MDR Menu

Sue1260

This has probably been ask before but here goes...are all the menus in the MDR the same across all ships? Also are all days kept in the same order? I will be on Breakaway in May and found a website that lists all menus day by day and are current for 2016. The reason for my question I am trying to decide which days to book specialty restaurants. In a few days we will be 90 days till sailing so I can book my 3 specialty restaurants. The reason for my questions are I'm a very picky eater and would hate to miss something I like in MDR because I'm dinning in the Cagney's or elsewhere. Then have a night I have no specialty restaurants booked and there is nothing on MDR menu that will work for me. Just trying to plan ahead me and DH love to eat in MDR or restaurant in the evening so I don't want to have to go to buffet for dinner. Sometimes at lunch there is nothing even at the buffet that I would choose to eat.

The menus are fleetwide, and they seem to follow the same rotation on all ships, but there's really no way to know for sure this far out which menu you will get on each night of your cruise.

Go ahead and make your reservations, but be prepared that you might have to adjust them as the cruise goes along.

Some people have had luck asking to see the MDR menus for the entire cruise on embarkation day. I think they may even be accessible on iConcierge sometimes. But again, not before the cruise.

can you share that link? I too will be on BA in may and would find this helpful for the same reasons.

http://eatsleepcruise.com/2016/03/norwegian-escape-menus/

This is best most comprehensive one I could find hope it helps but I may have to change night once on board. Hope I can see whole week at start of cruise and make reservations at specialty restaurants.

Whilst the menus are fleetwide, there were until recently still some ships with the old ones. That may well still be the case.

My understanding is that there is a basic order which is kept to, but that may not be the same from itinerary to itinerary.

In addition, we were told when on a behind the scenes tour that they do change them a bit dependent on the make up of the passengers. For example (and this was on a Med cruise) if there are a lot of French passengers then there are a couple of menus they will use, whereas they have others that they will prefer if lots of British onboard.

Another thing they mentioned is that there are a couple of menus that seem to be popular with kids, so they use them when there are kids onboard.

This is possibly more relevant in Europe (and the chef may have been exaggerating the effect of this), but it does demonstrate the factors which may be relevant.

There are apparently about 14 menus, so there is no reason to stick to the same 7.

I certainly wouldn't take individual days menus into account when booking restaurants. Possibly things like the prime rib night in o'Sheehans, if that appealed the me, because I doubt whether that changes much.

The menus are fleetwide, and they seem to follow the same rotation on all ships, but there's really no way to know for sure this far out which menu you will get on each night of your cruise.

Go ahead and make your reservations, but be prepared that you might have to adjust them as the cruise goes along.

Some people have had luck asking to see the MDR menus for the entire cruise on embarkation day. I think they may even be accessible on iConcierge sometimes. But again, not before the cruise.

On the Epic you could view the MDR menus for the entire cruise on first day via the stateroom TV. I'd check on embarkation day and make changes to your reservations on the first day while there is availability.

I feel your pain as I'm a very picky eater, but if you don't like the MDR menu there is always other options like Osheehans or the buffet!

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I am going to pre-book 2 of the specialty restaurants and leave 1 to book on cruise. I used iConcierge last cruise so hopefully it will help me to make decisions.

As stated before I have a hard time at buffet because I don't like many types of food such as Chinese, German or French just to name a few. And also a lot of sauces turn me off or I just can't try the out.

We went to O Sheehan one last cruise my DH loved prime rib I couldn't even try it. It always looks too fatty!

But love getting dressed and going to dinner going to try to branch out (hopefully)

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I am going to pre-book 2 of the specialty restaurants and leave 1 to book on cruise. I used iConcierge last cruise so hopefully it will help me to make decisions.

As stated before I have a hard time at buffet because I don't like many types of food such as Chinese, German or French just to name a few. And also a lot of sauces turn me off or I just can't try the out.

We went to O Sheehan one last cruise my DH loved prime rib I couldn't even try it. It always looks too fatty!

But love getting dressed and going to dinner going to try to branch out (hopefully)

What do you actually like to eat?

Yes I no about MDR and buffets at the start of thread my question was about the menus and being able to book specialty restaurants and on other nights having one of my favorite items avaliable in MDR