Train from SYD into CBD

ML,

There is a convenience shop in the same building as the Wyndham which costs much more than a supermarket but may be convenient to buy milk.. There is a Coles supermarket at the World Square Complex, just a few minutes walk along Goulburn Street where you will be able to buy all your supplies.

Leigh

Hi Leigh

Thanks for this, helpful as always. Could make the milk purchase a bit easier. We are planning on going to Coles for most of our needs, maybe Aldi too.

ML

Ahh, I see. The map i was looking at must have just been a portion. Bad on me. Now i understand the issue. I suppose we could just wait if cars are too full, since we aren't rushing off to work.

Thanks for explaining,

ML

Squeeze onto the train if you can and stand with your bags, most of the people will exit at Mascot, Green square and Central (the 2nd, 3rd and 4th stop) and then Museum is next.:D

Ahh, I see. The map i was looking at must have just been a portion. Bad on me. Now i understand the issue. I suppose we could just wait if cars are too full, since we aren't rushing off to work.

If it does get too full, the next train should be through within 10 minutes.

Squeeze onto the train if you can and stand with your bags, most of the people will exit at Mascot, Green square and Central (the 2nd, 3rd and 4th stop) and then Museum is next.:D

That's our starting plan. It will be around 7--7:30 (0700--0730 in your lingo??), so maybe it won't be too bad (early enough?).

We just need a small space to stand quietly with our bags :D

Thanks

ML

That's our starting plan. It will be around 7--7:30 (0700--0730 in your lingo??), so maybe it won't be too bad (early enough?).

We just need a small space to stand quietly with our bags :D

Thanks

ML

To be fair, there is no early enough in Syd, Peak hour starts on the road arterials about 530am, trains about 6am.

Ultimately go towards the front or end of the train, If its full in the platform level of carriage, (doubt it) wait for the next one, it seems your not in a hurry and are willing to sacrifice 10-15 mins..... It will benefit you.

The key thing is, Enjoy the experiance, you never know when you can see or experiance it again.

Oh and enjoy the cruise and site seeing.....Thats why your coming!

cya

bl262000

Thanks Gut, that was pretty much our plan. Plus, we are looking forward to a trip to Aldi or Coles to buy a few things for breakfast and lunch (we will have a kitchenette). I have to admit, this will be a highlight for me, but I have different tastes than others :)

ML

You can get an Opal card from newsagents as well as railway stations and you can top them up (add credit) at quite a few places.

To be fair, there is no early enough in Syd, Peak hour starts on the road arterials about 530am, trains about 6am.

Ultimately go towards the front or end of the train, If its full in the platform level of carriage, (doubt it) wait for the next one, it seems your not in a hurry and are willing to sacrifice 10-15 mins..... It will benefit you.

The key thing is, Enjoy the experiance, you never know when you can see or experiance it again.

Oh and enjoy the cruise and site seeing.....Thats why your coming!

cya

bl262000

Thanks for the tip, we'll give it a try. We can easily wait 10-15 minutes, and if that doesn't work we will be squeezing on and apologizing to the locals :)

I completely agree--this is going to be a great way to start our time in Sydney. maybe I can get some tips on the footy match on Mar 25 :D

ML

You can get an Opal card from newsagents as well as railway stations and you can top them up (add credit) at quite a few places.

Thanks, yes. I think we will buy ours at the airport station. I am thinking $40 for the 7 days we will be in Sydney--do you think that is too little? I figure we will take 3-4 trips a day, including one day when we will go to the Blue Mountains (but past Katoomba, to the end of the line, which I know will cost more and not on Opal card).

ML

Hi ML,

$40 is a good start for Opal and can be topped up in so many places (not including stations) and if you do run out....just top it up. The card costs nothing and will have all the credit applied avaliable.

Bathurst is the limit of the network Opal is usable for, same as Goulburn to the south. Electric "interurban" trains run to Lithgow a a couple of times a day, Mount Victoria even more (both past Katoomba). Bathurst has one service a day (under Opal).

