Press Release on Edge

dkjretired

A new press release on the Edge ships has been released

The Ultimate Collaboration: Celebrity Cruises Taps Designer Nate Berkus to Introduce Celebrity Edge to the World

The modern luxury cruise line joins forces with Nate Berkus to tell the story of Edge Class, the most stunningly designed ships at sea

Photos(1)

MIAMI, Jan. 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- To kick off the New Year in style, Celebrity Cruises is announcing an exclusive partnership with design icon Nate Berkus, naming him Design Ambassador for the brand's newest class of ships – Edge Class.

As Design Ambassador, Berkus will bring his distinctive personality to the launch of Celebrity Edge, hosting a series of Edge Class reveal events alongside Celebrity's President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo and Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Richard D. Fain. Designed, and soon to be revealed to the world in 3D, Edge Class will transform the future of cruising. Together, Berkus and Celebrity will share this groundbreaking story in March 2017.

A pioneer in the industry, Berkus established his award-winning interior design firm at the age of 24, showcasing an approachable and elevated design philosophy that has transformed countless interiors around the world for more than 20 years. Over and above the interiors he designs, Berkus' signature style has been carried through to his highly popular product lines which include a home and baby collection sold at Target, a fabric line at Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Stores, as well as being Artistic Advisor for LG STUDIO. As such, Berkus was a perfect fit to showcase Celebrity's cutting-edge innovation and breathtaking design on its newest class of ships.

"Nate Berkus embodies modern luxury, and evokes a global aesthetic with his forward-thinking style, which is admired by the design world and the world at large," said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO, Celebrity Cruises. "When we first sat down with Nate, we knew this was going to be an incredible partnership. Design is in our DNA, as well as Nate's, plus we share a love for the same things: modern luxury, one-of-a-kind design, and global travel. We couldn't think of a better person to collaborate with on the truly transformational Edge Class."

"When Celebrity approached me about a potential partnership, I couldn't wait to get onboard – pun intended. Their commitment to delivering the very best in terms of luxury design, but also their attention to the overall experience, the level of detail and care, really stood out for me," said Berkus. "I love the idea that we can travel beautifully, and that every moment of the experience – from start to finish – is exceptional. That's what the Edge Class is all about."

Edge Class is Celebrity's first new ship class in nearly a decade, succeeding the brand's revolutionary Solstice Class. The company expects delivery of Celebrity Edge in Fall 2018. Celebrity Beyond is scheduled for delivery in Spring 2020, and the third and fourth Edge Class ships in Fall 2021 and Fall 2022, respectively.

Celebrity Cruises will continue revealing details throughout 2017 and 2018, inviting guests along the pioneering journey and offering glances of what's to come in the future of cruising. For more information on Celebrity Cruises, visit celebritycruises.com.

About Celebrity Cruises:

Celebrity Cruises' iconic "X" is the mark of modern luxury, with its cool, contemporary design and warm spaces; dining experiences where the design of the venues is as important as the cuisine; and the amazing service that only Celebrity can provide, all created to provide an unmatchable experience for vacationers' precious time. Celebrity Cruises' 12 ships offer modern luxury vacations visiting all seven continents. Celebrity also presents incredible cruise tour experiences in Alaska and Canada. Celebrity is one of five cruise brands operated by global cruise vacation company Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL). For more information, dial 1-800-437-3111, visit http://www.celebritycruises.com, or call your travel agent.

About Nate Berkus:

Since designer Nate Berkus established his award-winning interior design firm at the age of 24, his approachable and elevated philosophy has transformed countless homes around the world through his design work, home collections, books, television shows and media appearances. Ever since Berkus' first appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2002, he has become one of the world's most recognizable interior designers. His work has been featured in publications including Architectural Digest, House Beautiful, VOGUE, InStyle, O Magazine, People and ELLE DÉCOR, which included him on their "A-List" of the world's top designers. His popular product lines include a home and Baby collection sold at Target, a fabric line at JoAnn Fabric & Craft Stores, as well as being Artistic Advisor for LG STUDIO. He has authored two New York Times bestselling books: Home Rules (2005) and The Things That Matter (2012), and in 2011 he served as Executive Producer of the Oscar winning film, The Help. Audiences followed Berkus through his own television shows, the daily-syndicated The Nate Berkus Show and 2014's American Dream Builders (NBC). Audiences will soon see him on TLC in a new show launching Spring 2017.

