RC cancelled our cruise twice!

suztocruz

Help! Has anyone else encountered this problem? We have (had) reservations for the March 12 cruise on Oasis of the Seas. We received an email from RC Saturday night stating that our cruise, along with all our drink/internet packages and specialty dining, had been cancelled. Our travel agent spent a long time on the phone Sunday having all our reservations reinstated. (RC could not give a reason why it was cancelled.) We received the same email this evening, and RC has cancelled our reservations for a SECOND time! We called RC and were told that they cancelled our reservations because we had an outstanding balance of $80, although they could not tell us what the balance was for. Our invoice states that our cruise was paid in full on January 13. All reservations made through cruise planner were charged to my credit card, and all charges have posted on my credit card account. We were not able to get anywhere with RC, and will have to wait for our travel agent to contact them in the morning. Hopefully he will be able to rectify the problem. We are extremely frustrated!

Edited by suztocruz

Did you cancel anything in your cruise planner that had a value of $80? Even if you rebooked it. This is where the issue came from with me, but they had the history of all my payments and the total value of the cruise hadn't changed so they were able to see the error was theirs just by totalling everything up. For whatever reason they refunded my card & removed the stuff I cancelled in the cruise planner, but then also subtracted that total from the payments I'd made to the base fare of the cruise. Yes it's confusing and yes it makes no sense.

Please do let me know what the outcome is and if they're able to explain why this happened to you.

Did you cancel anything in your cruise planner that had a value of $80? Even if you rebooked it. This is where the issue came from with me, but they had the history of all my payments and the total value of the cruise hadn't changed so they were able to see the error was theirs just by totalling everything up. For whatever reason they refunded my card & removed the stuff I cancelled in the cruise planner, but then also subtracted that total from the payments I'd made to the base fare of the cruise. Yes it's confusing and yes it makes no sense.

Please do let me know what the outcome is and if they're able to explain why this happened to you.

I did cancel and rebook two drink packages ($792.96) and the internet package ($55.93) on Friday. Reservations were cancelled the next day. I'm sure my TA will get it straightened out AGAIN, but it is so stressful! Hope you get everything straightened out, too!

I have to say this is the thing that scares me about using a TA. Not that it's their fault but losing that direct control

And yet there is another thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2454468) where they too have a balance due yet believe they're paid up and are frustrated trying to call in direct. At least the OP's TA will be stuck on hold. I don't understand the more 'control' thing. An experienced TA, especially one that books the CL often hopefully can go to bat for them. Still a fight with bureaucracy and rules and IT and from reading these boards seems like innocent changes like adding a drink package can trigger such things. Good luck to the OP (and Dixie1337 OP on the other thread). Hope you get your issues resolved and can look forward to your cruise.

My fully paid cruise popped up with an unpaid balance that was equivalent to the pre-paid gratuities amount. I called them and they promptly removed it.

As a Diamond-Plus, I think that the prepaid-gratuities becomes optional when making a reservation on the web site. I did not check the checkbox. However, a month later, they added it anyway. I then received an email about the past due amount. That is the only way that I became aware of the issue. If I had missed that email, then perhaps mine too would have been cancelled.

I'm not sure what's going on with RCCL IT department, but I would certainly like a job application to head up that department and whip it into shape. There is a corporate culture problem I suspect as the problem has gone on for years.

I'm not sure what's going on with RCCL IT department, but I would certainly like a job application to head up that department and whip it into shape. There is a corporate culture problem I suspect as the problem has gone on for years.

I think as long as they keep filling their ships, they really don't care. Like you said, it has gone on for years. They should add a section on the post cruise survey about their IT department , I bet they'd get a bunch of zeros for that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It happened to us once. All paid up and suddenly them are saying we aren't booked. Turned out that their computers took a dive or something. We lost the cabin we wanted.

Hope all goes well for you! :)

I posted this on one of those other threads about the same thing. Most people don't look at their bookings after they are paid in full. Imagine showing up at the pier and finding out that your booking got cancelled by mistake!!

UPDATE: Our TA worked with RCL all day. No explanation as to why we had an outstanding balance of $80 that caused our reservation to be cancelled. Reservations have been reinstated and we have been given an additional $100 OBC for the inconvenience. We were able to rebook all our specialty restaurant reservations. Unfortunately, though, a few of the shows are full. Hopefully there is not a third cancellation in our future. Thanks to all those who offered suggestions or support!

I did cancel and rebook two drink packages ($792.96) and the internet package ($55.93) on Friday. Reservations were cancelled the next day. I'm sure my TA will get it straightened out AGAIN, but it is so stressful! Hope you get everything straightened out, too!

UPDATE: Our TA worked with RCL all day. No explanation as to why we had an outstanding balance of $80 that caused our reservation to be cancelled. Reservations have been reinstated and we have been given an additional $100 OBC for the inconvenience. We were able to rebook all our specialty restaurant reservations. Unfortunately, though, a few of the shows are full. Hopefully there is not a third cancellation in our future. Thanks to all those who offered suggestions or support!

Glad it worked out for you. Although it shouldn't cause the problems it did, another reminder that when poking around your reservation cancelling and rebooking things the gremlins can sneak in and wreak havoc. Tread cautiously (or just let your TA do it).

It happened to us once. All paid up and suddenly them are saying we aren't booked. Turned out that their computers took a dive or something. We lost the cabin we wanted.

Hope all goes well for you! :)

I keep having a similar issue. If I click around in the cruise planner too much, the discounts/promos on my fare suddenly disappears, and the price of the cruise changes. Even if I fully paid, it can suddenly look like I have a balance. Very annoying. It's been an easy fix over the phone, but I'm getting tired of having to call at all.

suztocruz, so glad they got it straightened out!

How can you tell if your account has a balance? We cruise in a week and now I'm nervous we're suddenly going to owe money.

If you booked directly on Royal's website, you should be able to see your balance on your Countdown to Cruise page. Otherwise contact whoever booked your cruise and ask them to send you Royal's Guest Copy of your booking confirmation.

suztocruz, so glad they got it straightened out!

How can you tell if your account has a balance? We cruise in a week and now I'm nervous we're suddenly going to owe money.

If you booked directly with RC, you can see your balance in the cruise planner. If you booked with a TA, I think you have to check with them.

If you booked directly on Royal's website, you should be able to see your balance on your Countdown to Cruise page. Otherwise contact whoever booked your cruise and ask them to send you Royal's Guest Copy of your booking confirmation.

Yep, i checked. It shows nil balance and the date I paid in full. I will ptint that and or try and save as a PDF on my devices. Just in case.........

Yep, i checked. It shows nil balance and the date I paid in full. I will ptint that and or try and save as a PDF on my devices. Just in case.........

You can call & ask them to email you an invoice and it will show your payments and outstanding balance.

I just found out that having reservations randomly cancel is a known & named bug. How do you like that? The issue I'm having is similar but not the same, thankfully.

If you still have the energy, I would call back about the shows. They don't book the shows completely full and if someone in a suite wanted a reservation, RCL would make it work. After all of your problems, RCL should make the extra effort.

You can call & ask them to email you an invoice and it will show your payments and outstanding balance.

I just found out that having reservations randomly cancel is a known & named bug. How do you like that? The issue I'm having is similar but not the same, thankfully.

Cool, nice to know cruise line industry lingo

"Kniw & named bug"

As clear as mud to me!:eek:

Hipefully, we will never have that happen! Fingers crossed:D