Train from SYD into CBD

And a maximum spend of $2.50 on a sunday, no mater how many trips or modes (bus, train, ferry) you make that sunday.

cya

bl262000

I saw that when I went to look at a bigger map of the rail system in Sydney. We will be there for 2 Sundays I think, so it could work!

Thanks

ML

mr walker

Thanks for this.

That is the same flight we will be on, DFW--STD, arrive at 6:05 am. What a coincidence. 20 minutes late is nothing and sounds like we can depend on about an hour to get through the airport.

We are quite looking forward to starting our trip form the aiprort via train.

Thanks

ML

Sounds like it is QF8. I've caught that flight a number of times :). Here is a bit of trivia for you -

It used to be the longest flight in the world and was flown by 747s. If the headwinds were particularly strong, sometimes the flight had to be diverted to Noumea or Brisbane for fuel before continuing on to Sydney. I was on one such flight (diverted to Brisbane). Now Qantas uses A380s, so there is no longer that issue. (and the A380 is my favourite plane!!!)

This article is outdated but you will see what I mean :)

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-diverts-dallas-brisbane-sydney-qf8-flights-two-this-week

Sounds like it is QF8. I've caught that flight a number of times :). Here is a bit of trivia for you -

It used to be the longest flight in the world and was flown by 747s. If the headwinds were particularly strong, sometimes the flight had to be diverted to Noumea or Brisbane for fuel before continuing on to Sydney. I was on one such flight (diverted to Brisbane). Now Qantas uses A380s, so there is no longer that issue. (and the A380 is my favourite plane!!!)

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-diverts-dallas-brisbane-sydney-qf8-flights-two-this-week

That happened with us, went to Brisbane before doing the up and down on to Sydney.:D

Wow, did not know this was how it used to be!! I think this is now the 2nd longest flight. A flight from JFK to Dubai or maybe Jo'burg is now the longest. Leave it to us to find such a 'treasure".

We are in PE and I hope that gives us at least some minimal comfort. It is such a long flight, I am planning on dinner, some wine, a movie, then a pill to help me sleep (I can't seem to sleep on these long flights. Go figure...). Even with all of that, there will still be a few hours to kill.

I might get a t-shirt to commemorate the event ("I flew the 2nd longest flight in the world, and boy are my arms tired"). Or something :D

That happened with us, went to Brisbane before doing the up and down on to Sydney.:D

Sorry to hear that but you got to see Brisbane :D

ML

Wow, did not know this was how it used to be!! I think this is now the 2nd longest flight. A flight from JFK to Dubai or maybe Jo'burg is now the longest. Leave it to us to find such a 'treasure".

We are in PE and I hope that gives us at least some minimal comfort. It is such a long flight, I am planning on dinner, some wine, a movie, then a pill to help me sleep (I can't seem to sleep on these long flights. Go figure...). Even with all of that, there will still be a few hours to kill.

I might get a t-shirt to commemorate the event ("I flew the 2nd longest flight in the world, and boy are my arms tired"). Or something :D

ML

No big deal, it was only a delay of around 1 hour to refuel. Didn't even get off the plane.

ML

Sounds like you have a good plan for the flight :) In addition to your measures, I find using earplugs and something to cover my face (either eyemask or blanket) are the best additions to getting some sleep. PE is pretty good on the A380 - small cabin so much quieter - seatguru is your friend for picking seats. You can pre-select your meal too online. :)

Sounds like you have a good plan for the flight :) In addition to your measures, I find using earplugs and something to cover my face (either eyemask or blanket) are the best additions to getting some sleep. PE is pretty good on the A380 - small cabin so much quieter - seatguru is your friend for picking seats. You can pre-select your meal too online. :)

lucy

I added the bolding. Didn't get the bulkhead seats, so all the others are about the same, but we are OK with our seats (2 rows behind bulkhead). I am going to try and pre-select our meals. Is it a week out or closer when you can request meals? I have a note on my calendar to call and ask for meals on Mar 1, we fly Mar 8--is that too soon?

Thank you so much for your help

ML

PS: I have been exploring the map around our hotel and I am very happy to see all the dining, grocery, rail and other options we have. Might be worth having to sleep in the sofa bed at Wyndham!!

The only places on a sunday where you won't get the $2.50 fare is if you get on or off at one of the airport. Please see attachment:

https://www.opal.com.au/en/opal-fares/airport_station_access_fee/

Hi johnboi

Thanks for the link. We won't be using the airport except for the day we arrive and the day we leave, so I think we are safe :)

ML

lucy

I added the bolding. Didn't get the bulkhead seats, so all the others are about the same, but we are OK with our seats (2 rows behind bulkhead). I am going to try and pre-select our meals. Is it a week out or closer when you can request meals? I have a note on my calendar to call and ask for meals on Mar 1, we fly Mar 8--is that too soon?

Thank you so much for your help

ML

PS: I have been exploring the map around our hotel and I am very happy to see all the dining, grocery, rail and other options we have. Might be worth having to sleep in the sofa bed at Wyndham!!

