Gas Bottle Explosion aboard Emerald in Dunedin

makawe

The cruise schedule is now showing departure at 21.00. Wonder if they will keep to that.. At least the wind has dropped from last night.

The Otago Daily Times this morning reported that the Emerald Princess departed Port Chalmers at 9.08 pm.

Watched her sail out on the albatross webcam, ship was well lit up, the bird turned it's head to watch the ship pass by.

The Otago Daily Times this morning reported that the Emerald Princess departed Port Chalmers at 9.08 pm.

Watched her sail out on the albatross webcam, ship was well lit up, the bird turned it's head to watch the ship pass by.

She is making good time, still has her arriving outside Sydney heads at 04.30am Monday morning.:D

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the follow up article.

It is a real worry for several reasons.

That the cylinders could get that corroded and that staff with knowledge that it was leaking had not checked it.

I hope this investigation helps prevent future incidents like this occurring across all ships.

I hope the man's family have been looked after by Princess. This is a real concern. Surely the ship's Engineer would be responsible to oversee the maintenance of these cylinders. As has been proven numerous times they can become lethal even at the backyard BBQ.

Thanks for the follow up article.

It is a real worry for several reasons.

That the cylinders could get that corroded and that staff with knowledge that it was leaking had not checked it.

I hope this investigation helps prevent future incidents like this occurring across all ships.

Cruise lines are lucky that accidents like that do not happen more often. If that piece of equipment was on a Navy ship it would be regularly cleaned and maintained to prevent corrosion and regularly inspected for safety and corrosion.

I have noticed that maintenance on cruise ship is extremely slack and lacking with an emphasis on getting passengers on and off in record time opposed to regularly checking items for safety reasons.

Cruise lines are lucky that accidents like that do not happen more often. If that piece of equipment was on a Navy ship it would be regularly cleaned and maintained to prevent corrosion and regularly inspected for safety and corrosion.

I have noticed that maintenance on cruise ship is extremely slack and lacking with an emphasis on getting passengers on and off in record time opposed to regularly checking items for safety reasons.

The action of checking the bottle for soundness and corrosion is required before refilling any gas bottle on land whether it be LPG, Oxygen, Acetylene, Nitrogen or any other type of Gas. I would think the same would apply on a ship. A costly and unfortunately a tragic mistake.