Fort Lauderdale Westin Fort Lauderdale

Does anyone know if there's a pharmacy within walking distance of The Westin, at 400 Corporate Drive Fort Lauderdale? We realize it's an airport hotel, but live in hope.

We've booked pre cruise with HAL for two nights and it would be most convenient, though not desperate to pick up some 'heavier' items at a pharmacy/drug store.

The convenience doesn't merit a cab.

Thanks in advance experts,

Ruth

Now I'm confused, it appears the hotel has been changed by HAL. I've sent an Email to our TA to confirm, but won't hear until Monday noon so perhaps you generous experts could reply for both/either hotel. Good thing I rechecked our reservations.

It now appears that we're at the Renaissance on Pine Island Road.

If the arranged HAL airport pick up works, we'd end up at the 'correct' hotel but still would like pharmacy info.

Edit doesn't allow me to change title.

Edited by Been There, Planning That
Additional info

Does anyone know if there's a pharmacy within walking distance of The Westin, at 400 Corporate Drive Fort Lauderdale? We realize it's an airport hotel, but live in hope.

We've booked pre cruise with HAL for two nights and it would be most convenient, though not desperate to pick up some 'heavier' items at a pharmacy/drug store.

Ruth

I don't think you realize how far north that hotel is from the airport and Port Everglades. It's probably a $40-$50 cab ride EACH WAY, so adding more taxi fare onto your transportation costs is going to be a bit expensive. You really need a rental car for that location, but then that hotel charges for parking.

Caremart Pharmacy (954-229-0582/960 NE 62nd St) is about 1/4 of a mile east on Cypress Creek/62nd would be an easy walk, but it's a real pharmacy with real pharmacy hours (which means closed on Sunday) and not a Walgreen's type convenience store/pharmacy.

The closest Walgreen's is 1 1/2 miles straight south on 6th Street to Commercial Blvd. (954 772-4206/601 E. Commercial Blvd.). In that area you will also find pharmacies at Publix, Safeway and CVS.

I don't think you realize how far north that hotel is from the airport and Port Everglades. It's probably a $40-$50 cab ride EACH WAY, so adding more taxi fare onto your transportation costs is going to be a bit expensive. You really need a rental car for that location, but then that hotel charges for parking.

Caremart Pharmacy (954-229-0582/960 NE 62nd St) is about 1/4 of a mile east on Cypress Creek/62nd would be an easy walk, but it's a real pharmacy with real pharmacy hours (which means closed on Sunday) and not a Walgreen's type convenience store/pharmacy.

The closest Walgreen's is 1 1/2 miles straight south on 6th Street to Commercial Blvd. (954 772-4206/601 E. Commercial Blvd.). In that area you will also find pharmacies at Publix, Safeway and CVS.

Hopefully the changed booking to the Renaissance on Pine Island Road is the new hotel though I fear it's no more convenient.

For the few things we need it's not worth either a cab or car rental. And we don't bring our own wine aboard.

We booked HAL's more economical choice and they were clear that the Westin is isolated. But I won't be able to hear from our TA until noon on Monday.

Thanks Lido-Deck for your knowledgeable and speedy reply.

Now I'm confused, it appears the hotel has been changed by HAL. I've sent an Email to our TA to confirm, but won't hear until Monday noon so perhaps you generous experts could reply for both/either hotel. Good thing I rechecked our reservations.

If the arranged HAL airport pick up works, we'd end up at the 'correct' hotel but still would like pharmacy info.

Now HAL has moved you to another suburb (Plantation) to the west of Fort Lauderdale. Hopefully a Plantation local (I think Lido Deck lives in the area) can answer about local shopping.

Ruth

Dang...After all that time looking up pharmacies way up north and they change on us. The good news is the Renaissance's location is 100 times better than where the Westin is and it is in my 'hood in Plantation.

There is a Publix Grocery Store with a pharmacy about 1/3 of a mile south on Pine Island Road just on the other side of I-595 in Pine Island Ridge Plaza.

A very popular local sports bar/restaurant, Bokamper's, is an easy walk from the Renaissance...

http://www.bokampers.com/plantation/menu/

If you have a hankering for Mexican Food, Azteca is in the same plaza as Publix...

https://foursquare.com/v/azteca/4b4e7c5af964a52082ef26e3

Thank you for speedy and expert replies.

Hopefully the HAL check in has confirmed the more convenient hotel; though pessimist that I am, I wonder if they really do work for a shopper's convenience.

I'll report back on Monday when I hear from our TA who operates on Pacific time.

Ruth from the frigid north

Thank you for speedy and expert replies.

Hopefully the HAL check in has confirmed the more convenient hotel; though pessimist that I am, I wonder if they really do work for a shopper's convenience.