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about not getting the bulkhead seats. The middle ones are great but I didn't like the side aisle bulkhead seat (24j or b) at all on my last flight (London to Sydney) as although they have fabulous leg room because they are an exit row, people kept tripping over me in the dark. I've since heard recommendations that you should wear white socks and use a bag to mark your territory :) Those seats also have ZERO personal storage. I found myself wishing I was seated further back. If the middle bulkhead seats turn out to be vacant (they are often blocked until fairly close to the flight in case there are special needs passengers or people travelling with an infant) move quickly after the seat belt sign is turned off to them. I saw two business people do just that on my flight - I wish I had thought of it :)

I've never preselected a meal but I believe you can do it from 7 days to 12 hours in advance. You get one extra option if you preselect.

Happy Flying :)

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about not getting the bulkhead seats. The middle ones are great but I didn't like the side aisle bulkhead seat (24j or b) at all on my last flight (London to Sydney) as although they have fabulous leg room because they are an exit row, people kept tripping over me in the dark. I've since heard recommendations that you should wear white socks and use a bag to mark your territory :) Those seats also have ZERO personal storage. I found myself wishing I was seated further back. If the middle bulkhead seats turn out to be vacant (they are often blocked until fairly close to the flight in case there are special needs passengers or people travelling with an infant) move quickly after the seat belt sign is turned off to them. I saw two business people do just that on my flight - I wish I had thought of it :)

I've never preselected a meal but I believe you can do it from 7 days to 12 hours in advance. You get one extra option if you preselect.

Happy Flying :)

lucy

Thanks for the additional info. We are in the 2 seat sides on both flights, and I am hoping that will work even if the person in front reclines their seat all the way. DH will take the window seat since he can sleep thru anything!! It looks like the whole PE section is sold out, so no moving, unless someone gets upgraded to business class.Appreciate the note about meal selection too.

I guess we are mostly done planning, now we wait. 3 weeks from Wednesday the adventure begins...

ML

lucy

Thanks for the additional info. We are in the 2 seat sides on both flights, and I am hoping that will work even if the person in front reclines their seat all the way. DH will take the window seat since he can sleep thru anything!! It looks like the whole PE section is sold out, so no moving, unless someone gets upgraded to business class.Appreciate the note about meal selection too.

I guess we are mostly done planning, now we wait. 3 weeks from Wednesday the adventure begins...

ML

Happy Travels! The window seats also have a great storage bin beside them which gives extra 'sideways' space - very convenient. Can you tell I research these long trips carefully :D:D:D ?

Happy Travels! The window seats also have a great storage bin beside them which gives extra 'sideways' space - very convenient. Can you tell I research these long trips carefully :D:D:D ?

LOL!! I do a fair bit of research but I have to admit I don't do as much about the aircraft. You definitely are more careful than me.

Thanks for sharing your research. If you are in Sydney while we are there, we will buy you a drink (seriously!).

ML

PS; We'll be in town Mar 10-12, Mar 25-28, and Apr 10-12!!

LOL!! I do a fair bit of research but I have to admit I don't do as much about the aircraft. You definitely are more careful than me.

Thanks for sharing your research. If you are in Sydney while we are there, we will buy you a drink (seriously!).

ML

PS; We'll be in town Mar 10-12, Mar 25-28, and Apr 10-12!!

No problems. I think you are going to have a fabulous time! Sadly we won't be in Sydney on those dates. Perhaps we will meet another time :)

No problems. I think you are going to have a fabulous time! Sadly we won't be in Sydney on those dates. Perhaps we will meet another time :)

Thanks for the good thoughts, sorry to miss you but thanks for your info (and all the others here as well, everyone has been generous with their knowledge).

If you are ever in Albuquerque, NM, USA, post and we can meet up :-)

ML

PS: Same for any of you very helpful posters. You know where to find me!

PPS: I am about to start one last thread--about heat/temps in Sydney :D

Thanks for the good thoughts, sorry to miss you but thanks for your info (and all the others here as well, everyone has been generous with their knowledge).

ML

Hot.

any relief in sight???

It is hard to tell with any certainty, I've just posted on your other thread, remember you are here in Autumn (Fall). So it should be cooling off a bit. This has also been a particularly hot few weeks, with records set.

ML

Cheers, May need to come and see the balloon festival in the future.

It is generally warm days and a light jacket for the evening for March and April..:D

It is hard to tell with any certainty, I've just posted on your other thread, remember you are here in Autumn (Fall). So it should be cooling off a bit. This has also been a particularly hot few weeks, with records set.

saw your other post, thanks. I get the uncertainty, but you are closer to the action than we are and I thought local weather would be more useful than what I read online. I can't find a good online temp predictor (altho' Mic provided an good site)

I would be quite happy to not have records being set...:-)

ML

Enjoy your stay in our great city. I work in rail and am (when not cruising) often wandering around the inner city tracks keeping an eye on them. If you want any quick info on Sydney you can always drop me an email at woody3155atgmaildotcom

If you have an opal card I suggest a day train trip down to the Sth Coast. You can get of at a number of beaches and smaller towns and end up at Kiama for either lunch or dinner. The train travels through the Royal National Park and along the coast at various locations.

It is a relatively short (10 minute) walk from Austinmer, Thirroul, Bulli, Woonona, Kiama stations to the beach. If there is swell the blowhole at Kiama is great to see.