CPAP question

34TigerLily

With a high degree of medical probability, obstructive sleep apnea is what killed Justice Antonin Scalia. His C-PAP machine was on a night table, next to his bed, and had not been turned on the night he passed. I would never use the term "treatment" as a use for a C-PAP machine. This machine literally breathes for the person using it.

Nope. Standard CPAPs do not literally breathe for you. There are machines that do that, but they are not commonly used.

Standard CPAP/BiPAP is used for people with OSA. When you obstruct the machine prevents or reverses the obstruction depending on which brand/model you have.

The CPAP/BiPAP that literally breathes for you is used for people who have central sleep apnea (with or without OSA). These "adaptive servo" machines are mini ventilators and very expensive.

Nope. Standard CPAPs do not literally breathe for you. There are machines that do that, but they are not commonly used.

Standard CPAP/BiPAP is used for people with OSA. When you obstruct the machine prevents or reverses the obstruction depending on which brand/model you have.

The CPAP/BiPAP that literally breathes for you is used for people who have central sleep apnea (with or without OSA). These "adaptive servo" machines are mini ventilators and very expensive.

That would be similar to the kind my son has. His machine has volume ventilation in addition to the traditional pressures that CPAP/BIPAP have and is accompanied by a back up rate in case he does not breath (he has mixed apnea, both central and obstructive). SO thankful for this machine, as without it he would have been trached and ventilated years ago. (he started using bipap at age 5, he is now 20 and transitioned to this machine 4 years ago when his bipap pressure needs exceeded the machine's abilities).

That would be similar to the kind my son has. His machine has volume ventilation in addition to the traditional pressures that CPAP/BIPAP have and is accompanied by a back up rate in case he does not breath (he has mixed apnea, both central and obstructive). SO thankful for this machine, as without it he would have been trached and ventilated years ago. (he started using bipap at age 5, he is now 20 and transitioned to this machine 4 years ago when his bipap pressure needs exceeded the machine's abilities).

Yup, that's the one. Those machines have kept a lot of people off of trach/ventilation.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you guys have to do anything special to bring your CPAP on board? Do you need any doctor's verification letters? Or do you just bring it on as a piece of carry on luggage? Thanks.

Nothing special is needed. My DW has been bringing her CPAP machine on board for about 5 years now without any issues at all. It is considered a medical device and you can carry it on board with your other carry on luggage. No doctor's verification needed. Don't forget to order the free distilled water via your Cruise Peronalizer and it should be there in your stateroom when you embark. If not, ask your Room Steward and they will bring one to your room.

Paul

Nothing special is needed. My DW has been bringing her CPAP machine on board for about 5 years now without any issues at all. It is considered a medical device and you can carry it on board with your other carry on luggage. No doctor's verification needed. Don't forget to order the free distilled water via your Cruise Peronalizer and it should be there in your stateroom when you embark. If not, ask your Room Steward and they will bring one to your room.

Paul

I've never been questioned about my CPAP when flying or cruising anywhere in the world. I never check it, but keep it with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you very much for the info. I have requested the distilled water. Waiting for confirmation. :)

I've never been questioned about my CPAP when flying or cruising anywhere in the world. I never check it, but keep it with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My husband & I both use CPAP . We have been questioned in an airport . TSA demanded we take them out of the case & have them scanned separately in those filthy tubs . We complied after lodging our displeasure . An older TSA agent came over to us after this ordeal & made a valuable suggestion . We now travel with them inside a large ziplock in their case .

I totally agree with the last poster.

I am a very compliant CPAP user-I am NOT overweight but have unusual airway anatomy that has relegated me to the "beast" machine.

I cannot fathom going without my "sustenance" machine especially on an expensive vacation. If I go even ONE night without my CPAP I feel horrible the next day. Usually that occurs on call in the hospital or on a red eye long haul flight

Time to change doctors if that one advised you to "go without it". Really BAD advice. And yes, I AM a physician. That is why I am shocked about that poor advice.

