Wooden Ship Cruise?

pullen0

Where could I take a cruise on an old school wooden sailing ship? Preferably one where you can help hoist sails, etc. I'd want to do at least 1 night, maybe a few depending on price. I don't want a 2 hour tourist pirate cruise but something like a pirate ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't know the price and can't remember the company name but there is one that goes down through the Drake Passage to Antarctica. It leaves out of Ushuaia -- you work it as much as you want. It isn't luxury but looked like a lot of fun. We were on an small expedition ship (less than 100 passengers) in that area a couple years ago and had the opportunity to see and learn about it.

Sorry I don't have more info but google is your friend and hopefully this will give you a start.

Where could I take a cruise on an old school wooden sailing ship? Preferably one where you can help hoist sails, etc. I'd want to do at least 1 night, maybe a few depending on price. I don't want a 2 hour tourist pirate cruise but something like a pirate ship.

http://www.sailingshipadventures.com/

I have done a cruise on the Lewis R French - https://schoonerfrench.com/

Is this what you want -

"The French is still operated much how she would have been during the age of sail. She has no inboard engine, relying on 3,000 square feet of sail to propel her. She has four lower sails and two topsails. If the wind dies, a push from our yawlboat "Greyhound" will help her along. All the sails are still raised and trimmed by hand, and the anchor is manually raised each morning using our windlass. There are no engines on deck or below to spoil the serenity. The French is 101 feet overall, 65 feet on deck, with 19 feet of beam. She draws 7.5 feet with a full keel. A proven vessel in all conditions, she is a nifty and quick sailor, having won the Great Schooner Race many times. The French has also participated in recent Tall Ships gatherings in Boston."

DON

I have done a cruise on the Lewis R French - https://schoonerfrench.com/

Is this what you want -

"The French is still operated much how she would have been during the age of sail. She has no inboard engine, relying on 3,000 square feet of sail to propel her. She has four lower sails and two topsails. If the wind dies, a push from our yawlboat "Greyhound" will help her along. All the sails are still raised and trimmed by hand, and the anchor is manually raised each morning using our windlass. There are no engines on deck or below to spoil the serenity. The French is 101 feet overall, 65 feet on deck, with 19 feet of beam. She draws 7.5 feet with a full keel. A proven vessel in all conditions, she is a nifty and quick sailor, having won the Great Schooner Race many times. The French has also participated in recent Tall Ships gatherings in Boston."

DON

That sounds great. I'll look into it. Thanks!

As chengkp75 posted, check out Star Clippers.

True tall ships. squared rigged like the "pirate ships" you are after.

Wooden decks, ropes, ropes, and more ropes. Sailors (aided by winches ) hoist the sails and pax can join in. They pride themselves sailing as much as possible and motoring as little as possible.

Love standing out on deck, wind blowing, sails full, the sound of the sea ...

http://www.starclippers.com/

Edited by YoHoHo

I hope you ha ve had the chanc e to tour the USS Constitution(Old Ironsides). Ameica's oldest war vessel. She is curently undergoing refit but tours are still possible. For someone with an interest in vesailing vessels., she is magnificent.

Edited by sail7seas

I hope you ha ve had the chanc e to tour the USS Constitution(Old Ironsides). Ameica's oldest war vessel. She is curently undergoing refit but tours are still possible.

We saw it Summer 2015 but it was in dry dock. We did engrave our names on the copper they're reskinning the hull with though.

Happy you had the chance to see her. I was lucky to be present when, during our bi-centennial, she came, under her own sails from Boston to Marblehedhed harbor. Some argue Marblehead, MA is bierthplace of the U.S.Navy.... others argue it is Beverly, MA which is only about 30minunuittes (by car away) When Old Ironsides came intto view and we could see her siailss, what a sight that was. Beautiful beyond words.

As chengkp75 posted, check out Star Clippers.

True tall ships. squared rigged like the "pirate ships" you are after.

Wooden decks, ropes, ropes, and more ropes. Sailors (aided by winches ) hoist the sails and pax can join in. They pride themselves sailing as much as possible and motoring as little as possible.

Love standing out on deck, wind blowing, sails full, the sound of the sea ...

http://www.starclippers.com/

Good post, about beautiful ships - but their steel hulls make it slightly off topic - which was wooden ships.

Yes. Hearing the creaking of the wood is one of the musts.

Thanks everyone for the input so far. From my research so far, some of these cruises are well inline with the cost of a traditional cruise. I figured they'd be extremely expensive.