SOURCE Celebrity Cruises

For further information: Media Contacts: Nathalie Alberto, (305) 539-6721, nalberto@rccl.com ; Bradley Norman, (305) 539-4413, bradleynorman@rccl.com

To unsubscribe or change your settings click here:

http://royalcaribbean.investorroom.com/index.php?s=subscribe&code=7rknUzu9bUyTBdMBDYJ70kFKl-McklcT

Edited by dkjretired

It will be interesting to see how his design aesthetic carries over to the ships. Very eclectic but classic at the same time. I really like his work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know your post was written at the same time as mine but if you read the PR they don't say he is designing anything on the ship.

I know your post was written at the same time as mine but if you read the PR they don't say he is designing anything on the ship.

Right. They are just having a world acclaimed interior designer do the PR but he is not going to be assisting, inputting or having any influence on the any interior designs or decorations? Even though they have publicly announced a "partnership" with him, released comments on their similarities in design aesthetic, and released an official photo if him with the celebrity logo... oh and paid him money for the partnership.

Go on and think that.

Right. They are just having a world acclaimed interior designer do the PR but he is not going to be assisting, inputting or having any influence on the any interior designs or decorations? Even though they have publicly announced a "partnership" with him, released comments on their similarities in design aesthetic, and released an official photo if him with the celebrity logo... oh and paid him money for the partnership.

Go on and think that.

Why not, Just relaying what's in the press release, you are assuming everything else. I could be totally wrong but I've also been reading Celebrity Press releases for many years. If he's doing all the things you say, why wouldn't they be proud to announce it instead of writing a vague release that says nothing of what he will do other than announcing parts of the design.

Edited by dkjretired

Go on and think that.

The headline from this cruise publication doesn't mention him designing anything on the ship? It states that X have hired him to introduce the new Edge Class https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/16280-celebrity-hires-designer-nate-berkus-to-introduce-new-edge-class-ships.html

Surely X would be shouting from the hilltops he was designing anything on the new ships - even if it was only the GS desk :D.

The headline from this cruise publication doesn't mention him designing anything on the ship? It states that X have hired him to introduce the new Edge Class https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/16280-celebrity-hires-designer-nate-berkus-to-introduce-new-edge-class-ships.html

Surely X would be shouting from the hilltops he was designing anything on the new ships - even if it was only the GS desk :D.

Celebrity cruises is known for being vague and releasing very few details. A world renowned designer would not put his name on anything that he didn't have a say in.

"Oh here is this brand new ship.... This is what it is going to look like... look at these great designs... Isn't is beautiful?? ...Oh I had nothing to do with it"

That doesn't happen when you are active and successful in your profession. That happens when you are retired, washed up and need money. Not the case for Nate.

But we will see. Check back for a "told you so!" in March :rolleyes:

Edited by Gishua_
spelling

Celebrity cruises is known for being vague and releasing very few details. A world renowned designer would not put his name on anything that he didn't have a say in.

"Oh here is this brand new ship.... This is what it is going to look like... look at these great designs... Isn't is beautiful?? ...Oh I had nothing to do with it"

That doesn't happen when you are active and successful in your profession. That happens when you are retired, washed up and need money. Not the case for Nate.

But we will see. Check back for a "told you so!" in March :rolleyes:

When the S class ships were introduced, they issued press releases as to who was designing the ships. Even bragged about the group of women who designed the staterooms. My purpose in bringing this up originally was that I thought it was odd that they made no mention of him designing anything. Not something I'm worried about.

Edited by dkjretired

No idea whatever why a home interior designer would be a match for designing the interior of a ship. Two totally different things.

