Which cruise to book?

BlackJack2

We are trying to decide between two Northern Europe Cruises – The 14 Day Voyage of the Midnight Sun on the Koningsdam or The 14 Day North Cape Explorer on the Prinsendam. Both cruises are the same price and both have the same amount of tender ports and sea days. We have never been on either of these two ships and we have never been in this area for cruising. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated in helping us make our decision.

Of the HAL ships that you have been on, did you prefer the newer, larger ones (e.g. Nieuw A) or the smaller older ones (Maasdam, Ryndam)? Do you like trying new venues (Grand Dutch Cafe, Sel de Mer) or are you happy with what you've experienced before? Do you like modern (lots of chrome) and modern art or the classic brass, antiques, and ship paintings? The P'dam has a shorter life expectancy as a HAL ship, so that might favor taking her while you can.

Edited by jtl513

We are trying to decide between two Northern Europe Cruises – The 14 Day Voyage of the Midnight Sun on the Koningsdam or The 14 Day North Cape Explorer on the Prinsendam. Both cruises are the same price and both have the same amount of tender ports and sea days. We have never been on either of these two ships and we have never been in this area for cruising. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated in helping us make our decision.

Flip a coin. Book the winner this year and the loser next year.

Well, if it were me, I'd do the Prinsendam. I like the size of the ship, smaller passenger load, etc.

But, JTL asked good questions. Does one style of ship appeal to you more than the other? These two ships are opposite ends of the spectrum - Koningsdam being the newest and Prinsendam being the oldest.

Koningsdam will still be all shiny and bright with lots of different venues for food, etc. Prinsendam is an elegant old lady with lots of wood and simpler venues and fewer choices.

So, if neither itinerary calls out to you more than the other, choose based on the ship and what your tastes lean to ;)

If I were you, I would go on the Prinsendam as you may not be happy with a large ship.
OP has been on the Nieuw Amsterdam (2100 pax), the Crown Princess (3080 pax) and the Rhapsody of the Seas (2435 pax). S/he might not be happy on a ship as small as the Prinsendam.

Hey Everyone – Thanks for all your responses and advice. Yes, we prefer the R class ships. I also liked the idea of overnighting in Copenhagen. Both ships have basically the same itinerary. The difference is the Koningsdam is doing one more day of scenic cruising and the ports of Flam & Eidfjord, Norway and the Prinsendam is doing the overnight in Copenhagen and the ports of Helsingor & Skagen, Denmark.

We sail, next week, on the Volendam, and would prefer to book this cruise while onboard – so, we will see what cabins are still available on both ships. We are leaning towards the Prinsendam, but she is much smaller and may not have the cabin selection.

Once again – thanks for all the advice!

Hey Everyone – Thanks for all your responses and advice. Yes, we prefer the R class ships. I also liked the idea of overnighting in Copenhagen. Both ships have basically the same itinerary. The difference is the Koningsdam is doing one more day of scenic cruising and the ports of Flam & Eidfjord, Norway and the Prinsendam is doing the overnight in Copenhagen and the ports of Helsingor & Skagen, Denmark.

We sail, next week, on the Volendam, and would prefer to book this cruise while onboard – so, we will see what cabins are still available on both ships. We are leaning towards the Prinsendam, but she is much smaller and may not have the cabin selection.

Once again – thanks for all the advice!

If it's in any way a factor, keep in mind that money will likely go further on Koningsdam. Prinsendam is smaller and prices for various categories tend to be higher than other ships. You may be able to "get more room for your money" on Koningsdam.

Both?!?

For small ports, you would be going in with around a third of the passengers on the Prinsendam. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Koningsdam has excellent food choices. I prefer the feel of the Prinsendam, but the Koningsdam is lovely. For fjords, you'll have better outdoor views on the P.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums