Bottled Water Ripoff

Curtw

It's no different than an airport. Water is a premium drink, has been for years. It costs cruise ships money to pay employees to lug it to your room. Ultimately if you cannot afford water prices maybe you should save up a bit longer until you can afford the cruise. We all have to be aware of the costs of a holiday trip. That includes everything. I am sure a year from now the companies who sell it will raise to prices too. Expect higher prices for all consumables in the future it's the nature of doing business. All the restaurants serve free water. Delivery to your room a perk. I think 41 bucks for a seven day cruise (12 liters) is reasonable for delivering a heavy bulky item. These are liters!

Just saying.. [emoji12]FYI that's the cheapest thing I bought!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JustDandy

In December 2011, I was boarding the Norwegian Star in Tampa and I'm not kidding you, there were people dragging full luggage carts of water and soda onto the ship, the TSA made every one put every thing threw the X-ray machines and boarding was a huge, long nightmare. I think that might have also something to do with it also

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I happen to think the water on NCL tastes fine (I drink filtered water at home[emoji572]) so I wouldn't bother with bottled water. I thought the taste of tap water on CCL to be inferior. Not sure why as it MUST be filtered as well. Their bottled water was self branded; so was it the same water filtered a few extra times?? I really wondered. RCI includes water and specialty coffe in their soda package. This was excellent. I wish NCL would create an intermediate level like this.

This.

If you do not like the price of something do not buy that thing!

Since the new policy began, I simply take two empty bottles on board. I fill them up as needed and it works for me. The price doesn't bother me since I wouldn't buy it anyway. LOL.

The ship's water on NCL tastes fine to me if it has been filtered to remove the chlorine. You get it in the dining rooms and the buffet after it has been filtered. In the cabin, it is still chlorinated and to me, tastes like pool water. Any bottled water or filtered water without chlorine is fine to me, so Carnival's bottled water would probably be just fine. But I get it when people say they have a preference for a certain bottled water, or don't like Aquafina or Dasani.

Every time one of these threads come up some non-bottled water drinker throws out insults, insinuates we're fools for paying for TAP WATER! But it isn't tap water. It is processed, filtered water that goes through sanitation processes that don't add chlorine or leave residual chemicals in the water.

To me, all beer tastes the same and I can't imagine paying any more for some specialty hipster IPA brew over Coors or Bud. They are all just beer. They are made the same way, often in the same bottling plant. And they all use tap water. I laugh when I see people getting upset over the bar being out of the "favorite" beer. They are all the same. ;)

Interesting, I wasn't aware of the ban or the cost, but I wonder if he high cost on board is to discourage people from drinking bottled water partly because of environmental reasons? The more people who drink tap/filtered water the less plastic waste there is.

Its your choice to buy it or not. Just liek it is yoru choice to book an inside cabin or the rip off haven.

We have been cruising for years...just debarked from our 63rd! I used to bring bottled spring water aboard because with a compromised immune system, my doctor prescribed it. The price we are paying for water now is retribution against everyone by cruise line for the deeds committed by a few passengers who brought contraband, i.e., alcohol aboard in water bottles and then bragged about it on the internet! However, just like the teacher who punishes the whole classroom for the pranks of a few, NCL is punishing everyone for the wrongdoing committed by a few. No, $47.00, (which is what a 12-pack of 1-liter bottles of water costs on NCL), is not a lot of money, but it is just one more way they have been nIckel and diming passengers in recent years! I feel badly for those who save up for months and sometimes years to go on a cruise, because it is a lot of money to them! That's what cruising has come to, and as long as we condone it by paying more and more for things that are ridiculously overpriced, there will be more and more things passengers will have to pay extra for...things that once were included in the price of a cruise! Once there was happy hour, now there is a liquor, wine or beer package; once there was delicious food in the dining room, now there are Specialty restaurant packages serving mediocre food which most of us cook at home; once the spas were open to any passenger for a small price, now there are expensive packages for only those who can afford that luxury; once there were laundry rooms on most ships where passengers could do their own laundry in coin-operated machines, now laundry is a luxury provided only by the cruise line for a small fortune unless you have spent thousands of dollars cruising with them and have reached a high loyalty tier and receive one small free bag of laundry a week. I could go on and on, but these are some of the reasons why I feel it is unfair for passengers to have to pay $6.00 for a liter of water!

We have been cruising for years...just debarked from our 63rd! I used to bring bottled spring water aboard because with a compromised immune system, my doctor prescribed it. The price we are paying for water now is retribution against everyone by cruise line for the deeds committed by a few passengers who brought contraband, i.e., alcohol aboard in water bottles and then bragged about it on the internet! However, just like the teacher who punishes the whole classroom for the pranks of a few, NCL is punishing everyone for the wrongdoing committed by a few. No, $47.00, (which is what a 12-pack of 1-liter bottles of water costs on NCL), is not a lot of money, but it is just one more way they have been nIckel and diming passengers in recent years! I feel badly for those who save up for months and sometimes years to go on a cruise, because it is a lot of money to them! That's what cruising has come to, and as long as we condone it by paying more and more for things that are ridiculously overpriced, there will be more and more things passengers will have to pay extra for...things that once were included in the price of a cruise! Once there was happy hour, now there is a liquor, wine or beer package; once there was delicious food in the dining room, now there are Specialty restaurant packages serving mediocre food which most of us cook at home; once the spas were open to any passenger for a small price, now there are expensive packages for only those who can afford that luxury; once there were laundry rooms on most ships where passengers could do their own laundry in coin-operated machines, now laundry is a luxury provided only by the cruise line for a small fortune unless you have spent thousands of dollars cruising with them and have reached a high loyalty tier and receive one small free bag of laundry a week. I could go on and on, but these are some of the reasons why I feel it is unfair for passengers to have to pay $6.00 for a liter of water!

Sandy, well said, I think I love you!

Everything you mention boils down to supply and demand. As others have mentioned, $6 for a liter of water is not unheard of but can be reduced to $2-$3 a liter if purchased in advance. Still too much? Maybe, but they will charge what people are willing to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beware, Norwegian no longer allows bottled water carry-on, and they charge over $6 per bottle for 1 liter bottles of water. Compare to Carnival, who will deliver a 12-pack of 1/2 liter water to your room for under $5. Do the math, Norwegian: over $6 per liter. Carnival: about $1.20 per liter. Norwegian is 5 times higher. Ridiculous, right? Price gouging!

Bottled water is a mainstay for us when we travel, we would not have sailed Norwegian knowing this. Seems like a small issue, but every time I took a sip, found myself thinking ka-ching, certainly tarnished the good times.

I totally understand your frustration....it's the cost not the rule that irks you. I get it! My brother is going with us on our cruise and that's all he drinks is filtered water. So we will take a few empty bottles with us and fill up at the buffet...I hear that is filtered water...probably far better than the store bought stuff. No biggy!

Mostly irrelevant. If you have a medical need for bottled water they allow you to bring it on board.

If I need to bring water or milk onboard for a medical reason or infant, what’s the process?

Guests who have special needs, medical requirements, or families with infants who require water for formula or milk, should contact the access desk at accessdesk@ncl.com to verify if an exception can be made for their beverage and to obtain pre-approval to provide to security at embarkation.

There have been incidents with GREEN HORN security people interpreting the

carriage of empty water bottles on board as a no-no. WRONG !

Call them out on this - ask for their supervisor or an NCL agent (one who is

not also a GREEN HORN and ignorant of the policy !

If the bottle contains liquid it is not allowed - BUT if empty you are permitted

to bring the empty water bottle onboard to refill at any point in a sanitary way.

So you arrive at the security point with a bottle full of an unknown substance

- empty the bottle in a suitable fashion to a garbage or trash can and bring it on.

Refill it from a pitcher or ice bucket in your cabin or go to the buffet or bar

and fill it up in the approved appropriate way and take your water anywhere

on or off the ship - just remember when returning back onto the ship it must

be EMPTY.

Best way to bring on the empty water bottles is in your carry-on and do not

volunteer or show them. Let the security ex-ray machine do the stealth work

finding them out - some do not detect much of anything except weapons of

mass destruction aka pocket knifes etc.

Empty water bottles in your checked luggage may or may not be discovered

and the worse case scene is picking up your luggage from the naughty room

if your luggage is locked and NCL can not check and see the empty bottles.

New Hire (GREEN HORN) security personnel should know quickly what the

water bottle policy is in short order and smooth the flow of traffic thru security.

Do not interpret this post as Official NCL Policy but merely an observation of

activity at security check-in and what has been working well since the ban on

carry-on liquids in water bottles !

Last gasp course of resort - buy an expensive bottle of water on board and

reuse it as necessary - but only buy ONE !

Try to go easy on the NCL crew they did not instigate this policy - this was done

by corporate bean counters and executives in the Front Office of NCL !

Or, another option: cruise on a premium cruise line where absolutely everything is included (all alcohol, bottled water, tips, etc.). Some of the premium lines include Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Viking. I love not being nickelled & dimed to death.

Or, another option: cruise on a premium cruise line where absolutely everything is included (all alcohol, bottled water, tips, etc.). Some of the premium lines include Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Viking. I love not being nickelled & dimed to death.

Latecomer to this thread but our favourite is Azamara, small ships, all inclusive, bottle water by the bucket load free and at the end of the day/cruise no nasty surprises. Best of all no hand in the pocket all the time. We've done the sums per day and I know what wins for us[emoji3][emoji471]

Why not carry your own water bottle on empty and fill it from faucets on the ship which is distilled water

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most ships (all cruise lines) bunker water (fill up water bunkers with water from the port municipal water systems) for at least part of their cruises. Ships like the Sky on short cruises, bunker 100% of their water.

I'm not being argumentative. I'm just telling you WHY I will not drink anything but bottled water and pay for it on a ship.

We used to bring our own, but now they changed the rules.

Ive seen a lot of posts from you on this subject and realize you are particular about your water but it's to the point where I can't understand why you choose cruising as a vacation. If you feel so negatively about the ships water - you must realize they use it in the galley. So everything you eat or drink on the ship touches that water. So any non water drinks provided by the ship will have the water in the ice, used to mix with concentrate, or in the coffee/iced tea. It's used to wash your plates, rinse your fresh food, and in any dish you eat. Simply saying you prefer the taste of one particular bottled water is one thing, but to imply there's something wrong with the ships water. You can't really believe you are living on the ship and not consuming the ship's water on a regular basis? [emoji848]

I'm also assuming you are using your $6 a bottle water to brush your teeth and rinse your toothbrush? Since you have such an issue with water from a tap and from staying in places that have 100% truly undrinkable water, you can't get it in your mouth at all.