What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

Watch out - it is nearly impossible to go back and cruise with the masses after being in the haven!! ;)

We had an owner's suite for a two week Med cruise years ago. I have had no problem sailing in mini-suites and balconies since. Just because I eat cake once in a while doesn't mean I have to eat it all the time. :)

Leaving on the Epic on the 14th of February. Booked in an inside cabin. Offers of $165 per person for a balcony and $225 per person for a mini Suite, but we haven't heard anything with four days to go. Wondering if we should up the bids.

Leaving on the Epic on the 14th of February. Booked in an inside cabin. Offers of $165 per person for a balcony and $225 per person for a mini Suite, but we haven't heard anything with four days to go. Wondering if we should up the bids.

Your bid amounts should be what you are comfortable enough with paying.

Always book a room you'll be happy with and if a bid is won then it's an extra special.

They have til about 48hr out to notify.

You can do a mock booking to see what is available. Depending on ship/cruise you might see those categories as upgradable from your current cabin for what you are bidding.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Your bid amounts should be what you are comfortable enough with paying.

Always book a room you'll be happy with and if a bid is won then it's an extra special.

They have til about 48hr out to notify.

You can do a mock booking to see what is available. Depending on ship/cruise you might see those categories as upgradable from your current cabin for what you are bidding.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

This cruise was sold out except for inside guarantees and for the past week has not even showed up on NCL's website. I have to guess not many upgrades will be available.

We are sailing on the Getaway 3/18. We purchased an oceanview and then the upgrade offer came. We immediately bid on the balcony and mini suite. Today I did a faux booking on the NCL site to see how full the ship was. I noticed that the mini suite price (in my faux booking) was coming up less than I paid for the oveanview a couple months ago. I quickly called NCL and asked how much it would cost to upgrade my room to a mini suite. After looking up my reservation, she responded "I can do that at no charge". Needless to say I jumped on it and this also increased our on board spending from $30.00 to $70.00 each. Lesson learned, it pays to ask.

We are sailing on the Getaway 3/18. We purchased an oceanview and then the upgrade offer came. We immediately bid on the balcony and mini suite. Today I did a faux booking on the NCL site to see how full the ship was. I noticed that the mini suite price (in my faux booking) was coming up less than I paid for the oveanview a couple months ago. I quickly called NCL and asked how much it would cost to upgrade my room to a mini suite. After looking up my reservation, she responded "I can do that at no charge". Needless to say I jumped on it and this also increased our on board spending from $30.00 to $70.00 each. Lesson learned, it pays to ask.

Wow that is awesome...good for you!!!!! Have a great time!

How good is that!!! Congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just found our bid for the Haven Aft Penthouse from a balcony on Breakaway for this Friday was not accepted. Bid on the poor end of the scale - $1250/per.

Oh well. Would have been nice, but thankfully I already booked us spa passes for the week.

NCL Getaway, sailing Feb 18

Notified of acceptance today (4 days in advance).

Went from MA to Haven Spa

Original bid range was $400 to $2000

Bid accepted in mid fair range.

Ship has been sold out for several days.

That doesn't help us. What was your exact bid?

That doesn't help us. What was your exact bid?

My exact bid will not help you. Different sailings of the same ship will have different bid ranges. Mine was in the exact middle of the fair range. I am on a Spring break sailing so my range would be higher and not likely of help to someone on a later sailing. The point is that it was in the center of the mid range on a sold out ship. But for sake of argument it was 960

Edited by norway olin
incomplete
  • Like 1

My exact bid will not help you. Different sailings of the same ship will have different bid ranges. Mine was in the exact middle of the fair range. I am on a Spring break sailing so my range would be higher and not likely of help to someone on a later sailing. The point is that it was in the center of the mid range on a sold out ship. But for sake of argument it was 960

Exactly!! Thanks for this great information. Every ship, every destination and every date will be different. The bid accepted on this cruise may not even come close on the cruise you're on or, it may be way too high. Stating the range gives a much better idea of what MIGHT be accepted. It's all part of learning the game/gamble.

Good luck.

Thanks, there are of course a lot of variables but providing a broad range is less helpful than providing the exact amount bid. Much appreciated and enjoy your time in The Haven!

Olin you are exactly right regarding bids on different sailings, but thanks for posting your bid anyway. What floored me was your comment that Feb 18 is a spring break sailing; it just gets earlier and earlier ;p

My thinking is that bids that meet halfway PLUS what you already paid are ones that may seem reasonably acceptable to the cruisline. So approx 75% of the posted fare.

Does anyone strongly disagree with that idea?

Olin you are exactly right regarding bids on different sailings, but thanks for posting your bid anyway. What floored me was your comment that Feb 18 is a spring break sailing; it just gets earlier and earlier ;p

That week is February vacation week for schools in MA and possibly other states in the northeast.

My thinking is that bids that meet halfway PLUS what you already paid are ones that may seem reasonably acceptable to the cruisline. So approx 75% of the posted fare.

Does anyone strongly disagree with that idea?

Bidding process in my opinion is a lot more complex than that.

As some others mentioned it could be a few of a lot of points.

Previous customer

Initial cost of cruise

Current cabin grade

Type of booking

Bid amount

Latitude level

CAS ranking

Along with likely numerous other things I'm not even mentioning at the time.

Think of bidding as the chance to play a lottery without paying anything if you don't win and only paying what you preselect in case you do.

Remember it's also you can purchase a room straight out and pick your cabin but the bid is just into a category. So you book nice mid ship quite inside room, bid to OV and Balcony. Those rooms you are bidding to aren't going to be a choice like you picked before, it's going to be whatever is available. So that balcony might be with a view of a life boat and that OV might be a porthole view of the ocean right next to a major machinery space.

• Like 1

Bidding process in my opinion is a lot more complex than that.

As some others mentioned it could be a few of a lot of points.

Previous customer

Initial cost of cruise

Current cabin grade

Type of booking

Bid amount

Latitude level

CAS ranking

Along with likely numerous other things I'm not even mentioning at the time.

Think of bidding as the chance to play a lottery without paying anything if you don't win and only paying what you preselect in case you do.

Remember it's also you can purchase a room straight out and pick your cabin but the bid is just into a category. So you book nice mid ship quite inside room, bid to OV and Balcony. Those rooms you are bidding to aren't going to be a choice like you picked before, it's going to be whatever is available. So that balcony might be with a view of a life boat and that OV might be a porthole view of the ocean right next to a major machinery space.

It definitely includes the amount you paid, I agree with that as a primary factor to get to the approx 75% of the stated fare of the cabin being bid on.

I don’t have a sense any loyalty level is involved.

No direct information about CAS but I’m fairly comfortable thinking logically that those folks are the biggest on board spenders, so it’s a serious win for the cruisline to defer to them above any others as a business decision in my mind.