Wine purchase

smurf1635

We are flying to San Juan the day of, cruising Celebrity. I'm hoping that we can drop luggage at the pier and venture off to purchase wine before boarding. Is this possible?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Yes

If you are boarding in the old town, then a large CVS Is a short walk away.

So is CVS the place to buy good wine? It would not be the choice here but maybe in San Juan? If not, Is there a recommendation for places in San Juan that sells good quality wines? Thanks!

Sorry, one was trying to assist from the perspective of convenience. However, if seeking something one would appreciate when drinking, then consider http://aficionadosinc.com/index.html

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add to this, we ended up buying two bottles of wine at the CVS just for the convenience and because we just didn't see anywhere better close by to the La Concha Hotel. I would not recommend it for the connoisseur or even the moderate wine enthusiast as the selection is limited and there are zero premium options. ("Best" bottle in store was a Decoy Cab for 30 bucks with nearly all bottles < 20 bucks)

If you typically buy 10-15 dollar bottles at the grocery store you'll do just fine though, and it sure beat taking nothing onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... I would not recommend it for the connoisseur or even the moderate wine enthusiast as the selection is limited and there are zero premium options...

Shep - would you happen to have noticed what sort of rum selection they had? I'm interested in picking up a few special bottles to bring home. Thanks!

Bechi

We are flying to San Juan the day of, cruising Celebrity. I'm hoping that we can drop luggage at the pier and venture off to purchase wine before boarding. Is this possible?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

In addition to the above suggestions....Since you are going to the pier first to drop off your luggage you might want to also check out the store in the Pan American terminal first.

• 1 month later...
Is there items you can't bring on the ship other than fruits and stuff. I didn't know that you can bring outside wine and alcohol on to the ship.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Forums mobile app

Depends on your cruise line. On Carnival you can bring one bottle per adult over 21, during embarkation. If you purchase alcohol, they will confiscate it until either the last night, or the morning of disembarkation, depending on the ship.

Most lines have a similar alcohol limit as cruisemom67 just posted......

One cruiseline that allows unlimited wine, sodas, alcohol brought on board, as well as no corkage fee, is Viking. That is a terrific advantage.....

So checking with individual lines is the best source....

I had asked earlier about rum, so thought I would follow up. The duty-free selection in the cruise pier itself had some very nice choices and better pricing than I was able to find in my carousing ashore, including aforementioned CVS.

If I remember correctly, I picked up a bottle of Don Q Gran Anejo, Bacardi Resera Limitada, and Ron Barrelito 3*. I'm really a scotch drinker, so I don't know how readily available they are here in the NY metro area, but I just wanted a few bottles to nip at and reminisce with when back at home. So far, the best rum I've found is a Ron Zacapa Reserva Limitada I picked up in Guatemala on an earlier cruise. Should have bought more than the one bottle of that!

In the past, I have bought wine at Walgreens before (think Barefoot brand). If you have room in your luggage, I would recommend packing your wine in there with bubblewrap/vacuum packed LOL if you want a high quality wine from home. I have found that is easier sometimes than wine-hunting on embarkation day. Depending on your pier, you may not be within walking distance to stores.

I am definitely packing a couple special bottles that will be vacuumed secured.....if I find any good wine great, if not I will have two special dates covered. On return, I do want to pick up some good rum that we can't find in the States.

We will have a couple days there prior tho, and I will check out the wine shop that Port Royal so kindly provided the name of

• 2 weeks later...
Most lines have a similar alcohol limit as cruisemom67 just posted......

One cruiseline that allows unlimited wine, sodas, alcohol brought on board, as well as no corkage fee, is Viking. That is a terrific advantage.....

So checking with individual lines is the best source....

Do you by any chance know where Viking docks in San Juan? We are sailing on the Viking Sea in March of 2018. I was there on the Carnival Legend in 2006 and there was a decent duty free shop in the terminal building. But I don't know if that's where Viking ships dock.

My husband will be wanting a bottle of cognac and I was looking to get some champagne or prosecco for the cruise.

We are flying in the day before we can get on the ship and then the ship is in port for another night, so we won't be rushed. We will probably be staying at El Convento for that first night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Viking has been docking at the Old Town pier location....thanks for the tip. We are flying in early and staying over as well - which will give us time to grab some wine pre-cruise, and buy some good rum to bring home post cruise! 👍 Staying at Sheraton Old San Juan for convenience. Hotels are high priced in SJ....

Viking has been docking at the Old Town pier location....thanks for the tip. We are flying in early and staying over as well - which will give us time to grab some wine pre-cruise, and buy some good rum to bring home post cruise! Staying at Sheraton Old San Juan for convenience. Hotels are high priced in SJ....

They deliver

http://aficionadosinc.com/services.html