First time on Princess, advice for formal night attire ?

The Other Tom

My wife and I are sailing on the Coral on a Panama Canal cruise. Normally we sail Norwegian (no formal nights) so we are wondering what would be accepted in the MDR on formal nights. For me, would a long sleeve shirt with tie (no jacket) be ok ? What about for my wife ?

We have any time dining if it matters.

My wife and I are sailing on the Coral on a Panama Canal cruise. Normally we sail Norwegian (no formal nights) so we are wondering what would be accepted in the MDR on formal nights. For me, would a long sleeve shirt with tie (no jacket) be ok ? What about for my wife ?

You will be fine. :)

Does not matter, both DR's are the same.

Shirt/tie fine if you do not want to pack or wear your sportcoat. Your wife will be fine in a nice dress, pants/sweater/blouse/jacket/wrap/jewelry. Some wear their bling, but you will see most everything. Jeans are just frowned upon.

Shirt/tie fine if you do not want to pack or wear your sportcoat. Your wife will be fine in a nice dress, pants/sweater/blouse/jacket/wrap/jewelry. Some wear their bling, but you will see most everything. Jeans are just frowned upon.

Agree. Some will dress to the nines and some more the "casual" part of "smart casual."

It also partly depends on the climate of the itinerary, i.e. more sport coats in Alaska and fewer in the Caribbean.

Personally I like to wear a sport coat at dinner - colored shirt and sans tie on smart casual nights and white shirt plus tie in formal nights. Multi-purpose packing and dressing!

Hopefully this attachment is legible. It is the sign that was posted in front of both MDRs on our Panama cruise on the Coral last year.

IMG_20160501_084834.jpg.6a73e102ca8c5a6c7e6671c4503e39d1.jpg

Enforcement varies. It has a lot to do with the temperament of the matre'd. If you follow the rules, you will encounter no issues, but shirt, tie and slacks should, I repeat should, not be a problem. I've dressed as such on formal nights and not been given any hassle. The only missing item was a jacket, and I take that off to eat anyway.

Enforcement varies. It has a lot to do with the temperament of the matre'd. If you follow the rules, you will encounter no issues, but shirt, tie and slacks should, I repeat should, not be a problem. I've dressed as such on formal nights and not been given any hassle. The only missing item was a jacket, and I take that off to eat anyway.

I agree. And I also often times take my jacket off upon sitting down.

The tie is a nice touch for a male but that is not needed. I have been going to formal night in the MDR for several years with just a long sleeved shirt (cool in there) and dockers. I used to bring a sport coat but stopped when the airlines started charging for baggage. I have never worn a tie on the ship for any reason. I have never been alone in that manner of dressing and recently have switched to my guayabera shirt instead of the long sleeved shirt again without any problems. It is much more comfortable.

You will be more then fine.