What do you wear to secure your valuables?

dickinson

This is the right attitude ^^^

Thanks! I find that a lot of the threats are blown out of proportion. Just be smart:

Don't hand a stranger your camera

Don't leave your purse on the back of a chair

Don't walk around with your purse open

Don't carry wads of cash

Would you do any of that in a major US city? Probably not. So why do it on vacation?

For me it's the same as travel clothes. Unless I'm hiking or riding elephants or something, I dress the same way I do at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a package bag that used all over Europe with no problems. Check them out....they are great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Was curious, so tried to check them out - GOOGLE has no idea what they are either. :confused:

Thanks! I find that a lot of the threats are blown out of proportion. Just be smart:

Don't hand a stranger your camera

Don't leave your purse on the back of a chair

Don't walk around with your purse open

Don't carry wads of cash

Would you do any of that in a major US city? Probably not. So why do it on vacation?

I'm thinking that you might be referring to some of the suggestions in other posts, but, yes, I do all of those things you listed in any major US city. Why would one think the danger is any less?

Along with:

Don't take anything someone tries to hand you - flowers, pamphlets, petitions, etc.

Was curious, so tried to check them out - GOOGLE has no idea what they are either. :confused:

I'm thinking that you might be referring to some of the suggestions in other posts, but, yes, I do all of those things you listed in any major US city. Why would one think the danger is any less?

Along with:

Don't take anything someone tries to hand you - flowers, pamphlets, petitions, etc.

That's just it...a lot of people think Europe is somehow more dangerous for pickpocketing/petty crime. After my Dad almost got pickpocketed in Disneyland we knew nowhere was safe lol

IMO, the best option is to dress as though you are a business person and not carry a handbag or other type of bag at all. I don't wear any real or real looking jewelry so there is nothing on me of interest to try to steal in any obvious place. I wear European walking shoes so I just blend in with locals and I put some cash under the liner of a shoe - just in case of emergency (enough to get back to the ship in a cab), maybe a credit card under the liner of the other shoe and then cash I might spend in a hidden pocket. If I don't speak the language of the country I'm visiting, I keep my voice very low when speaking to my husband so it will be hard for people to guess I'm an American. I've traveled a ton and never been robbed or pickpocketed yet. I think that basically, with nothing obvious to steal, pickpockets move on to easier prey.

http://www.scottevest.com

Unless I get a job as a tourist, I don't think I'd be very comfortable touring in business attire! :) I don't wear shorts and t-shirts, but I wear casual clothes and good walking shoes/sandals. And I don't see much point in sightseeing if we don't take any photos or buy any souvenirs or other items. I'll also be taking my sunglasses and folding umbrella. So there's going to be some sort of bag to hold a few things. I'm going to look like a visitor.

I've said before that I'm never going to fool anyone into thinking I'm local unless I'm home. Frequently we are mistaken for Germans, unless we're in Germany. The Germans know we're not, which is fortunate, since I speak very little German. :p

I use a Pacsafe purse that I wear cross body, and an inner Pacsafe small purse that's made for cash/credit cards. This small purse has a chain that attaches to an inner zipper. This way my cash/ cards would be harder to steal without my knowledge if I'm making a purchase. I always carry my cards and passport in RFID proof folders.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A friend shared with me a blog from France several years ago before chip cards were in general use in the US. On this blog there was a warning about chip cards and how the information on the card could be stolen while the card was in the owner's wallet; crooks were using some type of electronic gear to pull off the card's information ( I don't remember all the details on how this worked). The blog suggested RFID protectors which block the crook from gaining access to the chip card information. RFID protectors are easily and cheaply available on line or in luggage/travel stores. There are even purses that are made for RFID protection.

I always carry my cards and passport in RFID proof folders.

Totally unnecessary. Passport info is encrypted, and most people don't even have RFID cards (it's not the same as chip and pin, which is a much more secure technology). Even if you did, it's really, really unlikely that someone would try to steal it in the way popularized in those videos whose sole purpose is to convince people to buy protection they don't need.