I went on Bipap therapy 05/14/14 and have only 1 night where I didn't use it, My daughters condo buildings electricity was turned off for pole replacement, and I stayed up the night. These machines are prescribed for a reason! Princess is very cooperative in providing distilled water and if needed extension cords. My machine never leaves my side traveling. I travel a lot, and you'll all sleep better knowing your pilot slept great with his mask on.

If the ship's water is distilled, why do they offer bottled distilled water? One answer to that is they also take on potable water in their home port. The process of desalinating the water is very expensive and time consuming. Most, if not all ships take on water on embarkation day. How long that water lasts depends on the ship but it does not go through the same process.

It is true that many, but probably not "most", ships bunker water in port, this is only done if the itinerary does not allow sufficient time at sea to produce the water needed for the cruise.

The process of distilling water is really neither costly nor time consuming on a ship. The amount of electricity used to run a flash evaporator is probably less than the power used by 200 cabins (a pittance of the total power generated), and the heat comes from the cooling water of the diesel engines, which would be "wasted" by cooling it with sea water if not used to heat the water in the evaporator to boiling.

The ship's water, from the 3 sources: municipal water from shore, distillers, and reverse osmosis units, tend to be intermingled during a cruise, so the minerals in municipal water tend to get diluted by the distilled water produced. We were always filling requests for distilled water, where a cabin steward was friends with an engineer, and they would ask the engineer to fill a jug from the evaporator when underway. This was, of course, before the cruise lines thought of a revenue stream for distilled water.

For those interested in using tap water, as another poster noted, mineral deposits should be minimal for a week's cruise, and can be easily removed. I would suggest filling the reservoir first thing in the morning, so that when the CPAP is needed that night, the chlorine in the tap water has had a chance to dissipate naturally.

Since my DH began traveling with a CPAP machine, we have always stayed in a minisuite or a full suite. Has anyone stayed in an inside, obstructed view, or balcony cabin with a CPAP machine? If so, where is the outlet located in which you plug it? Do you need an extension cord?

Just got off the Eclipse last week. I had no issues with them or the Regal last Feb. You will likely get a cord you bring confiscated. You should be able to find a "medical" issue spot on the Princess web site. Make your needs known & you'll have no problem. It's always been easy to request a power cord & distilled water. It's best to request this before you board, as it might be more difficult after the fact.

Something else to consider. I talked with my Dr. and she said travel without my CPAP for a week or two should not be a problem, just resume treatment when you get home. If snoring results it may be a problem for your cabin mate, but ear plugs are easy to pack.

I'd get a new doctor. Even going 1 night without the machine has ruined my sleep. We go on 14 day cruise & I could never think of not taking the machine. If you don't have Sleep Apnea, don't ever feel you can "advise" others about the condition, even if you ARE a doctor.

I'd get a new doctor. Even going 1 night without the machine has ruined my sleep. We go on 14 day cruise & I could never think of not taking the machine. If you don't have Sleep Apnea, don't ever feel you can "advise" others about the condition, even if you ARE a doctor.

Like you just did ;) Conditions, treatments and tolerances vary considerably. Everybody is different I was not Advising anyone to do anything without medical consult.

Edited by Musky Ike

Just got off the Eclipse last week. I had no issues with them or the Regal last Feb. You will likely get a cord you bring confiscated.

I have never had my own extension cord confiscated on any Princess ship. Which ship did this happen to you on?

A question for the spouses of c pap users: Is the machine loud? Does it keep you awake? My husband snores incredibly loud and also stops breathing. He's finally going to talk to the doctor about it and I'm sure a c pap is in our future. It can't possibly be as loud as he is, but I'm wondering what it will be like. I'm hoping it will mean better sleep for both of us.

My cpap makes zero noise. When your husband is fitted for a machine he will be hooked up to the cpap to see which model fits best. That will be your opportunity to hear whatever noise it makes. This was my experience. There may be some machines that do make a noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A question for the spouses of c pap users: Is the machine loud? Does it keep you awake? My husband snores incredibly loud and also stops breathing. He's finally going to talk to the doctor about it and I'm sure a c pap is in our future. It can't possibly be as loud as he is, but I'm wondering what it will be like. I'm hoping it will mean better sleep for both of us.

