Your favorite HAL cocktail ($8 and under of course)

kangforpres

My favorite drink before dinner in the Ocean bar is a double Vodka Gimlet, on the rocks, with a lime. Pretty basic, but the vodka is Gray Goose. And I have no problems getting a double on the SBP. They just charge it off as 2 drinks out of my 15 for the day. Gray Goose is definitely included in the SBP. So are double shots of most any drink, as long as a single shot is $8 or less. And there's not too much in the line of liquors that exceed $8. And, if that is still not good enough for you, you can pay $10 a day extra and upgrade to the Elite Beverage Package which tops out at $15 per drink. I usually purchase the SBP first day onboard. I got it once with the Explore-4 promotion, but I never tried to upgrade it when it comes "free" with Explore-4.

They had it on the Eurodam last month. It's not on the bar menu though. There's quite a bit that's stocked but not listed. You sort of have to look at the back bar. I'm not sure that the new bar menus are a good idea. I know that a lot of people liked to be able to peruse the specialty cocktail lists and drinks of the day. I drink Maker's Mark on the rocks, which in addition to being on the menu, is very easy to spot given the distinctive bottle.

Try the Knob Creek.

Hi Everyone-

Going to have the Signature Beverage Package on a upcoming 14 day cruise so I need drink suggestions. I'm partial to bourbon but also enjoy rum and vodka.

Not a heavy drinker but I want to experience what others have enjoyed to help me make the most of the Signature Beverage Package.

Thanks,

Paul

Try our Canadian friends favorite sort-of-equivalent of a "Bloody Mary". It's called a "Caesar". Mainly same-thing as a Mary, but with clam-juice, and I think, more spice. Very tasty.

I'm kind'a hooked on it now. YMMV.

Unfortunately, there is some bad news ... HA changed the glasses, and the # of market cocktails is now down ~+50%.

Experienced that several days again on the Eurodam. The straws are under water (too short for the tall tapered glass); you may or may not get a sliver of celery; and the drink size appears to be substantially reduced. I did the 2-for-1 Happy Hour ... now +$2 (!!!!!), and was able to pour the whole contents of 1 cocktail into a normal-sized water glass in my cabin.

Still going to cruise with HA, because I don't cruise to drink.

I am not a big drinker but we have the explore4 promo on our 1st HAL cruise (Eurodam/alaska) so I would really like to take advantage of the promo with a few drinks. I enjoy Moscato or Riesling and from I what I have seen of drink menus, they don't have any under $8. Is this true? I am not sure that upgrading to the Elite plan would be worth it for me since I am not really a big drinker at all. Just not sure what kind of cocktail I could order that doesn't have a very strong alcohol taste. I know my Hubby will definitely enjoy these suggestions, I will need to share the list with him.

On the recommendation of our beverage steward, I had a Miami Vice that was very good (the first time I had it; second time not so much; think they made it wrong). It's part pina colada and part I think strawberry daiquiri. Was not on the cocktail menu that I saw.

I drank tons of these on Carnival.

I hope to drink some in 10 days on Zuiderdam

Kiss on the Lips;

1.25 OZ PEACH SCHNAPPS or any peach flavored alcohol

3 OZ MANGO PUREE

0.5 OZ GRENADINE

Garnish, Orange slice & Cheery

PLACE GRENADINE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE GLASS. PREPARE MANGO DAIQUIRI AND POUR INTO THE CENTER OF THE GLASS

I still enjoy a Manhattan Up before dinner. If I don't order that, then a good red wine, preferably a Beaujolais if it is available with dinner.

Marianne

Try their "slightly less than perfect" Manhattan with dirty cherry, up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Pirates Punch, which shows up as a drink of the day in the Caribbean. It's the same as Planters Punch, they just rename it to be "local."

Which raises a question, if you like a drink of the day, can you get it the next day? I think the mixed fruit juices for Pirates Punch were in a pitcher, so I wonder if they would be willing to mix one individually.

Frozen daiquiri (real lime daiquiri, none of that fruity stuff) was good too. Margaritas were hit and miss.

Ultimat Vodka, straight up. OOPS. Wrong cruise line...

Sigh. Without any good high-end vodkas to drink straight, I resort to a Moscow Mule.

Best Mule I ever had was actually at a movie theater in Scottsdale, AZ; they added pressed ginger puree to the ginger beer and vodka. Yum!

Some of our favorites:

-tropical cable car

-frosty chocolate mint buzz (like a chocolate milkshake)

-Tanqueray 0010 Martini

-grapefruit cosmo

-pink coral martini ( in Silk Den)

- jalapeño martini ( in Silk Den)

- lemon drop requested dry and without sugar rim

You can see photos of these drinks and drink menus in the links below.

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2015/03/21/an-update-on-the-signature-beverage-package-on-holland-america-cruises/

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2015/12/21/an-improved-signature-beverage-package-on-holland-america-cruises/

On our last cruise we upgraded to the Elite Beverage package on the Koningsdam- Mr Jones enjoyed exploring different whiskeys at the Notes Tasting Bar and I loved drinking Nicholas Feuillatte champagne as well as a number of good wines by the glass

Sent from my iPad using Forums