Read this, for example, from a true security expert: http://www.infoworld.com/article/3023422/security/why-you-dont-need-an-rfid-blocking-wallet.html

My husband has been picked twice in the many years traveling to Europe. The same blue wallet was picked in the Paris Metro...young person picked it even with rubber band around it, but discarded it on the floor complete with credit card and other ID. They didn't want it because it had no money inside. He always carries money in his money belt. The other time was in the men's room of the Acropolis Museum. Someone bumped him at a most inconvenient time and got his wallet from a buttoned front pocket. We went to lost and found and described the blue wallet and our US address at the same time a kind person who found the wallet from outside in the bushes brought it in. Again no money just a cruise card and one credit card. Who knows if the good samaritans that found the wallets were truly kind people or accomplices with a conscience. Does it keep us away? Never! Back to Rome, Barcelona and Athens again this year! I do carry a small cross body PacSafe, wear a bra pouch and removed the strap from our Nikon with a security strap that doesn't advertise.

Enjoy the world!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use a travel cross body bag with padded shoulder and reinforced straps with loads of interior zipped pockets...it also has a hidden waist strap but I rarely use it and keep it in its hidden pocket....however it comes in useful when the day is long and it gets irritating

keeping a hand on the bag all day...plus the waist strap keeps the bag from shifting too.

I pin the outside zippers shut

Never had a problem

Next trip though I am also doing a bra strap purse ....and before anyone asks ....just because I want to ...lol

I will have copy of pp...my extra credit card and cash tightly folded in it

Again just because I want to .....nothing more...nothing less

• 1 month later...
I use a travel cross body bag with padded shoulder and reinforced straps with loads of interior zipped pockets...it also has a hidden waist strap but I rarely use it and keep it in its hidden pocket....however it comes in useful when the day is long and it gets irritating

Crusin6 - do you happen to have the brand / name of the bag?

I prefer jockeys over briefs!

Just kidding.

Best bet is to leave the valuables in the cabin safe and take bare minimum off ship as needed for the port you are in/activities planned. Seapass card and any credit card or cash is simply in my front pocket. Never have had an issue in three decades of travel worldwide.

Then again, maybe I'm just lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crusin6 - do you happen to have the brand / name of the bag?

The only tag I could find on the bag says Eagle Creek and I did buy it at the Container store. About $50

Getting ready to pack it up again too!!!!

Thank you very much!! I found this web site, I'll look around and see what I can find.

Have a wonderful trip!!

Thank you and You're very welcome I looked at the website you uploaded but unfortunately I don't see my bag or anything remotely like it. I bought mine 10 years ago

The best way to describe it is a larger square type fanny pack that looks like a purse with reinforced padded across the chest strap and lots of zippered secure interior pockets and key fobs

It's not a fanny pack by any means nor does it look like one however when you open the secret zipper out comes reinforced straps that secure around your waist if you want

So it's an across the chest bag 6x9 square reinforced material bag with lots of secure compartments that you can also strap around your waist in addition to your chest.

It looks good too and gives some waist and lower back support after a long day if you use the waist straps. When I use them I usually strap it under my shirt making the strap undetectable in the back but still looks like a purse in front

Also I think if you checked out baggalini you would find something similar but I'm not too fond of the baggalini straps. Sort of too thin and too stiff for me

I learned about a very simple trick from a retired US Secret Service Agent (who was the #2 guy in the White House for several years). I simply keep my money in a front pocket which is further secured by a large safety pin. Its not full proof, but has worked quite well for many decades of travel. DW uses a large safety pin to pin her purse zippers together. She also wears it "cross shoulder." These are very simple basic precautions that have served us well for many years and many places. And there is no substitute for always being alert to your surroundings and acting according to common sense. None of this is perfect....but its usually enough to encourage thieves to look elsewhere to an "easy mark."

We should add a very simple and common sense warning. Do not wear valuable jewelry or watches. It only marks you as a target. The best way to protect valuables is not to have any :).

Hank

Excellent advise. You really just need to pay attention. I only take the money I need and a single card. Everything stays in the safe.

Also when you sit in cafes with your bag, put your leg through the strap so goes over your thigh and bag between your feet. Don't hang it on your seat.

I wouldn't recommend a money belt as you do not want to be fiddling with it & draw attention to yourself.

Man should never have wallet in back pocket.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk