What do you wear to secure your valuables?

dickinson

We wear a small fabric bag that hangs from a belt inside our pants. It's just big enough for a passport and a few cards/bills, and made of soft fabric. Super comfortable, and invisible.

Instead of the actual passport, I carry a color photocopy of my passport page printed on heavy paper. On the back are the name(s) of my travel companions, cell phone numbers, and a contact number for a family member at home. I also list my medical conditions and medications. (i.e. Diabetic, Allergic to XXX) If I were to become ill or injured and unable to speak for myself, it could.

Purse straps that can’t be cut through are good, zippers that are safety pinned are good, but we were on a crowded bus in Rome. My friend had her backpack hanging in front of her so no one could get into it without her knowledge.

We got off the bus and she thought she had torn the backpack. It had been sliced open at the bottom with a razor and her passport, billfold with all of her money and credit cards were gone. The bus was gone along with the thief.

Best not to carry anything you can’t afford to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just use a little purse that crosses my body. And I don’t go out alone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope you're not suggesting that one shouldn't go out alone? :confused:

As a solo traveler, I've walked around alone in various European cities -- often in the evening -- in cities ranging from Lisbon in the West to Istanbul in the East.

Take appropriate precautions with your belongings and you are unlikely to run into problems.

Purse straps that can’t be cut through are good, zippers that are safety pinned are good, but we were on a crowded bus in Rome. My friend had her backpack hanging in front of her so no one could get into it without her knowledge.

We got off the bus and she thought she had torn the backpack. It had been sliced open at the bottom with a razor and her passport, billfold with all of her money and credit cards were gone. The bus was gone along with the thief.

Best not to carry anything you can’t afford to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or do what many have suggested. Pare down to the essentials and carry those essentials under your clothing -- whether in a money belt, pouch, secret pocket, etc.

Or do what many have suggested. Pare down to the essentials and carry those essentials under your clothing -- whether in a money belt, pouch, secret pocket, etc.

To add to the paranoia:

A few years ago, a co-worker, traveling with three others was mugged in the metro in Paris. He was pushed down and one of the robbers reached under his shirt and cut off the money belt. He wasn't seriously harmed, only a couple of bruises. One of the others told us later that the strap was noticeable under the victim's white shirt.

To add to the paranoia:

A few years ago, a co-worker, traveling with three others was mugged in the metro in Paris. He was pushed down and one of the robbers reached under his shirt and cut off the money belt. He wasn't seriously harmed, only a couple of bruises. One of the others told us later that the strap was noticeable under the victim's white shirt.

Pretty soon we'll just be hiding things in secret compartments in the soles of our shoes!

You would think that there would be more of a police presence in the high tourist areas to try to prevent the known pick pocketing.

I am guessing that people may not go to Rome because of the issue. The area is losing out on business due to the ongoing problem.

You would think that there would be more of a police presence in the high tourist areas to try to prevent the known pick pocketing.

I am guessing that people may not go to Rome because of the issue. The area is losing out on business due to the ongoing problem.

There is plenty of police presence. There will always be pickpockets anywhere. Very few people actually get robbed.

People will go to Rome regardless. The area is not losing out on any business.

Best advice: Be sensible and stop reading this thread. (I will.)

• 3 weeks later...
Do not carry your passport or anything else that would cause inconvenience if lost.

If your bag is stolen and you lose €20 cash, a credit card, and an insured phone, then so what.

If your passport is stolen at the same time...

Yes hotel safes are not very secure and can be opened with a potato (Google it), but there is a limited range of people with access.

No potato required.

I find the waist-belt and neck-pouches to be very uncomfortable and obvious. Husband and I each wear a cloth bag that zips, about the size of a passport with a loop on the end. Either pass a belt through the loop or pin it to the waistband, and let the bag fall inside the front of our slacks. It feels just like having stuff in your front pocket, is easy to access, is virtually invisible, and hard to pickpocket.

We bought them on eBay years ago, my mom made a dozen more for the rest of the family... we use them in Vegas, in NYC, at festivals and any time we're in a crowd. Paranoid? Nah, its so easy and comfortable that its now second nature.

• 3 weeks later...
I have locking S Biner linking my zippers on my backpack. They are mini carabiners that have a twisting lock by Nite Ize. It would take a min for a thief to understand how it works but of course I'm always vigilante in who is close to me. If your going to be taking lots of photos, try and do so outside the crowd of people if you can. For my cash and CC, I use a small zippy pouch about the size of a CC. It has a key ring on one end and I use a large caribiner and attach to front belt loop and then flip the case inside between front pants and underwear. It's soft and comfortable. Easier than wearing a money belt.

Pickpockets are everywhere, not just the subway. If you want to see them work just head to trevi fountain and hang out on the side up above. Scan around and you'll notice the young people constantly moving around between the tourists who aren't paying any attn to what's going on.

What size S Biners do you use to secure your bag zips and such? I’m trying to decide if it’s better to buy a few of them or just get a new secure slashproof bag with locking zips etc. We don’t want to get targeted by pickpockets. Thank you👍

What size S Biners do you use to secure your bag zips and such? I’m trying to decide if it’s better to buy a few of them or just get a new secure slashproof bag with locking zips etc. We don’t want to get targeted by pickpockets. Thank you👍

No harm in doing both, if necessary! Because I’ve had a variety of Pacsafe bags for a long time now, I recognise them on other people when I see them. My hope is that pickpockets will recognise them too, and choose an easier target. I still have my card wallet clipped to a short chain inside my bag. Anything that’s going to take an extra second or two to make things awkward for a pickpocket seems like a good idea to me.

