reuben sandwiches

One sandwich that was good at MDR lunch was the Muffuletta Sandwich. They used the correct bread and a really good olive relish. I suggest trying it. :)

We're always looking for good suggestions for lunch in the MDR. Reubens are so tricky to make well I think we'll pass on them until we get home. The Muffuletta Sandwich sounds good though. We don't get them here in PA. We do love to get a good Cuban sandwich when we are in Florida. The best ones have been on the waterfront in Miami.

Here's to sailing and new adventures.

pia1913-Pastrami sounds just as good!! Love that I'm not the only Reuben fan here. Hard to believe, but the best Reuben I ever got was in Libby, Montana, at the White Knight Pub. :)

My best was at the Chicago Deli, across from the Cleveland Clinic, in Cleveland, Ohio of course. Unfortunately they're gone now since the Clinic expanded and bought the property for more clinics or parking. After that I like Zingermans Deli in Ann Arbor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They had them in the buffet one day on the Pacific. There wasn't any thousand island unfortunately, but it still tasted good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you mean there wasn't any thousand island available on the ship? I can say NCL seems to always have thousand island dressing available.

One real bummer about Princess is the lack of decent, made to order sandwiches, in the Lido...at lunch. We have had the Reuben in the MDR (rarely offered) and it was a Reuben in name only. Mine was cold, very little meat, not much sauerkraut, and no dressing. Any deli offering such a sandwich would be out of business in days. Hank

Sorry to read this report from Hank. Getting ready in late February, we are doing our first cruise with Princess. We will be on a 15-day Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco sailing that goes through the Panama Canal and will give us our first visits in Colombia, Central American and Mexico. Will check out what they have offer and the quality of the corned beef. Yes, good quality is important for this type of sandwich.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 169,119 views for this posting.

Do you mean there wasn't any thousand island available on the ship? I can say NCL seems to always have thousand island dressing available.

The ship may have had Thousand Island dressing onboard at some point. I noted there wasn't any sauce on the sandwich, and I'm pretty sure I checked the salad dressings before just grabbing some spicy mustard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On a 2 week on Crown my wife had 2 at Horizon and said both were high quality, grilled and hot with TIDres. She's New York Italian but knows about sandwiches, even Lithuanian Reubens.

Cracker barrel uses fake smoke in their sausage. Real high quality there and they don't know how to make fried grits, real dumb of them. All you do is put grits on the griddle with butter and serve them with Real Maple Syrup.

Under the sod and under the trees, Lies the body of Jonathan Pease. He is not here, there's only the pod; Pease shelled out and went to God.

~Massachusetts Tombstone

Sorry to read this report from Hank. Getting ready in late February, we are doing our first cruise with Princess. We will be on a 15-day Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco sailing that goes through the Panama Canal and will give us our first visits in Colombia, Central American and Mexico. Will check out what they have offer and the quality of the corned beef. Yes, good quality is important for this type of sandwich.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 169,119 views for this posting.

Terry, There is much to like about Princess....but corned beef is not one those things. We suggest forgoing the sandwich in favor of Princess Pizza (the best at sea).

Hank

Terry, There is much to like about Princess....but corned beef is not one those things. We suggest forgoing the sandwich in favor of Princess Pizza (the best at sea). Hank

Appreciate this great tip from the super experienced Hank. Any other wonderful tips or secrets for doing our first sailing with Princess? Great favorites for main dishes or desserts in their main dining room? Special/hidden locations on their ships? We will be on the Island Princess on Feb. 28. 4 pm sail-away from Fort Lauderdale!!

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 47,325 views for these postings.

Appreciate this great tip from the super experienced Hank. Any other wonderful tips or secrets for doing our first sailing with Princess? Great favorites for main dishes or desserts in their main dining room? Special/hidden locations on their ships? We will be on the Island Princess on Feb. 28. 4 pm sail-away from Fort Lauderdale!!

I was just on Regal Princess for New Years. Some tips: Any time a souffle dessert is offered, take it. Princess does these the best of any ship I've been on. Also try the special "Norman Love" desserts.

We didn't find any of the MDR entrees to be very memorable.

For this discussion in general: On our cruise they offered, on various days, a Reuben, a muffeletta, and a Cuban at the International Cafe. (Or maybe the Reuben was at the Horizon Court....) The muffeletta was the best of the lot.

I was just on Regal Princess for New Years. Some tips: Any time a souffle dessert is offered, take it. Princess does these the best of any ship I've been on. Also try the special "Norman Love" desserts. We didn't find any of the MDR entrees to be very memorable. On our cruise they offered, on various days, a Reuben, a muffeletta, and a Cuban at the International Cafe. (Or maybe the Reuben was at the Horizon Court....) The muffeletta was the best of the lot.

Appreciate these very helpful tips and suggestions from the expert cruisemom42. Sounds very good!! Just three weeks till we start our Panama Canal adventure.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 220,854 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

One sandwich that was good at MDR lunch was the Muffuletta Sandwich. They used the correct bread and a really good olive relish. I suggest trying it. :)

Whoo-hoo ! This Louisiana girl is hoping to have a muffuletta on the Star.

One of my favorites. Although, it can be high in sodium from the meats to make the sandwich. :D

Sandra