But so far they do their job. It is not a large bag but that way I don't overpack it (from a weight standpoint) and have never had security question the size. I put my credit card in the RFID pocket, keep a small flip top change purse for my cash, my phone is in one of the interior pockets and the other has a small photocopy of my passport. I carry a small zipper bag with emergency needs in the main compartment for organization. I use the front exterior pocket for my small camera for easy access. There are also small pockets inside the outer pocket that are perfect for transit passes that are touch sensitive - no need to even open the pocket, just tap the purse! I have also been able to fit a small sweater or scarf in it (or at least tied on the strap) and a small bottle of water.

https://www.travelonbags.com/anti-theft/anti-theft-heritage-small-crossbody-bag

When I am in big cities and traveling alone, in addition to this bag I wear a small silk pouch that snaps to my bra strap. I keep an ID, extra credit card, and extra cash in it. If my husband is with us we just split things up, but when I'm alone with my kids (which happens when we travel with him for work) I figure having extra on my person is better than assuming my kids won't lose their stuff!

After reading about all the pick pockets, etc in Europe I was wondering what kind of clothing people wear.

I will admit to being very paranoid about pickpockets. I found zippered pockets on amazon that I have stitched in several pants to carry credit cards, etc. I also found womens and men's underwear with zippers, there are also socks with zippers. I will admit to really going over board and buying to much stuff to prevent pickpockets. I will also safety pin all zippers. I will not be carrying any bags, they will have to go inside my clothes to take any thing from me and it will be zippered and pinned. I am also going to Rome and Barcelona... the top 2 places for pick pockets.

Many say do not worry about it... I worry.. I prevent :)

When we traveled to Peru a few years ago we were also warned about pickpockets there, especially in Lima. Since I sew, I made zippered pouches large enough to hold a passport, credit cards, and some money and sewed them to the waistband inside my pants. Since it is necessary to carry your passport with you a lot of the time there--you have to have it at Machu Picchu, riding the train or bus, etc., it was good to carry it somewhere safe. So, my passport (when I have to carry it), credit card, and emergency cash go in the pouch sewn to my pants. Only the money I need for the day and anything else I know I will need to access (like a ship card) are kept in a zippered pouch pinned inside of a front zipper pocket (which I will also secure with a safety pin!). We sometimes carry a small day pack for umbrella, water, lunch, etc. worn in front in crowds, but with nothing of value in it. All of the valuables are worn on our persons and all but a little money under our clothes. So far this has worked well, but eternal vigilance is needed!

I recently saw a post from someone who was hit by pickpockets. He was arriving with luggage and vacation cash and was observed by pickpockets purchasing train tickets then putting his wallet away afterwards. That made him a fairly easy mark and illustrates the wisdom of only carrying the money you will need right away in an accessible location. It also points out times of particular vulnerability--buying tickets, getting on and off various means of transport, especially with luggage, just being in a new, crowded place not knowing exactly where to go. At those distracted times it is especially critical to have what you cannot afford to lose in a place where it is inaccessible to thieves, preferably on your person, requiring no thought on your part to keep it safe.

Finally, pickpockets can look like well-dressed businessmen or even a typical Italian granny. Rather than trying to profile, it's better to just maintain awareness of anyone trying to approach you or get in your space and make sure they see that YOU are aware of THEM. Don't fall for any of the basic scams, which may include:

-- Someone trying to hand you something or trying to get you to sign a petition.

-- Someone who 'kindheartedly' points out that you have something on your shirt or jacket and wants to help you clean it off.

-- The 'gold ring' scam (or similar) -- Google for more info.

-- Someone offering to help you with luggage or at a ticket kiosk, etc.

In short, be a little suspicious of anyone trying to distract or detain you.

While in Paris on a land-based vacation we saw all of these scams in action or had them tried on us. We also witnessed one young man get his iPhone snatched right out of his hand on the street by a passenger on the back of a motorcycle that sped by, and another incident where several distractions inside a cafe resulted in a family getting two phones stolen from their table. Nobody is immune, not even the locals - the guy with the phone taken by the motorcyclist was a Parisien.

We did learn that languages not commonly spoken in Europe tended to throw off the ripoff artists. I know a few phrases in several such languages from my travels (Swahili, Japanese, Cantonese, Sinhalese) and when approached by someone asking us (in accented English) to sign a petition, or help their sick child, or help them make a friendship bracelet, I would put on a confused look and spew random words or sentences in some language. Never failed to send the would-be perpetrators on their way to the next victims.

• 2 weeks later...