Spain Cruise

pso418

This will be our first cruise in Europe. I am reading that I do not require a visa for travel from USA to Spain and cruising in Italy and France. Am I reading this right? Don't want to be one of those people without proper documents. Thans

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

US citizens do not currently need a visa for short term visits to Spain, Italy, or France. Your US passport must be valid for at least three months beyond your intended date of departure. The US Department of State provides country specific information here: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country.html

The OP is evidently traveling from US to Spain before going on to Italy and France. Spain is one of the countries that requires passport to be good for SIX months past the date of travel.

The OP is evidently traveling from US to Spain before going on to Italy and France. Spain is one of the countries that requires passport to be good for SIX months past the date of travel.

The US State Department website and the Embassy of Spain in Washington website both say 3 months.

This will be our first cruise in Europe. I am reading that I do not require a visa for travel from USA to Spain and cruising in Italy and France. Am I reading this right? Don't want to be one of those people without proper documents. Thans

Have a great time -- we were in all three countries in November and really enjoyed them. If you are going to Rome or Barcelona, follow safety tips that will likely be given to you onboard the ship but is also available online. These are the two top cities in the world for pick pockets. If you take precautions, you'll be fine!

Keep your passport in the cabin safe, don't take it with you into ports.. If you really feel you need your passport info just make a copy to keep with you.. happy cruising

What good is your passport sitting in a safe where you don't have access to it? If you miss the ship, you'll need your passport to travel to the next port to catch up with the ship. I would never step on foreign soil with my passport left in a safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Be careful entering Spain first. We entered at Canary Is. and did not get a passport stamp documenting where we entered the Schengen area of countries. When we went to leave at Amsterdam the very officious Dutch officer asked all sorts of questions about where we came in - finally satisfied with our cruise documents and a list of the itinerary showing first stop at Tenerife. He gave us our exit stamp with some "choice" comments about Spaniards (in Dutch which my bit of German skills decoded). :D

What good is your passport sitting in a safe where you don't have access to it? If you miss the ship, you'll need your passport to travel to the next port to catch up with the ship. I would never step on foreign soil with my passport left in a safe.

Carrying your Passport is fine, as long as it never gets lost or stolen :). Passports are a very popular target for professional pickpockets...so take care. And do not even consider going into the water anywhere, and leaving your Passport on a beach. While we do understand your opinion, nearly fifty years of extensive international travel has taught us to keep our Passport in the safest possible location....which is preferably a safe.

Hank

It may not matter what they prefer to do. I'm a US citizen and took a cruise a few years ago that went to Italy, Greece, and Turkey. No visas were required but the cruise ship held our passports at guest services for the duration of the cruise. It's a good idea to take a couple copies of your passport, kept separately (like one in suitcase, and one to carry on you) for reference if the cruise ship keeps your passport or in case it gets stolen.

And what good is it? If you have a passport you can go to a US embassy and have a replacement made. A friend had his stolen in France last year and a replacement passport was simple to get.

Edited by sanger727