Misty Fjords- boat or plane?

Hsmama

I have done Tracy Arm 3 ways. The ship, small boat and flight. When I flew with Michelle of Island Wings it was thrilling and the most memorable tour I had. She is a wonderful, a very save pilot and flew us over the Fjords with ease. We saw a few humpbacks in the water when we took off and got out on open water and Mt. Goats dotted the Mts along the way too the lake were we landed. I would do this tour again. It is a smaller plane that holds 3 passengers plus the pilot but very save in my opinion.

The tour through the ship that went too Sawyer Glacier was very good also. We got very close too the waterfalls, saw lots of wildlife in and out of the water and got very close too the Glacier. The ship cannot get as close as we did too these things. Photo shots are spectacular.

Of course the ship cruise that goes through Tracy Arm and not Glacier Bay is a beautiful cruise and one too remember.

Either tour will be worth it.

I have done Tracy Arm 3 ways. The ship, small boat and flight. When I flew with Michelle of Island Wings it was thrilling and the most memorable tour I had. She is a wonderful, a very save pilot and flew us over the Fjords with ease. We saw a few humpbacks in the water when we took off and got out on open water and Mt. Goats dotted the Mts along the way too the lake were we landed. I would do this tour again. It is a smaller plane that holds 3 passengers plus the pilot but very save in my opinion.

The tour through the ship that went too Sawyer Glacier was very good also. We got very close too the waterfalls, saw lots of wildlife in and out of the water and got very close too the Glacier. The ship cannot get as close as we did too these things. Photo shots are spectacular.

Of course the ship cruise that goes through Tracy Arm and not Glacier Bay is a beautiful cruise and one too remember.

Either tour will be worth it.

Your flight with Island Wings was to Misty Fjords - near Ketchikan. Tracy Arm Fjord is further north, and closer to Juneau.

Looks like 2 options here..... which is preferable? I am a bit nervous bout the little plane idea.... and wondering if the boat is a more majestic viewing of the scenery,vs. from high above? any opinions?

Take the flight.

You will not be high above. We actually landed on one of the pristine lakes in Misty fjords. It was beyond wonderful.

We really enjoyed the flight. I believe that Island Wings and Mountain Air Service (the operate on same dock and use same office) both land and float to shore allowing you to exit the plane and walk in the middle of the Fjords. (not just land on the water as most do). This was a big plus for us. We went on Mountain Air Service as Island Wings were full. It was a great excursion - well worth ig.

I have only done the flight (so I can't compare between the two) BUT I can tell you it was spectacular...although I might not feel that way had it not been such beautiful weather. Seeing the mountain lakes overflowing into steep waterfalls cascading down the mountainside was incredible!

You will get a chance to see other fjords from the ship so to me the flight offered a totally new perspective.

We booked our flight through Family Air and were very pleased. Dave (the owner) has a very small plane that only holds four passengers plus the pilot. Since we were traveling with another couple it was like having our own private chartered flight! Dave also landed on one of the mountain lakes and gave us a chance to get out on land and do a little exploring for about a half an hour which I thought was pretty cool!

Here is a link to a blog post I did about our Misty Fjords flightseeing tour from Ketchikan. Perhaps seeing the photos might help you make up your mind!!

Misty Fjords Flightseeing Tour with Family Air

Edited by AryMay

Spend the $$ and take the flight. We used Island Wings to do this last year, and it was one of the best things we have ever experienced! Michelle is a true gem - she and her crew are just so down to earth. I really can't say enough about them. You won't regret it - trust me! You only live once.