Just as a note the "end of the line" without Opal technically is Perth from Syd.....but the limit in NSW is Broken Hil......Don't think you meant that :D

You will probably end up gettng free trips by the end of your stay so all good. Some links:

https://www.opal.com.au/en/opal-fares/

And the free "travel caps":

https://www.opal.com.au/en/about-opal/benefits-of-travelling-with-opal-card/

cya

bl262000

Hi ML,

$40 is a good start for Opal and can be topped up in so many places (not including stations) and if you do run out....just top it up. The card costs nothing and will have all the credit applied avaliable.

Bathurst is the limit of the network Opal is usable for, same as Goulburn to the south. Electric "interurban" trains run to Lithgow a a couple of times a day, Mount Victoria even more (both past Katoomba). Bathurst has one service a day (under Opal).

Just as a note the "end of the line" without Opal technically is Perth from Syd.....but the limit in NSW is Broken Hil......Don't think you meant that :D

You will probably end up gettng free trips by the end of your stay so all good. Some links:

https://www.opal.com.au/en/opal-fares/

And the free "travel caps":

https://www.opal.com.au/en/about-opal/benefits-of-travelling-with-opal-card/

cya

bl262000

Yes, I guess I got that wrong--oops! Not what I meant, but you got it. Clearly, I don't know exactly what I mean but I will throw myself on the mercy of the ticket agent and hope they explain our options and help us pick a reasonably priced one. I think Lithgow is furthest, but we may not need to go quite that far. But I have been told the best views are in the last 45 minutes, so maybe we should (and 3 hours each way :eek:)

I don't get the free trips thing but it sounds great--what do I have to do to get this??? Buy lunch for someone (you???), know someone high up in rail system? Get lucky?

ML

Just remember to state which footy, Aussie Rules, not Union, League or Soccer.:p

I was hoping to avoid another discussion about the various games--I think you are tweeking me??! But yes, it will be AFL. I have to say, I am disappointed I can't see rugby union but I did watch the 7-man semi's on TV here yesterday. I am sorry to report that Australia lost...much sadness.

No need for us to repeat that other thread but clever of you to notice :D

ML

I was hoping to avoid another discussion about the various games--I think you are tweeking me??! But yes, it will be AFL. I have to say, I am disappointed I can't see rugby union but I did watch the 7-man semi's on TV here yesterday. I am sorry to report that Australia lost...much sadness.

No need for us to repeat that other thread but clever of you to notice :D

ML

They did better than expected to reach the semi finals, finished fourth in the end.

We are quite looking forward to starting our trip form the aiprort via train.

OK, I am glad you have decided on the train. I actually use it often to & from airport & also the cruise terminal, as I am totally over Sydney traffic, even when I am not the driver!

You seem to be a 'good sport' as we say, & up for a challenge on you visit downunder & choosing the train from the airport looks to be a good start if you want to take a challenge on using the most forms of transport possible on your trip.

Our group (2 couples) did this on our bucketlist trip to Canadian Rockies & B2B2B cruise to Alaska, Hawaii & home to Sydney in 2014.

We used:

- mini bus to airport

- plane to Vancouver & onto Calgary

- self drive car thru the Rockies back to Vancouver

- chairlift - Jasper

- all terrain vehicle on glacier (Rockies)

- trolley bus in Vancouver

- taxi (various)

- amphibious bus (Aquabus) in Seattle & Alaska

- cruiseship (Rhapsody OTS)

- train - Amtrak Vancouver to Seattle

- regular bus - Seattle & several others

- boat - Hawaii (oh & tenders of course)

- submarine - Hawaii

- school bus (American Samoa)

- van - Vila

- HOHO bus - Noumea

Anyway, it was a lot of fun arranging and then doing :) Yes I have time on my hands to relate this today. Where I live, Penrith 50km west of Sydney, the temp reached 46.9 C today, that would be like 116.4F in your terms :eek:

Anyway, enjoy your planning & your trip! Taking the challenge is up to you :)

OK, I am glad you have decided on the train. I actually use it often to & from airport & also the cruise terminal, as I am totally over Sydney traffic, even when I am not the driver!

You seem to be a 'good sport' as we say, & up for a challenge on you visit downunder & choosing the train from the airport looks to be a good start if you want to take a challenge on using the most forms of transport possible on your trip.

Our group (2 couples) did this on our bucketlist trip to Canadian Rockies & B2B2B cruise to Alaska, Hawaii & home to Sydney in 2014.