:cool:

I use a Pacsafe purse that I wear cross body, and an inner Pacsafe small purse that's made for cash/credit cards. This small purse has a chain that attaches to an inner zipper. This way my cash/ cards would be harder to steal without my knowledge if I'm making a purchase. I always carry my cards and passport in RFID proof folders.

I’m looking into these bags as an option too! Which one do you use? I’ve been looking at the pacsafe metrosafe ls250 model since the larger one isn’t practical for me. Pacsafe seem to have better construction and security than the Travelon models I’ve looked in to and there seems to be little significant price difference between the two company products. DH has a Crumpler Nikon bag he’s considering using and a sling bag too. I’d rather not have him look like a target whilst walking around the locations we want to visit and experience problems. If you know of any other reputable bags please let me know about them since I’m still planning everything.

Travel around the world has taught us to be careful no matter what city we are in and that includes our own home land.

We do leave jewelry in the hotel safe or on the ship and just wear watches and my wife some simple earrings.

I do use a travel wallet that is under my shirt and I bring some cash, an ATM Card and a Credit Card and leave everything else on ship or at hotel.

And we try to be street smart.

If someone is walking to close from behind I let them pass and we are just observant of our surroundings.

Keith

I keep money in my front pocket, wallet in back pocket with button, but I have also had the tailor put a inside zipper in some of my pants back pocket. So really hard for someone to go through two layers of security. Besides I am protected on all my credit cards and if on tour I don't carry all cards, and lots of money. So far have lost nothing. Came close in Thailand when a team tried to pick pocket me on a Baht Bus, didn't work, and after his/her hand didn't work either

I live in the centre of Europe's largest city and use a cross body bag whenever I go out. Make sure I am aware of my surroundings and the last time I was pickpocketed was about 40 years ago at Viareggio Carnival in Italy.

We have travelled all over the world. The only place that we have had any problems was Bali, where a watch was stolen from our room and we got short changed by money changers, despite us having very carefully watched them count out the money.

We are careful. My husband always wears shorts or trousers with a zip inside the side pocket where he keeps his wallet. He has his camera on a belt clip, also with a wrist strap on it. I have a purse in a ‘bum’ bag which I wear at my front & keep my hands on it.

I never wear good jewellery and my husband wears an old watch when out sight-seeing. We only ever take out enough money for the day, and one credit card.

:cool:

I’m looking into these bags as an option too! Which one do you use? I’ve been looking at the pacsafe metrosafe ls250 model since the larger one isn’t practical for me. Pacsafe seem to have better construction and security than the Travelon models I’ve looked in to and there seems to be little significant price difference between the two company products. DH has a Crumpler Nikon bag he’s considering using and a sling bag too. I’d rather not have him look like a target whilst walking around the locations we want to visit and experience problems. If you know of any other reputable bags please let me know about them since I’m still planning everything.

I have had my Pacsafe bag for quite a few years. I looked at their website before answering this post, and the one closest to what I have is called the Crossbody Stylesafe. Also, I use an RFID protected wallet. It’s also by Pacsafe, and is the W200. I don’t use it on my wrist; I use the cord as an attachment to a tab inside the purse. If someone tries to get the wallet, I’m going to know it. Some people feel that some of these things ( like RFID protection) are unnecessary and simply things to sell merchandise. Personally, I’d rather err on the side of caution.

Sandy

I have had my Pacsafe bag for quite a few years. I looked at their website before answering this post, and the one closest to what I have is called the Crossbody Stylesafe. Also, I use an RFID protected wallet. It’s also by Pacsafe, and is the W200. I don’t use it on my wrist; I use the cord as an attachment to a tab inside the purse. If someone tries to get the wallet, I’m going to know it. Some people feel that some of these things ( like RFID protection) are unnecessary and simply things to sell merchandise. Personally, I’d rather err on the side of caution.

Sandy

Thanks for the update, and so quickly too! I’m glad you told me about this bag. It looks about the right size for me to carry my essentials( we pack light and carry the minimum whenever we can ). DH doesn’t like to use a wallet ( he has one he’s never used since receiving it one Christmas) although over the years he has lost money from his pockets in the past. I’d rather carry cash somewhere more secure tbh. I also will need space for feminine necessaries ( yep I went there girls) and guide books and note pad and a couple of rain ponchos (a habit we picked up in Florida) as well as gum, water and usual OTC medicines. I don’t want to be a pack horse on holiday no matter where we go. My thinking is the less we carry then the less attention we would draw. I’m amazed how friendly folks are here and appreciate it a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife was pick pocketed in London back in 1999. What a miserable experience. Passports and all. Now we travel with lanyards down inside of our shirts or blouse. Leaving all valuables including passports secured either onboard the ship or in a safe. Only carrying what might be needed for the day. We have not been pick pocketed since, but we are also much more aware than we were back then. It only has to happen once.

My wife was pick pocketed in London back in 1999. What a miserable experience. Passports and all. Now we travel with lanyards down inside of our shirts or blouse. Leaving all valuables including passports secured either onboard the ship or in a safe. Only carrying what might be needed for the day. We have not been pick pocketed since, but we are also much more aware than we were back then. It only has to happen once.

I’m hoping to avoid a lanyard since we both have to wear one each to work every day. Mine irritates my skin constantly and because I can’t adjust it in any way, also it can often bang around whilst walking about and leaning to look at things. It is something I’m not keen on wearing because of where it rubs. (You ladies with a larger than average chest know what I mean)Perhaps if it were less intrusive and adjustable with RFID blocking it could be a viable option.