RCL 7 day sailings from Galveston - 2018?

cpayne

The RCL site shows 7 day sailings from Galveston in 2018. However, I just spoke with someone who recently sailed RCL Oasis and was told there will be no 7 day RCL sailings from Galveston in 2018. Has anyone else heard this rumor and/or truth?

The RCL site shows 7 day sailings from Galveston in 2018. However, I just spoke with someone who recently sailed RCL Oasis and was told there will be no 7 day RCL sailings from Galveston in 2018. Has anyone else heard this rumor and/or truth?

I know they are adding a ship for shorter cruises , be surprised if they stop the 7 day cruises

I dont think rccl will give that market to carnival. If you look at the website there are no cruises leaving from port canaveral, port everglades, or the port of miami after April. Maybe it's just the schedule isnt out yet

Vision will be doing 4 and 5 night sailings from Nov 2017 until April 2018. 7 night cruises will continue in Galveston. Word on Liberty is that she will be going to Bayonne, NJ and another ship will replace her. Hoping that it will be one of the Quantum class ships.

We will know when they release 2018-2019 deployment schedules...

Week of March 6, 2017:

Europe (Phase I), Year-Round Caribbean & Bahamas

Week of March 13, 2017:

Alaska & Cruisetours

Week of March 20, 2017:*

Europe (Phase II)

Week of March 27, 2017:

Northeast & Seasonal Caribbean

Week of April 3, 2017:

Australia & Singapore

Week of April 24, 2017:

China

We just complete a b2b on Liberty, and have booked b2b for next year on the same ship/same intinerary while on board. Nothing was said there wouldn't be sailing out of Galveston when we booked. So sure hope we have our plans lined up for next year already.

RCI has been sailing 7 night cruises from Galveston for many years. I sincerely doubt this will not continue. Those cruises sail full. Now, I would hate to lose LB with her beautiful suite lounge, but would I welcome an Oasis or Quantum class; you bet!

Royal entered into a 5 year agreement in 2014 with the Port of Galveston and must keep a larger ship there. They did not do $2 million in renovations to have anything smaller than a Freedom class. I don't recall where I read it, but there is an issue with the channel depth or some other reason we will not see an Oasis class anytime soon.

I don't see an Oasis in Galveston. The port can't handle it nor is it convenient for people to fly to.

I do see Liberty staying for the long term however, with Vision supplementing her at winter.

Galveston is no further from a major airport than Southampton or Harwich or Rome etc.

Suspect there might be water depth issues. What someone needs to do is show some imagination and bring back some longer itineraries like before.

Galveston is no further from a major airport than Southampton or Harwich or Rome etc. ...

Very close to the same distance as Port Canaveral (Oasis' home port) is to Orlando airport. But no where near as convenient for the fly-in cruiser as Port Canaveral.

Galveston is no further from a major airport than Southampton or Harwich or Rome etc.

Suspect there might be water depth issues. What someone needs to do is show some imagination and bring back some longer itineraries like before.

It is my dream to see an Oasis in Southampton, but even there it is a while away. Plus, I doubt they would fill one year round from Texas, while in Southampton it would only be part of the year.

RCI no longer sails from Harwich.

The ships offered from Civitavecchia are rubbish anyway.

The transport is an issue. At least with Heathrow/Southampton and Fiumicino/Rome, there are train and bus services. Not so much in Galveston, or places to stay pre-cruise.

It is my dream to see an Oasis in Southampton, but even there it is a while away. Plus, I doubt they would fill one year round from Texas, while in Southampton it would only be part of the year.

RCI no longer sails from Harwich.

The ships offered from Civitavecchia are rubbish anyway.

The transport is an issue. At least with Heathrow/Southampton and Fiumicino/Rome, there are train and bus services. Not so much in Galveston, or places to stay pre-cruise.

Maybe I misunderstood your comment, but there are PLENTY of places to stay pre cruise in Galveston. Do NOT want to be one of the many "snarky" cruisers on facebook so I apologize if I come across that way! :)

It's true that there isn't train or bus service, but that's equally true of a number of ports in FLA and other places. The Houston/Galveston area is a car/shuttle dependant area, but it's not an issue as long as you know what to expect. My point is, it's not really an issue with regard to RCCL's ability to fill up their ships.

They pretty much always sell out year round. Also, there are plenty of hotels. Not sure why you say there aren't places to stay pre-cruise.

That said, I expect that if Liberty heads elsewhere, another Freedom class will replace it, or even possibly a Quantum class, but the port, as I understand it, isn't deep enough for an Oasis class, and the port facility is not big enough.

Filling the ship might be an issue tho' the demand is apparently quite high. Carnival has three ships there year round and will move their latest and greatest, Vista, there full time.

You've got a point regarding rail but don't forget many foreigners find public transport intimidating and suburban rail and buses are often not baggage friendly.

As for hotels, there's lots in Galveston not to forget up and down I45 and even Houston. http://www.galveston.com

It's true that there isn't train or bus service, but that's equally true of a number of ports in FLA and other places....

Florida cruiseports have many rental car agencies that allow one-way car rentals, which are open on the weekends, and have shuttles to the cruise terminals. The lack of this capability is a major problem for the Galveston fly-in cruiser. There are also hotels on Galveston island that require two-day minimum stays on the weekend.

Prices for many of these hotels have also doubled in last few years we had booked Hilton for 120 a night a couple of times now its over 250 and requires 2 night stay, San Luis we booked at 200 now is over 300 and requires 2 night stay, we will try Moody Gardens next cruise, but in general prefer leaving from Florida or NY.

Prices for many of these hotels have also doubled in last few years we had booked Hilton for 120 a night a couple of times now its over 250 and requires 2 night stay, San Luis we booked at 200 now is over 300 and requires 2 night stay, we will try Moody Gardens next cruise, but in general prefer leaving from Florida or NY.

If you've booked the San Luis for less than $200 within the last 5 or so years, you got a bargain. It's not exactly a Motel 6.