We used:

- mini bus to airport

- chairlift - Jasper

- taxi (various)

- submarine - Hawaii

- van - Vila

- HOHO bus - Noumea

Anyway, it was a lot of fun arranging and then doing :) Yes I have time on my hands to relate this today. Where I live, Penrith 50km west of Sydney, the temp reached 46.9 C today, that would be like 116.4F in your terms :eek:

It is / was a real stinker today.

I don't get the free trips thing but it sounds great--what do I have to do to get this??? Buy lunch for someone (you???), know someone high up in rail system? Get lucky?

ML

Just that if you spend more than $60 in a M-S week on the card, or $15 in a day, any further trips that day/week are free.

We used:

- mini bus to airport

- chairlift - Jasper

- taxi (various)

- submarine - Hawaii

- van - Vila

- HOHO bus - Noumea

Wow, talk about planes, trains and automobiles :D You definitely did better than we ever have. Good onya!!

I am hoping it will cool down some by the time we get there. I have been checking the weather every few days. 116 is serious heat!

Stay cool

ML

PS: AC everywhere right?? :D

Wow, talk about planes, trains and automobiles :D You definitely did better than we ever have. Good onya!!

I am hoping it will cool down some by the time we get there. I have been checking the weather every few days. 116 is serious heat!

Stay cool

ML

PS: AC everywhere right?? :D

Hotels, trains, shops/malls, buildings, etc, yes, there is AC. Outside, have your sunscreen, hat, and drink bottle with you.

Hotels, trains, shops/malls, buildings, etc, yes, there is AC. Outside, have your sunscreen, hat, and drink bottle with you.

Thanks for confirming. Mes, we will have hats, maybe light long sleeve shirts, lots of sunscreen and water. A lot like being here in the desert southwest of the US--but it's a dry heat ;). But still, HOT!!

ML

ML, we used the hotel which was a a one bedroom apartment. We found it fine for our five days there. It was very convenient to everything we wanted to do. There is a pub on the corner of Wentworth and Elizabeth Streets which served quite good meals. We had dinner there a couple of times which we enjoyed. We met an American family who were staying at the Wyndham and who loved the meals at this pub. You are also within walking distance of China Town and many other restaurants are in the area.

Leigh

Hi Leigh

You posted this awhile back and I meant to ask if you remember the name of the pub? Nel? Surry Hills Hotel? I looked on a map and can't quite figure it out. We had an unfortunate experience with Thai food several years ago and can't stomach it anymore, so Surry Hills may be out!

Thanks

ML

G'day ML,

The train service actually starts just over an hour earlier at a place called Macarthur near Cambeltown. You will be joining it in the last 15 minutes of the service so there will be people on it. The airport stations are just "stops" on a longer journey.

cya

bl262000

I live near a station on the airport line and use this train regularly. We always catch it when we cruise and as a result sit(or stand) in the vestibule area with a two suitcases.

While it will be relatively crowded with commuters from the many earlier stations most of those commuters will have found a seat on the upper or lower sections. The vestibules will have many people who are going to the airport with their baggage.

So there is normally space as there will generally be as many people getting off as getting on. It still can be a little tight but it is certainly doable (but hey we dragged our bags around the Shanghai metro at peak hour) and the advice on going to the end carriage is good. The far end carriage will be better so turn to your right once you hit the platform at the airport.

Just that if you spend more than $60 in a M-S week on the card, or $15 in a day, any further trips that day/week are free.

And a maximum spend of $2.50 on a sunday, no mater how many trips or modes (bus, train, ferry) you make that sunday.

cya

bl262000

I live near a station on the airport line and use this train regularly. We always catch it when we cruise and as a result sit(or stand) in the vestibule area with a two suitcases.

While it will be relatively crowded with commuters from the many earlier stations most of those commuters will have found a seat on the upper or lower sections. The vestibules will have many people who are going to the airport with their baggage.

So there is normally space as there will generally be as many people getting off as getting on. It still can be a little tight but it is certainly doable (but hey we dragged our bags around the Shanghai metro at peak hour) and the advice on going to the end carriage is good. The far end carriage will be better so turn to your right once you hit the platform at the airport.

woodyren

Thanks for this tip, very helpful. We will walk to our right and find the end of a train. Maybe just try and squeeze on as long as it isn't packed.

ML