Pre-Cruise Land Tour in Alaska--8/2017

grandmaLUU

Hi Everyone! My sister & I along with the hubby's are doing a 6 day land tour prior to our Cruise in August on the Island Princess

We have been on 1 Cruise before to Alaska 10 yrs ago on NCL and it was fabulous--had a balcony---but we are excited about traveling on Princess.

My question is in regard to how best to pack-- I feel good about what we need to wear--ie: casual, layering etc but should I pack 1 suitcase for the 6 day excursion piece and then another for the cruise part?

I was thinking it may be easier as the land tour is ultra casual where as our cruise clothes will be more smart casual--we won't be doing the formal attire-- not really into that

I also plan to have a daypack too for our day excursions. Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you all!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Everyone! My sister & I along with the hubby's are doing a 6 day land tour prior to our Cruise in August on the Island Princess

We have been on 1 Cruise before to Alaska 10 yrs ago on NCL and it was fabulous--had a balcony---but we are excited about traveling on Princess.

My question is in regard to how best to pack-- I feel good about what we need to wear--ie: casual, layering etc but should I pack 1 suitcase for the 6 day excursion piece and then another for the cruise part?

I was thinking it may be easier as the land tour is ultra casual where as our cruise clothes will be more smart casual--we won't be doing the formal attire-- not really into that

I also plan to have a daypack too for our day excursions. Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you all!

Completely depends on your preference. If it's easier to pack two suitcases - one for land tour and one with dressy clothes and ship wear, go for it. The ship's suitcase will be sent to the ship separately and magically appear in your cabin on embarkation day and the land trip suitcase will travel to each lodge and appear magically in your room each time...

Personally, we found it easiest to pack one suitcase with everything, as our suitcases hold a fair amount and we packed the zippered side with the cruise clothes and the other side with the land tour clothes. One suitcase a piece worked fine for us. Our friends - same tour, etc - packed a case for the ship with both if their cruise clothes and a case a piece for the land portion. Worked great for them.

There's no right answer. Depends on how you pack, suitcases, potential luggae fees flying, etc.

Do what works best for you.

You will receive instructions from Princess about suitcases and tags to put on them once you arrive for your land tour. You will be asked to pack one suitcase with the items you will want only when on the ship. They will take that bag from you and you won't see it again until you get in your cabin aboard ship. The suitcase you keep with you on the land tour will be hauled from one lodge to the next by a Princess truck. You can take a carry-on sized bag with you on the motor coach. A small backpack or tote bag is all you will have room for at your seat on the coach or on a train car.

You can find lots of info about touring Alasks on the Cruise Critic forum for Alaska.

You will have a great time on your tour. Be sure to try the caribou sausage as it is very good.

You ahould get info from Princess directing you to pack a "meet me on the ship" bag. You're exactly right. You won't need your dinner clothes and shoes for the cruise while on the land trip. They will take it from you upon first check in wherever your land trip starts and will be in your cabin once you board.

Also, while on the land tour, on the days you will be moving from one lodge to another, you will be required to have your main suitcase(s) outside your door -say by 9 or 10pm - for transport to the next lodge. The luggage travels separately. So make sure you also bring a smaller bag that you'll keep with you for your toiletries, medicine, etc.

We packed separately. One large suitcase for the two of us onboard and a smaller case each for the land portion as well as a very small bag each that stayed with us at all times on the bus, train, etc. It worked out well.

Hopefully you will get to see Denali. We were in a group with some folks who were visiting for the 5th time and this was the only time they ever got to see the mountain without any clouds obscuring it. Our last day there all the clouds went away and we saw the mountain in all its glory. It was awesome. :)