Hopefully all he is doing is selling his name to project.

They're really not all that different. He's also done hotel work in the past. Celebrity is emphasizing 'high design and luxe travel' for Edge. Nate's design is rather high (priced!) and he uses travel as an influence in a lot of his work. Yes, he probably won't directly oversee all design, but I highly doubt he would put his name on something that comes out looking like an 80's Carnival ship.

Look at NCL Joy (or Bliss? I can't keep their names straight). The common areas released so far look much more like a higher end hotel than a cruise ship. I would expect much of the same from Celebrity.

They're really not all that different. He's also done hotel work in the past. Celebrity is emphasizing 'high design and luxe travel' for Edge. Nate's design is rather high (priced!) and he uses travel as an influence in a lot of his work. Yes, he probably won't directly oversee all design, but I highly doubt he would put his name on something that comes out looking like an 80's Carnival ship.

Look at NCL Joy (or Bliss? I can't keep their names straight). The common areas released so far look much more like a higher end hotel than a cruise ship. I would expect much of the same from Celebrity.

I don't think anyone would assume that the new Edge Class ships will look anything like an 80s Carnival ship, so he's got no worries there. What I think people were trying to point out was nowhere on any of the press releases does it state that he's designed anything on the ships.

I don't think anyone would assume that the new Edge Class ships will look anything like an 80s Carnival ship, so he's got no worries there. What I think people were trying to point out was nowhere on any of the press releases does it state that he's designed anything on the ships.

Assume that you are a very popular person in your profession. A person that is in very high demand and a person yields a large sum of money to even make an appearance, to say these curtains over those, or this lamp shade over that one. I can bet that you are not going to put your name on anything unless you have a say in some of it and it reflects your work.

No, Celebrity has not revealed that Nate Berkus has designed any public space on the new Celebrity edge. In fact, Celebrity releases very little details at all until last minute. They stay vague to keep interest high. But its common sense to assume that he is having a say in something. Your utter resistance to even try to understand that he is going to have something to do with the interior design of the public spaces in ludicrous. Again, he does not make appearances to just announce things. He is an interior designer that is highly reputable and desired due to his modern design aesthetic.

Assume that you are a very popular person in your profession. A person that is in very high demand and a person yields a large sum of money to even make an appearance, to say these curtains over those, or this lamp shade over that one. I can bet that you are not going to put your name on anything unless you have a say in some of it and it reflects your work.

No, Celebrity has not revealed that Nate Berkus has designed any public space on the new Celebrity edge. In fact, Celebrity releases very little details at all until last minute. They stay vague to keep interest high. But its common sense to assume that he is having a say in something. Your utter resistance to even try to understand that he is going to have something to do with the interior design of the public spaces in ludicrous. Again, he does not make appearances to just announce things. He is an interior designer that is highly reputable and desired due to his modern design aesthetic.

No resistance - I couldn't care less who designs what on the new ships. All I was pointing out was that nowhere on any press release does it state he is designing the interior of the ships - FACT!

200_s.gif

Edited by sloopsailor

Assume that you are a very popular person in your profession. A person that is in very high demand and a person yields a large sum of money to even make an appearance, to say these curtains over those, or this lamp shade over that one. I can bet that you are not going to put your name on anything unless you ARE GETTING PAID WELL FOR IT.

There! Fixed it for you!

You're welcomed!

Edited by SantaFeFan

Just my humble opinion/observation here, but I think you all should keep in mind that it is a long time until the first ship will be commissioned -- they have only begun to cut steel at this point. As such, I see no reason to to believe that anything more than "concept" work has been done on the interiors. The final choices on surface treatments and furniture are still a long way off. If they have hired this guy to "present" whatever it is, I'm sure its a safe bet that his design ethic, whatever that is, will be part of the interior design process and whatever is his style will be reflected in the interiors of the ships.

Out of curiosity I looked at some of this guy's stuff and all I can see about him in particular is that he seems to like skinny metal legs on tables and chairs. Ho hum. But I'm a philistine when it comes to interiors, so what do I know?