What exactly is My Time Dining?

waterlegs

We were given MTD when we booked. As it is our first ever cruise I am clueless and wondering exactly how MTD differs from the other dining option?

Just show up when you are ready to have dinner and you might wait in line a little bit, but then you will be seated. You are also able to make reservations for different times on different days if you would like, so you don't have to wait in line at all. It's just what it says...MY TIME dining. You eat when you want to eat, not at a specific time each night.

MTD unless you reserve a specific time ahead, you arrive when your ready to eat. You might be at a different table and with different guest each night unless you ask for the same table. If you wish to dine with friends/Family then you would be best to reserve a set time. You can do this ahead of time or after you board and go to the dining room to set your arrangements.

If you eat at the same time nightly, the traditional is probably best for you. The menus and dress code are the same, whether it's MTD or Traditional.

We prefer having tablemates, so we always choose traditional (late, as we eat late at home)....hubby and I eat almost ALL of our meals together at home, so having tablemates is a HUGE BONUS! We enjoy eating with others! In MTD, you will be "hard-pressed" to find someone who wants tablemates.

You can go into your cruise planner on the RCI website and make your dinner reservations for each night. You won't have the same table, unless you ask for it when checking in with the host. Those with reservations get seated before those without.

Or, you can just show up and get a pager like any shore-side restaurant. The wait depends on the time of day of course and can be anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes.

On our Carnival cruise, we liked the waiter we had the first night so much that we asked to be seated in his section every night. It meant a longer wait but that was Ok... We're on vacation!

On our last RCI cruise, we had MTD but had a group of 12 so we got the same table and waiter every night. They just set it up that way. It was awesome.

If you want the same table at the same time every night, switch to fixed dining if it's still available.

If you eat at the same time nightly, the traditional is probably best for you. The menus and dress code are the same, whether it's MTD or Traditional.

We prefer having tablemates, so we always choose traditional (late, as we eat late at home)....hubby and I eat almost ALL of our meals together at home, so having tablemates is a HUGE BONUS! We enjoy eating with others! In MTD, you will be "hard-pressed" to find someone who wants tablemates.

Same here but we usually eat early so have the 5:30 dinner time.

Can't wait as this will be our 1st cruise.

Being your first ever cruise, you should see if you can get on the Traditional Dining list for the experience. It is interesting to dine with the same people, and wait staff each night. We use MTD lately, but did enjoy the Traditional experience. Traditional dining may soon become something from the past.:)

As usual, this poster's comments about MY Time Dining diverge from reality and contain the same canards despite continuous attempts to others to dispel those myths about MTD, but fear not the next time someone asks about MTD she will continue to post the same untruths. First of all you can eat at the same time nightly (or different times if they better fit your daily schedule) in My Time Dining. The difference is that the same time you wish to dine isn't restricted to the two times set for traditional dining. If you wish to dine with others you can easily find others on the cruise who would be pleased to join you. My Time diners are not anti-social. If you happen to be served by a wait staff that you like, you can ask to have the same team and the host or hostess will make an effort to accommodate you. Tables for two are close enough together that you can frequently become acquainted and it is also like having tablemates. We were reluctant to try MTD when it was first introduced but we have become strong advocates because of the advantages it offers and our positive experiences with the way that RCI carries it out.

Give it a try and you might enjoy it.

We love MTD. We have never had to wait for a table but we eat fairly early. We enjoy showing up when we are ready to eat and not at a set time. With traditional early always seemed too early to be ready and hungry and late was way too late for us to eat. Sometimes we are just way too tired from our day ashore and if we have eaten lunch late that day we just go to the WJ for dinner. Having the same table and waiter is not important to us and we do not feel the need to have tablemates. You can request the same waiter/table, make reservations for each night, or to share a table if you want.

Sorry cb, but I don't totally agree. MTD offers all of the benefits of Traditional, plus more. You can eat at the same time and usually get the same wait staff, if you like. But you don't have to. You are seated close enough to people to make friends without feeling like you are forced to make conversation. On every cruise you will see people that just have to complain about the smallest things. If you have Traditional dining and they end up at your table (yes, this has happened to us), you are stuck. If you get a bad wait staff (this has also happened to us), you are stuck. Fortunately, the odds of either of these things happening are slim. One of the biggest advantages of MTD, especially for new cruisers, is that they can choose their dining time from one day to the next.

Oh, I don't agree with the last sentence either. Lots of people enjoy different table mates each night and even tables for 2 or 4 allow plenty of opportunity to chat with those around you.

Please note, there is no right or wrong answer. Someone in favor of Traditional dining have just as valid reasons as those that like MTD.:cool:

We never make reservations and the only ship we waited for a table was on Allure. On Freedom last May we had the same table and waiters every night. As always YMMV.

How long did you generally wait for a table on Allure? How many people were in your party? What time did you go that you had to wait? Thanks.

How long did you generally wait for a table on Allure? How many people were in your party? What time did you go that you had to wait? Thanks.

We had one bad night where it was around 30 minutes other than that it was less than 10 minutes. One night we walked straight in. We wouldn't have waited 30 minutes normally but we were with other family members.

MTD worked well for us on Indy. We're introverts so preferred to have our own table for 2. But of course the tables for two are very close to other tables for 2 so there is still the opportunity to socialize with others if you wish. Last night we had a table next to a family of 4 and enjoyed a nice chat near the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums