Oceania Tahiti - any recent reviews?

caviargal

Did that include dinner for 2 and transportation to the hotel from the ship and then to the airport? How much was the package without the room?

Barbara

It did not include dinner. It included transfer from ship to hotel and hotel to airport. Just make sure you transfer your luggage with Oceania to pickup at airport. The package without the room was just to let you change at there spa and use of all the hotel facilities no room. It Included dinner for 2. I think it was around $150 or $160;00

It did not include dinner. It included transfer from ship to hotel and hotel to airport. Just make sure you transfer your luggage with Oceania to pickup at airport. The package without the room was just to let you change at there spa and use of all the hotel facilities no room. It Included dinner for 2. I think it was around $150 or $160;00

Thanks for the info. One more question: Does Oceania transfer the luggage to the airport for everyone without a fee, or is there a fee, or is it only for certain categories.

Barbara

Thanks for the info. One more question: Does Oceania transfer the luggage to the airport for everyone without a fee, or is there a fee, or is it only for certain categories.

Barbara

The option is offered to everyone at no charge.

I cannot find much recent feedback or reviews on this itinerary.

We are booked on Marina next March, the 12 night cruise PPT-PPT. After a good amount of research we choose O over the PG as we wanted a larger ship with more amenities and dining options, as well as less susceptible to motion (which is an issue with the PG based on reviews I have read here and on other sites).

I know O's season in this part of the world is short, which is the main negative, as their sailing schedule is not during the best weather months.

We will be booking all excursions, transfers and hotels on our own.

Any feedback appreciated.

Hi Caviargal,

I wanted to get back with you once I checked my pictures to give you the names of the other tour companies we used in 4/2014 while on Marina in FP.

Raiatea: L'Excursion Bleue Snorkel tour with Bruno. The Vanilla farm and Peal Parm was interesting but the best was the snorkeling stops and especially the Coral Gardens drift snorkel. Very much enjoyed it and got great pictures. The lunch was ok, very rustic but decent. Yes, there were the flies around the food which I think in an outdoor tropical setting is hard to avoid. Scenery was beautiful as much of the time is spent around Taha. We found Bruno very charming.... quite the local.

http://www.tahaa.net

Fakarava: We used Fakarava Excursions and had a very nice day snorkeling at the Blue Lagoon. Refreshments served, no lunch. This was a 1/2 or 3/4 day tour only I believe. http://www.fakaravaexcursions.com

Rangiroa: We used 6 Passengers Dive Company which is primarily a famous National Geographic Dive Center (we do not scuba dive) but they did snorkel excursions as well back in 2014 as arranged only a few months prior to our time there. Helena was our contact person and others from the Marina were on our same boat. We were on a large Zodiac boat so no protection from the sun but they took us to nice snorkeling locations, a fun drift snorkel and where the dolphins were. No lunch included, only water. There are not many snorkel options in Rangiroa so I found this company simply by e-mailing them to see if they offered snorkel excursions as I could find none listed on their web site. http://www.the6passengers.com

Nuku Hiva: Probably our least favorite port, not much to see and do. We had no tours booked here, just walked around the port and city area, shopped a bit and went back to ship early. Not a snorkeling port stop. The waters around Nuku Hiva are the breeding grounds for hammerhead sharks. This was a leisurely port stop for us and a nice break from the sun, sand and water.

Bring good water shoes, lots of sun screen and plenty long sleeve swim tops as the sun is brutal but oh so gorgeous! Our favorite tours were definitely Bora Bora (we had 2 full days in BB because back in 2014, the cruise was 14 days).

Have fun planning!

I know we re in the minority, but prefer NOT to do snorkeling,water sports,etc. Live in FL, and sort of bored with that after yrs. of it around here.Know it s great,but what about land excursions. Like to see the islands, learn the culture,etc. Will we be able to do that,or NEED to take O exc. ? Such small islands and large crowd on ship, fear any private LAND ones will be used by O. Have found that on small Carib.islands,at least.

The scenery sounds lovely and area we ve never been.An old "Adventures in Paradise" tv fan and always wanted to go find Gardiner MCKay ...haha...Sad but I googled him and he s passed away yrs.ago.

Also, need close to port hotel for first day,just for resting.Then 1 for day room after. Will have to look into that more closely. Perhaps Meridian for first, then Int.Cont for last. Sound good? Moorea sounds great,but don t have that much time .

Hi Caviargal,

I wanted to get back with you once I checked my pictures to give you the names of the other tour companies we used in 4/2014 while on Marina in FP.

Raiatea: L'Excursion Bleue Snorkel tour with Bruno. The Vanilla farm and Peal Parm was interesting but the best was the snorkeling stops and especially the Coral Gardens drift snorkel. Very much enjoyed it and got great pictures. The lunch was ok, very rustic but decent. Yes, there were the flies around the food which I think in an outdoor tropical setting is hard to avoid. Scenery was beautiful as much of the time is spent around Taha. We found Bruno very charming.... quite the local.

http://www.tahaa.net

Fakarava: We used Fakarava Excursions and had a very nice day snorkeling at the Blue Lagoon. Refreshments served, no lunch. This was a 1/2 or 3/4 day tour only I believe. http://www.fakaravaexcursions.com

Rangiroa: We used 6 Passengers Dive Company which is primarily a famous National Geographic Dive Center (we do not scuba dive) but they did snorkel excursions as well back in 2014 as arranged only a few months prior to our time there. Helena was our contact person and others from the Marina were on our same boat. We were on a large Zodiac boat so no protection from the sun but they took us to nice snorkeling locations, a fun drift snorkel and where the dolphins were. No lunch included, only water. There are not many snorkel options in Rangiroa so I found this company simply by e-mailing them to see if they offered snorkel excursions as I could find none listed on their web site. http://www.the6passengers.com

Nuku Hiva: Probably our least favorite port, not much to see and do. We had no tours booked here, just walked around the port and city area, shopped a bit and went back to ship early. Not a snorkeling port stop. The waters around Nuku Hiva are the breeding grounds for hammerhead sharks. This was a leisurely port stop for us and a nice break from the sun, sand and water.

Bring good water shoes, lots of sun screen and plenty long sleeve swim tops as the sun is brutal but oh so gorgeous! Our favorite tours were definitely Bora Bora (we had 2 full days in BB because back in 2014, the cruise was 14 days).

Have fun planning!

Maybe Oceania didn't offer the Nuku Hiva tour back in 2014. Oceania offers a jeep tour that we took and it was a great tour. It's the only tour on the island and can only be booked through Oceania. I suggest booking this tour early so you won't be shut out. It was fantastic.The weather was in the 80's, all the jeeps are air conditioned.

Edited by Acrusa

Hello, we are Nick and Anne from the UK and booked this cruise a few months ago. It will be our first time in FP although it's been on my wife's bucket list since she was 10!!

Anyhow we are reading all your posts and getting so excited. Lots of people mention Patrick in Bora Bora and we have signed up with Ruth n Larry for their day with him.

Our question is Has anyone done the Polynesian Night tour with him? It certainly looks and sounds wonderful.

RuthnLarry,,

I am not on your upcoming O cruise but wanted to say what a great excursion you will have with Patrick's. We did his 3/4 day tour in 2014 and was it was one of our best days in FP, although I will preface that to say there are NO bad days in FP.

We are returning to FP later this year but trying Paul Gauguin this trip instead of O. Had a fabulous trip with O but they don't cruise FP in October.

Unfortunately we cannot pre book Patrick this year as PG has contracted him out for the ship tours. So .... we have to hope we can get a spot in his excursion once opened up to the PG cruisers and at a much higher cost $199 USD. [emoji57]

He is very interesting to talk with and will provide you with a memorable day. The food they cooked at the Lunch was awesome!! Well worth the cost imho.

Another great company in Bora Bora that provides an excellent 1/2 day tour, no Lunch is Reef Discovery. They were excellent as well and we will be using them again this year.

Have a fabulous trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went on an Oceania cruise in Tahiti last April.

One thing that surprised us was that there was so little commerce on the islands other than the big island. I thought Bora Bora would be like Hawaii but there is almost nothing on these islands in terms of commerce directed at cruisers. That's a good thing.

We went on a couple of great Oceania excursions with snorkeling and beach breaks. The water is so warm, full of exotic looking fish and unspoilt beaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off the Sirena.

1. They tendered at night until 10:30 when we were in port.

2. We did all independent tours.

3. We stayed in Moorea for 3 days prior and rented a car. Did an ride around the island. Did Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - excellent and only $85.00 when scheduled without the cruise ship. Did the Lagoonarium - great experience

4. Moorea - Moorea Miti Tours - excellent snorkelling with lunch on the beach. Delightful hosts.

5. Nuku Hiva - toured with Richard Deane from Temarama Tours. Good tour. Longer than the ship tour and less expensive. I would not return to Nuku Hiva except that it extends the trip for a longer vacation.