I'll report back on Monday when I hear from our TA who operates on Pacific time.

Ruth from the frigid north

Is HAL providing the transfers to and from the hotel? If so, what are your dates and what are they charging you?

Dang...After all that time looking up pharmacies way up north and they change on us. The good news is the Renaissance's location is 100 times better than where the Westin is and it is in my 'hood in Plantation.

There is a Publix Grocery Store with a pharmacy about 1/3 of a mile south on Pine Island Road just on the other side of I-595 in Pine Island Ridge Plaza.

A very popular local sports bar/restaurant, Bokamper's, is an easy walk from the Renaissance...

http://www.bokampers.com/plantation/menu/

If you have a hankering for Mexican Food, Azteca is in the same plaza as Publix...

https://foursquare.com/v/azteca/4b4e7c5af964a52082ef26e3

One of my besties is the pharmacy manager at that Publix!

Is HAL providing the transfers to and from the hotel? If so, what are your dates and what are they charging you?

Yes, HAL is doing the transfers. I decided to check to confirm on the off chance there was a mix-up and we had to get a taxi. This will be our first cruise line pick up to their hotel choice.

We leave Friday for a Sunday departure. We booked a year ago, and were charged 2 X $297 Cdn. We thought this a good deal.

Yes, HAL is doing the transfers. I decided to check to confirm on the off chance there was a mix-up and we had to get a taxi. This will be our first cruise line pick up to their hotel choice.

We leave Friday for a Sunday departure. We booked a year ago, and were charged 2 X $297 Cdn. We thought this a good deal.

Ouch! Given some time we could have found a much better deal than that.

Ouch! Given some time we could have found a much better deal than that.

As I said this is our first ever cruise line hotel choice after decades of independent travel using basic hotels around the world. We're at the stage where we're going to let someone else do the booking but that does come with a steep price.

Remember though our dollar is at an all time low.

Ruth

Lido Deck,

Well I just had it all confirmed and have printed off confirmations. On the off chance the HAL pick up fails we're all prepared to get a cab to the correct hotel.

Thank you for confirming that it's the better location. I know it was initially the more expensive choice so I'm not sure why the switch, but we're sure NOT complaining. (I wonder if others arriving at the same pick up time were at the Renaissance and so it was efficient to move us.)

And thank you again for all your shopping hints. And you've even included 'meal plan' options,

With gratitude,

Ruth

Lido Deck,

Well I just had it all confirmed and have printed off confirmations. On the off chance the HAL pick up fails we're all prepared to get a cab to the correct hotel.

Thank you for confirming that it's the better location. I know it was initially the more expensive choice so I'm not sure why the switch, but we're sure NOT complaining. (I wonder if others arriving at the same pick up time were at the Renaissance and so it was efficient to move us.)

And thank you again for all your shopping hints. And you've even included 'meal plan' options,

With gratitude,

Ruth

Let's hope the pick up at the airport doesn't fail because a taxi from FLL to the Plantation Renaissance is $40-$50 one way. I would be pretty surprised if that would happen, though, because I'm sure you won't be the only ones doing the same thing.

Most likely the reason they moved you is they don't have enough guests to fill both hotels and/or too few selected the Westin, so it would be easier to move you at the lower price to consolidate the group.

Enjoy your cruise and my 'hood here in Plantation. I just gave you a couple of dining options, but you are not that far from dozens of restaurants and two nice malls.

Lido Deck,

Your advice was perfect. We walked to the Publix easily and saw our dinner location - Mexican restaurant.

Had an offer of a lift, leaving the hotel. Very gracious driver. I guess it's unusual to see walkers in the area.

Thanks,

Ruth

Hey, Ruth...Welcome to the 'Hood!

While it's a very short walk it is a bit busy with traffic since State Road 84, Pine Island Road and I-595 all come together there. It's not bad, though, if you pay attention and watch traffic as you cross the roads.

Azteca is a busy, boisterous fun place on the weekend. They have a big bar area where people like to gather. If you look around you might find some coupons for them, but you usually have to eat in the bar area.

Also, just a little ways west in that plaza is Rob's Barbecue, which is pretty good. A little farther west is a nice movie theater if you have time for a movie. You select your "seat" (which are big recliners) as you buy your ticket, but don't sit in the first couple of rows because you are lying back looking straight up.

Here's an easy way to answer questions like this.

Open google maps and center the map on your hotel.

In this case you could type the address or the name of the hotel.

Right Click near the hotel.

Click on the Search Nearby.

Enter what you want to search for, hotels, restaurants, pharmacies.

You'll get list with pins on the map showing where they are.