AARP Carnival Gift Cards

helene109

On 1/17/2023 at 11:26 AM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

That should work, but you may wind up with a hold on your debit card for awhile. From the Carnival website (it looks like cruise cash is not listed as a way of the initial funding of an account, but I assume gift cards count as cash):

• Guests must deposit cash (USD currency only) or Traveler's Checks (USD currency only) at Guest Services on the first day of the cruise. The following minimum cash deposits are recommended:
    • 2 - 4 day cruise: $100 USD per person
    • 5 - 8 day cruise: $200 USD per person
    • 9 days or longer: $350 USD per person

Maybe that's why they couldn't see my Cruise Cash from the terminal, but it was there because I used it before putting gift cards on, so who knows. I don't think it puts a hold on the card until that card is used to pay for something, so as long as I have gift cards ahead of it, which I will, I should be good. Even if a hold is placed on my debit, no big deal. I keep good track of spending. Back then, we could never add gift cards using the kiosks, but it sounds like they work throughout the fleet now, so that'll be nice.

On 1/17/2023 at 12:33 PM, NanoGirl21 said:

My 2nd cruise is 19 days away! The first time I did not have any gift cards and just added cash to my Sign and Sail account when we arrivied. At that time I was traveling with a child, and I was responsible for their expenses. This time I am traveling with another adult, and they are to pay for their own additional expenses. I will be the one checking us in online. How do I set things up so their Sign and Sail card is charged to their method of payment (I don't know what it will be) and mine is linked to my gift cards?

During online check-in, you'll have the option to set up everyone's S&S account. Like tw67 said, just make sure you don't link that person's account to your payment method (it'll be an option). You can set up their account as a cash account at first. That'll let you complete online check-in. Then go back to it later and change theirs. You can get together with them and add their credit card, that way they won't have to do it onboard.

1 hour ago, thesmiths said:

I saw this morning that " E-gift cards for all ends in 11 days?

I am not sounding the alarm on this.  I think it is just a marketing ploy.  My thought is that they will still have e-gift cards after 11 days.  

9 hours ago, thesmiths said:

I saw this morning that " E-gift cards for all ends in 11 days?

8 hours ago, tw67 said:

I am not sounding the alarm on this.  I think it is just a marketing ploy.  My thought is that they will still have e-gift cards after 11 days.  

It also says the "ready, set, play games" end in 11 days. The spin game is the only one visible today, which is unusual. What the heck is going on?

There are no sweepstakes or auctions that run beyond February, nor do they have any listed that begin in March. I rarely participate in them, is it normal not to show what's coming the following month?

Edited to add: I sent them an email asking what it means. I'll be sure to post if they respond.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

It also says the "ready, set, play games" end in 11 days. The spin game is the only one visible today, which is unusual. What the heck is going on?

There are no sweepstakes or auctions that run beyond February, nor do they have any listed that begin in March. I rarely participate in them, is it normal not to show what's coming the following month?

Edited to add: I sent them an email asking what it means. I'll be sure to post if they respond.

I noticed that Spin Game was the only one, but figured I would see if a new matching game arrived on Tuesday.  Thanks for looking into it!

12 hours ago, tw67 said:

IDK...they have disappeared before.  I think if someone is approaching final payment (like I am) they probably need to go ahead and buy the GCs.

So it is Tuesday.  The Memory game is back!  The Spin game of last week I noticed was replaced by the annoying scratch off, but today I actually won 250 Allstate Rewards Points on the scratch off!  It has been weeks since I have won!  Of course the Memory game I won 1K points.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tw67 said:

So it is Tuesday.  The Memory game is back!  The Spin game of last week I noticed was replaced by the annoying scratch off, but today I actually won 250 Allstate Rewards Points on the scratch off!  It has been weeks since I have won!  Of course the Memory game I won 1K points.  

Yeah, I noticed more games are back. Still a countdown (6 days left) on the homepage. I never did get a response to my email.

When they simply run out of stock, they just aren't there. I've never seen this countdown before. I guess we'll find out in 6 days.

On the AARP side, I got an email notifying me that my points would expire on 3/1, and since we don't need points for Carnival cards anymore, I entered a few sweepstakes rather than let the points expire.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Yeah, I noticed more games are back. Still a countdown (6 days left) on the homepage. I never did get a response to my email.

When they simply run out of stock, they just aren't there. I've never seen this countdown before. I guess we'll find out in 6 days.

On the AARP side, I got an email notifying me that my points would expire on 3/1, and since we don't need points for Carnival cards anymore, I entered a few sweepstakes rather than let the points expire.

Does AARP require a membership to purchase Carnival gift cards?

5 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

I believe yes for the Carnival Cards.  From my memory, they are labeled as "premium" gift cards.  You don't need their reward points for them, just a paying AARP membership.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

It is a great backup to Allstate which has become quite shaky at having the Carnival cards. I piad 64 dollars for a 5 year membership but have recouped that in way less than one year. They also have good restaurant gift cards at a discount and other things like Home Depot even. 

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I think there was a cryptic countdown a couple years ago also that came and passed with no dire consequences. There are new sweepstakes coming later in the month so I am guessing the site isn't going away, which is a relief. We probably discussed it on this thread but I am not digging through 211 pages 🤣

• Like 1

Not only did I win another 250 points on the scratch off today, but it looks like Pac Man is coming back.  This time it might actually be for points.  The Play Button doesn't seem to be live yet, so you might want to go check it out.  

4 minutes ago, tw67 said:

Not only did I win another 250 points on the scratch off today, but it looks like Pac Man is coming back.  This time it might actually be for points.  The Play Button doesn't seem to be live yet, so you might want to go check it out.  

Damn, should have been practicing these last few months!!

• Haha 2

Pac Man is live, and I won 100 points!

It's cruise themed also... like they know we're the ones going to play it!

Tip: I didn't really try to eat the "ghosts" (you'll see why that's in quotes), so only got about five of them. Maybe that's why only 100 points?  

Edited to add:

You can play for points more than once!  Just played again, won another 100 points.  Score: 3600. I wonder if you can win more than 100 points?

Edited by PrincessArlena'sDad
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Spin game is back (it still hates me)!!   I still see egift cards available to buy, so not sure what the countdown was all about???

Thanks!  I am sure that both Spin and Scratch Off hate me, at least with Spin game I can get it over with pretty quickly.  I hate how you need to keep going into the games again to get to your second chance Scratch off!  

Yesterday when I went up to play (and of course buy my tickets for the Carnival sweepstakes) the only game available to play was Pac man....with getting ready for Superbowl, I didn't have time to play.  I was a little worried!  

• Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 12:49 PM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Yep, members only, but like n6uqqq said, it's not hard to recoup the cost of a membership. They often have deals, especially if you sign up for more than 1 year. I've seen good membership deals on Black Friday, too. We drive to cruise ports so with the discounts AARP gives us on rental cars & hotels, the savings easily pay for the membership. Plus there's a lot more benefits you might like. And we don't have to be 50 yrs. old to join anymore. They only sell e-gift cards for Carnival and they do limit them to 5/month, but each membership comes with a complimentary membership for 1 other person in your household. They can set up their own account and get another 5/month if you need more.