6. Fakarava - Blue Lagoon Tour with Ato Lissant - excellent tour and lunch. Great snorkelling

7. Rangiroa - Drift Snorkel and Aquarium - Yaka Plongee. Great company to work with. Amazing snorkelling

8. Bora Bora - Reef Discovery - took 2 4 hour tours over 2 days. Excellent. Ended by standing in the beautiful blue waters drinking champagne.

9. Raiatea - L'Excursion Bleue with Bruno and family - Tour to private island, drift snorkel. It was a bit rough so some of the snorkelling was murky. The lunch was the least appealing. Wonderful family.

10. Huahine - tour with Tahiti Sailing Charter - excellent sail. Wonderful hosts and a relaxing way to end the trip. We decided to purchase a picnic lunch and bring it with us. Snorkelling was excellent as well.

We had an amazing trip. Loved Oceania and loved Tahiti. We plan on returning in 2019.

Just off the Sirena.

3. We stayed in Moorea for 3 days prior and rented a car. Did an ride around the island. Did Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - excellent and only $85.00 when scheduled without the cruise ship. Did the Lagoonarium - great experience

4. Moorea - Moorea Miti Tours - excellent snorkelling with lunch on the beach. Delightful hosts.

5. Nuku Hiva - toured with Richard Deane from Temarama Tours. Good tour. Longer than the ship tour and less expensive. I would not return to Nuku Hiva except that it extends the trip for a longer vacation.

6. Fakarava - Blue Lagoon Tour with Ato Lissant - excellent tour and lunch. Great snorkelling

7. Rangiroa - Drift Snorkel and Aquarium - Yaka Plongee. Great company to work with. Amazing snorkelling

8. Bora Bora - Reef Discovery - took 2 4 hour tours over 2 days. Excellent. Ended by standing in the beautiful blue waters drinking champagne.

9. Raiatea - L'Excursion Bleue with Bruno and family - Tour to private island, drift snorkel. It was a bit rough so some of the snorkelling was murky. The lunch was the least appealing. Wonderful family.

10. Huahine - tour with Tahiti Sailing Charter - excellent sail. Wonderful hosts and a relaxing way to end the trip. We decided to purchase a picnic lunch and bring it with us. Snorkelling was excellent as well.

We had an amazing trip. Loved Oceania and loved Tahiti. We plan on returning in 2019.

Jean,

We missed out on the Lagoonarium when last in Moorea, so it is on our 'must see" list when we return this year. Albert's Car Rental is who we used last time for our Port day in Moorea as well as our transit from Ferry Dock in Moorea to Hotel and back to Ferry to return to Papeete on embarkation day. Very easy to drive around the island and stop at various places for snorkeling and go up to Belvedere. Temae Beach was quite nice as well.

Our pre-cruise days we stayed at the Hilton Moorea in the OWB's and just enjoyed the resort. Used our Port day return to Moorea to sightsee around the island. Friends we met on board toured with Frankie Franck and enjoyed his tour in Moorea. Some of the restaurants on Moorea (such as Le Mahogany and Moorea Beach Cafe) will come and pick you up at the Hotel you are staying at and bring you for Dinner and back to Hotel free of charge, except for a tip....). Better then paying the expensive cost of Hotel Dinners plus it gives you great variety to sample new places

In Fakarava, Ato Lissant was a popular excursion with many of the Marina passengers. We enjoyed our time with Fakarava Excursions.

Jean, I full agree when you say French Polynesia is an amazing place! We are ecstatic to have the opportunity to go back.

Just off the Sirena.

sounds wonderful! what was the weather like? Looking to book Feb 2018..

I just read a review by Capt. Nanji of the January cruise. He stated that O provided that the facilities at the Le Meriden Hotel could be used for passengers who had to wait until evening to fly home on the last day. This is very good news if it applies to all passengers. Can anyone elaborate?

I just read a review by Capt. Nanji of the January cruise. He stated that O provided that the facilities at the Le Meriden Hotel could be used for passengers who had to wait until evening to fly home on the last day. This is very good news if it applies to all passengers. Can anyone elaborate?

There will be terms and conditions attached to that. I'm pretty sure you have to have your flights through O and probably transfers with them as well. You'll need to see what info they provide for your specific cruise.