I cannot speak as a spouse, but as a user. CPAP machines are nearly silent, even when positioned a few inches from my head. You will love the no snoring silence, as my wife has noted many times. An XPAP machine can be a life saver if a person has sleep apnea. You should be pushing him to the doctor for his well being, and for you to be able to sleep in peace.

I have never had my own extension cord confiscated on any Princess ship. Which ship did this happen to you on?

Celebrity has been known confiscate extension cords per their written rules of "no extension cords allowed". Having said that, this past December I was able to go right through security with a 10' extension cord in our carry-on bag. I had already made arrangements with Celebrity for them to supply an extension cord and distilled water, so I had no intention of using mine (I only had one incase it was needed at our pre-cruise hotel).

As for Princess, they do not have any rules prohibiting extension cords and may not be able to supply one as I was instructed by Princess in a pre-cruise response to a letter I sent them asking for one a year ago. A couple weeks ago on the Regal I used my own extension cord without issue and the cabin attendant taped it to the floor for us.

The older machines used to be quite noisy (my son went on bipap 15 years ago and it was a beast of a machine!). These days the machines are much nicer, very quiet... biggest problem I think for a spouse or bed partner is that if they are facing you there is a steady stream of air, often quite cold that comes from the mask. It depends on the pressure that the user needs as to how much air is coming out, and if you are sensitive to it that can be a bit annoying! It will take him some time to get used to his new bedtime buddy, but it is SO worth it for both of you. I started on cpap over the summer myself, and while it has taken some time to get used to, my sleep is much improved. There are a great variety of different masks, so hopefully he can work with a good company that will work with him to trade out masks until he finds one that is just exactly what he needs for his comfort sleeping that works for his needs (mouth vs nose breathing, chin strap, etc). Ours was awesome... I had a month to try out whatever masks I needed until I found the right "fit". Here's to better sleeping for you both!

Just a related editorial comment: Based on my experience the past two years since being diagnosed with sleep apnea, I believe that it is grossly misunderstood, and underdiagnosed problem, that wreaks havoc on almost every bodily function. Most people do not even know the symptoms, and/or have no partner to alert them that they my have SA. Here is a very common symptom of SA that you may not know of; frequent trips to the bathroom at night. If you have to go more than once, may twice, a night, you are a likely SA candidate. I never knew that this is a very common symptom, maybe even more than snoring.

Sorry for the diversion, but if it saves someone's life.....

Just a related editorial comment: Based on my experience the past two years since being diagnosed with sleep apnea, I believe that it is grossly misunderstood, and underdiagnosed problem, that wreaks havoc on almost every bodily function. Most people do not even know the symptoms, and/or have no partner to alert them that they my have SA. Here is a very common symptom of SA that you may not know of; frequent trips to the bathroom at night. If you have to go more than once, may twice, a night, you are a likely SA candidate. I never knew that this is a very common symptom, maybe even more than snoring.

Sorry for the diversion, but if it saves someone's life.....

I had a patient who was getting up every 30-45 minutes and blamed it on his "prostrate". Nope, sleep apnea. He started using CPAP and slept straight through the night the first night.

My wifes only complaint/comment on my Bipap usage is that, " for years I couldn't sleep because I constantly had to kick you to make you breath, and now I don't get to sleep because you have so much energy you're jumping on me every morning".

Happy Bipap user! We have never had an extension cord confiscated from us. I carry my cord in my Bipap bag just to be sure.

Do you guys have to do anything special to bring your CPAP on board? Do you need any doctor's verification letters? Or do you just bring it on as a piece of carry on luggage? Thanks.

Not only is your CPAP carry on luggage, but it doesn't count as any kind of luggage on an airplane (at least on US airlines - federal law). You can bring a carry on AND your CPAP.