Anthem of the Seas My 4K Video, Sail Date Jan 2017, Questions?

JoshuaA

We had a blast, just got back last week and compiled this vid on my iPhone.

Any questions about the ship/ports, I'll try to answer, will be active here for about a week or two.

Cheers!

[YOUTUBE]vP8nfQqB9HQ[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by LauraS

We escape the winter for better weather so my family is beach centric and cruise herds don't bother us. We did not rent chairs/umbrellas at most places as we didn't need them (lots of sunscreen, hats, enjoyed the sun). Go to the Ports of Call subforum here to see alternatives, different types of excursions, quieter beaches, etc. There are no official ferry tenders on this trip as the ship docks next to land at all six places.

PORTS VISITED:

Puerto Rico, San Juan: Late port, 3pm arrival, I took us on a walking tour, same places as the official excursion and also blogged/recommended by a historian, about 2h, the furthest spot was the fort, Castillo San de Felipe ending up back downtown. There's a US chain store literally across the street from the port entry to buy anything you need and alcohol.

St. Maarten: Maho beach, 30+min away, requires a taxi (minivan) or walk about 10min to Back St and take the same taxi with a plate that says "bus" for $3/p. The famous airport beach where planes land right over you, ate at the Sunset Grill, a bit pricier for what it is due to location. The strip is narrow, busy touristy area, the sand is medium dark soft, water is clear. There are better beaches to visit but we wanted to experience the planes. Next time will go somewhere else as been there, done that. If you take the taxi, you can ask the same driver to pick you up at a specific time, this is the same at the other ports.

Antigua: 5min taxi to Dickenson Beach, walked down the strip to the pier where there were no crowds, ate lunch at Tony's which is a beach shack restaurant, drinks are cheap. Beach is a little grittier than Maho, still nice. Water is a bit murky. I've heard there are better beaches with crystal clear water, like Darkwood or quieter places like Jacqui O where you need to make reservations online, longer taxi rides. We picked this place as there is no water drop off for small kids but I forgot how good my girls are as swimmers, in retrospect, would go elsewhere.

Martinique, Fort-de-France: downtown is run down but we still walked a bit of it to see it, after the beach. The barn market is at the port. When you exit the port, turn right and take the ferry to Anse Mitan, $7/p for both ways. There is a restaurant there you can eat with facilities. A spot beside it where you can rent kayaks, SUPs etc. Beach is light brown, soft, water is clear with small wildlife like fish and tiny crabs. Ferry is every hour so get back in time.

Barbados: Boatyard Beach Club, 10min taxi ride, our favourite beach for it's white powder sand and crystal clear water. $20 admission includes chair/umbrella, one drink, and short boat ride to a 1/2h turtle excursion. Usual crowd herds, decent bar food at Boatyard restaurant.

St.Kitts, 20min to Carambola Beach Club, make reservations online to secure your chair/umbrella, there is still a cruise herd skirmish so I don't know how long they'll hold your spot. Nice resort style restaurant and I really liked the Jerk Conch. Sand is medium brown, water is somewhat clear and on the far right side, you can jump off the rocks and do a bit of snorkeling (or swim there from shore).

Enjoy!

Which beaches did you go to in Barbados and Antigua? When you went to Anse Mitan in Martinique were there chair rentals and restrooms available?
Edited by JoshuaA

What model of 4K video camera did you use?

I am a wedding photographer in my spare time. I just used my iPhone 7 Plus 99% and a gimbal, kept my photo/videography to a minimum, capturing key clips and enjoying the rest of the time in the moment with my family.

It was a 7h drive from where we live in Canada to Cape Liberty so when it was my wife's turn to drive during part of it, I edited the clips in iMovie right on my phone. I added some pictures later I took with my Canon 5DIV.

Edited by JoshuaA

Great time on this cruise, nice and calm seas. I was with you during I-fly and really enjoyed watching your family have such a good time even after your daughter got lost. I hope she had fun getting spun with the instructor.

iFly was AWESOME, wish it was longer than 1-minute, my daughter loved the extra lift and spins! I noticed the staff do that for the little ones and not sure they read these boards but it's really an incredible memorable extra, thanks instructor Jason!

Really enjoyed seeing your experiences and also this beautiful ship. I am thinking of booking this for the latter part of 2019 as I already have 3 booked before then. Your family looked like they were having so much fun.

wth, do you have shares in RCI? just kidding, do it! We're converted RCI'ers now (formerly DCL). The Anthem is wonderful and we can't go back to 7N vacations, 12N was perfect.

Great video! A Gimbal huh? Well I've learned something new today. After watching some YouTube reviews of them (and comparing them to steady cams), I'm off to Amazon to make a new $600 purchase for my DSLR [emoji15]. Thanks [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Great video! A Gimbal huh? Well I've learned something new today. After watching some YouTube reviews of them (and comparing them to steady cams), I'm off to Amazon to make a new $600 purchase for my DSLR [emoji15]. Thanks [emoji6]

If you are using a DSLR, I recommend a Zhiyun Crane, what I use for weddings and real estate tours. Also watch a crash course on youtube and practice basic videography movements. It might look funny to others walking around like a ninja or running in circles, but the clips as you can see turn out pretty good.

Honestly, it was so much easier and convenient using my phone that does 4K. I barely brought out my 5DIV except to do a few shots and family portraits.

The North Star at sunset, a jewel capsule that takes you 300ft above sea level:

31793608214_0fd1784f25_b.jpg

• Administrators
We had a blast, just got back last week and compiled this vid on my iPhone.

Any questions about the ship/ports, I'll try to answer, will be active here for about a week or two.

Cheers!

Nice! Thanks for sharing this video with everyone. Take a look; we're featuring your video on our Community Homepage!

Laura

If you are using a DSLR, I recommend a Zhiyun Crane, what I use for weddings and real estate tours. Also watch a crash course on youtube and practice basic videography movements. It might look funny to others walking around like a ninja or running in circles, but the clips as you can see turn out pretty good.

Honestly, it was so much easier and convenient using my phone that does 4K. I barely brought out my 5DIV except to do a few shots and family portraits.

The North Star at sunset, a jewel capsule that takes you 300ft above sea level:

31793608214_0fd1784f25_b.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look at YouTube for ninja filming tips this evening. I still use an old version of the iPhone but maybe it's worth an upgrade. I do have a GoPro for video also, I think that can be connected to the Zhiyun as well.