Share expansion

antsp

I detest sabatinis with a passion. Share was a welcome and enjoyable experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Different strokes for different folks - we enjoy Sabatini's, especially the great service.

Of course, our like for Sabatini's is admittedly influenced by Breakfast in Sabatini's which we absolutely love and is a highlight to start every cruise day.

Glad you enjoyed Share - we hope we do as well as we'll undoubtedly give it a try to know for sure.

Different strokes for different folks - we enjoy Sabatini's, especially the great service.

Of course, our like for Sabatini's is admittedly influenced by Breakfast in Sabatini's which we absolutely love and is a highlight to start every cruise day.

Glad you enjoyed Share - we hope we do as well as we'll undoubtedly give it a try to know for sure.

Exactly. :)

I finally tried Share on the Ruby in December. We were with friends who love it and went twice. We really liked it, and will be back on our cruise in April.

I liked Sabattini's the first time I tried it on the old menu, but didn't like the new menu, so I'm happy with Share.

I disagree. It's a small space on the ships implemented on and not compared to the size of a building.

The costs will be absorbed quickly and the concept long forgotten except here on CC.

Well... Let's say you have a building. It is fully depreciated, so it has no value on your books. It probably took 20 or 30 years for that to occur. But the moment that you have to put a roof on that building, that is a depreciable expense. Now it has to go back on your fixed asset books and will eventually depreciate to a value of zero. You aren't depreciating the full building, just the improvement. The time frame for that roof will not be the same as for the original structure, generally a shorter time span that is reflective of the average life of the improvement. The time frame will be chosen based upon a number of factors, including tax treatment.

This is where I believe that we'll see Share stick around on the equipped ships, even if it isn't distributed fleet wide.

Share's lack of presence fleet wide may also be a calculated move by Princess. Ask this question, is it in their best interest to have all their ships basically be identical, or is it in their best interest to have sufficient variation from ship to ship that they will attract cruisers back because they can try a new ship that has something other ships don't?

Whether or not we as individuals like Share or Curtis Stone style of menu items, this is all about marketing and providing customer options. It is also about continuing to make ships destinations in and of themselves. Little differences between ships are a way of keeping people coming back to the line to try something they haven't done yet.

I think it was on another thread, but a fellow poster commented "once you've seen one Caribbean island, you've basically seen them all." And they used this as their justification for being inclined to choose a cruise for the ship they are on rather than the ports they are going to. This type of cruiser is gold to any cruise line because they are cruising not for the destination, but for the sake of the cruise, which means they may stay on board in ports and that increases their chance of spending money on ship rather than in port. This is also the type of cruiser who wants variety between ships.

So, between the marketing needs to keep Princess top of mind with cruisers, to compete with other lines, and to attract repeate business, I think we'll probably see more differentiation between ships in the future years. Share will end up being one of many different things which differentiate ships from one another.

And keep in mind the current asset (space) can be re-purposed to something else with some window dressing and signage change. So Share's life may be determined by Princess wishes, contract termination terms, and avoiding/spinning perception of a "failure" as much as anything else.

To be honest, if I were at Princess and being told to find a celebrity chef to design a specialty restaurant and menu I'd pick Thomas Keller and specifically the menu and food that is offered at Bouchon, located in The Venetian in Las Vegas. I attend a trade show about every other year at The Venetian and the food at Bouchon is the same every time and just excellent. I could see it being very successful on board.

Keller already works with Seabourn

Exactly.....:):):)

Bob

To be honest, if I were at Princess and being told to find a celebrity chef to design a specialty restaurant and menu I'd pick Thomas Keller and specifically the menu and food that is offered at Bouchon, located in The Venetian in Las Vegas. I attend a trade show about every other year at The Venetian and the food at Bouchon is the same every time and just excellent. I could see it being very successful on board.

Thomas Keller has a restaurant on the new Seabourn ship. All-inclusive of course. I think Princess would have to charge a pretty penny to get someone like Keller on their ships.

Well... Let's say you have a building. It is fully depreciated, so it has no value on your books. It probably took 20 or 30 years for that to occur. But the moment that you have to put a roof on that building, that is a depreciable expense. Now it has to go back on your fixed asset books and will eventually depreciate to a value of zero. You aren't depreciating the full building, just the improvement. The time frame for that roof will not be the same as for the original structure, generally a shorter time span that is reflective of the average life of the improvement. The time frame will be chosen based upon a number of factors, including tax treatment.

This is where I believe that we'll see Share stick around on the equipped ships, even if it isn't distributed fleet wide.

Share's lack of presence fleet wide may also be a calculated move by Princess. Ask this question, is it in their best interest to have all their ships basically be identical, or is it in their best interest to have sufficient variation from ship to ship that they will attract cruisers back because they can try a new ship that has something other ships don't?

Whether or not we as individuals like Share or Curtis Stone style of menu items, this is all about marketing and providing customer options. It is also about continuing to make ships destinations in and of themselves. Little differences between ships are a way of keeping people coming back to the line to try something they haven't done yet.

I think it was on another thread, but a fellow poster commented "once you've seen one Caribbean island, you've basically seen them all." And they used this as their justification for being inclined to choose a cruise for the ship they are on rather than the ports they are going to. This type of cruiser is gold to any cruise line because they are cruising not for the destination, but for the sake of the cruise, which means they may stay on board in ports and that increases their chance of spending money on ship rather than in port. This is also the type of cruiser who wants variety between ships.

So, between the marketing needs to keep Princess top of mind with cruisers, to compete with other lines, and to attract repeate business, I think we'll probably see more differentiation between ships in the future years. Share will end up being one of many different things which differentiate ships from one another.

Exactly Share was never intended to be fleetwide but rather dedicated to a "regional market." The did cancel it on the Coral (which was one of the original planned spots) when the ship was permanent redeployed to a different market area. I think you will see a large variance in what the different ships have over the next few years, just as they are changing up the entertainment and shows.

Thomas Keller has a restaurant on the new Seabourn ship. All-inclusive of course. I think Princess would have to charge a pretty penny to get someone like Keller on their ships.

Keller already works with Seabourn

Thanks for letting me know. Seabourn is out of my league, for now. I'm also not so sure I'd like small ship sailing at this point in my life.

And you are probably right, Keller would probably be very expensive, but I also bet that the Stone partnership isn't free. I guess everything is relative.