Does anyone recommend New Zealand Cruise from Australia on Celebrity Solstice,

portcbob

Yes, although we usually do Auckland to Sydney. We did it for Christmas 2015 and are boarding Solstice again on Friday to repeat the cruise - it's a good way for us to catch up with friends and family around NZ.

The weather can be variable. February/March is usually the best time to visit NZ but there are no guarantees with either the NZ weather or the conditions crossing the Tasman Sea,

Hi Kiwi we have booked Sydney Auckland in November 2017 the Solstice docks in Auckland 6.30 am Saturday if we walk off and get a taxi to Auckland International airport for a flight at 11.am will we make it in time thank you Aussie

On Solstice now. Left Sydney last Sunday. Seas been variable and quite choppy but we have had no problems. Day in the Sounds great specially Milford which we did first. Weather variable but the view from the forward lounge on deck 14 perfect, dry and warm. Commentary from Chelsea, resident naturalist, very good. Lots of tours at pier in Dunedin and Akaroa. For $NZ25 we got local tours in a mini bus. Weather there low 20'sC. wind jacket a must.Wellington today started 16'C, winds of 70 knots and raining!!! ARound 11am it cleared to maybe 20', windy and finally sunny around 2pm!!! Yep changeable.happy with our first Celebrity cruise but probably wouldn't worry about Aqua Class again- spend the difference on speciality restaurants, although MDR was fine for us. Blu is ok but not worth the extra and we haven't used the other 'perks'. Internet included working really well even out at sea. A great way to see NZ we recommend!!!

Hi Kiwi we have booked Sydney Auckland in November 2017 the Solstice docks in Auckland 6.30 am Saturday if we walk off and get a taxi to Auckland International airport for a flight at 11.am will we make it in time thank you Aussie

You should be OK, as long as there is no delays with the ship docking. Personally I would never fly out the same day, I'd rather spend a night in the arrival city then fly out, however I realise that isn't always possible.

On Solstice now. Left Sydney last Sunday. Seas been variable and quite choppy but we have had no problems. Day in the Sounds great specially Milford which we did first. Weather variable but the view from the forward lounge on deck 14 perfect, dry and warm. Commentary from Chelsea, resident naturalist, very good. Lots of tours at pier in Dunedin and Akaroa. For $NZ25 we got local tours in a mini bus. Weather there low 20'sC. wind jacket a must.Wellington today started 16'C, winds of 70 knots and raining!!! ARound 11am it cleared to maybe 20', windy and finally sunny around 2pm!!! Yep changeable.happy with our first Celebrity cruise but probably wouldn't worry about Aqua Class again- spend the difference on speciality restaurants, although MDR was fine for us. Blu is ok but not worth the extra and we haven't used the other 'perks'. Internet included working really well even out at sea. A great way to see NZ we recommend!!!

Sounds like NZ is staying true to form with variable weather.

Do you know if they offered any special deals for the speciality restaurants on boarding day? Last time we were on Solstice some friends also onboard got all three restaurants for $99. We're boarding on Friday.

Hi all you Celebrity Cruisers.

Never cruised with Celebrity before and my wife and I are considering a 14 night cruise from Sydney to Melbourne, Tasmania then on to New Zealand on the Celebrity Solstice. We are considering the February, 2018 crossing.

Does anyone recommend this ship and this cruise and if anyone has knowledge of the weather conditions we should expect at this time of the year.

Many thanks for any information provided.

Cheers Bob and Chris.

Most definitely! We did a similar cruise in 2013 on Solstice, from Auckland, around NZ then to Hobart and Sydney, before continuing round the south of Oz to Perth. Beautiful ship and fabulous itinerary. Go for it - you won't regret it.

Sounds like NZ is staying true to form with variable weather.

Do you know if they offered any special deals for the speciality restaurants on boarding day? Last time we were on Solstice some friends also onboard got all three restaurants for $99. We're boarding on Friday.

A three restaurant sample for $US99 is not uncommon. When you take up the offer you have to book your first night in your designated restaurant. The remaining two nights can be booked later in the cruise

How do you plan on getting out to the airport because the mode of transport is going to be the test. Starting by being at the gangway with all luggage at least by 6.00 am ready to self disembark. Don't be surprised if even this early you aren't at the front of the queue. Disembarkation probably wont be until around 7.00. This leaves you 2 1/2 hours to get to the airport to check in at 9.30. Trans Tasman flights have a 90 minute window for checkin not 2 or even 3 hours like some North American flights. You should find plenty of taxis at the terminal and make your checkin times. It is a must that you do a self disembarkation or you could miss your connection

Any ideas what the weather will be like in November for Australia and NZ?

Depends which part of Australia you plan to be in. It is Spring. The weather will be warming up in most areas with temps from mid teens to mid-30c, with the occasional very hot day. Melbourne and Hobart will be cooler than other areas. Perth, Sydney and Brisbane will be much warmer. Can be wetter on the East coast (Sydney and Brisbane) and drier on the West coast (Perth), but anywhere can have rain. Tend to get more pesky flies in Spring than at other times of year. If planning on the far north in the tropical areas, you are coming into cyclone season so can be wet and windy. Can't comment on NZ, although when we did the cruise around NZ in February, we had exceptionally warm and sunny weather throughout.

We paid $125 for 4 restaurants and they are now offering packages up to 12 nights in specialties. EmbarkTion night in Murano was offered at 30% off. Haven't tested the discounting on other nights as we booked our other 3 when we went to Murano early in the cruise. Very happy with all 3 and a repeat in Murano on our last night! Also, bus Shuttle to Dunedin cost $20 return, Wellington bus was free to bottom of tramway and Melbourne was a Myki ticket for A$15 return by bus or tram and included all day transport.

Hi there!

I have done Sydney to Auckland 3 times now, all in early December.

Twice on the Solstice (2015, 2016) and once on the Diamond Princess (2012).

Fortunately for me, the seas were calm on all 3! My last cruise Dec '16 was so calm crossing the Tasman that you could see the reflection of the clouds. We were able to see the spouts of whales whilst they swam in the ocean. The cruises before and after ours was apparently very rough.

Milford Sound was cold but as you travel further north, it does get warmer.

If you don't have enough jumpers in Milford Sound (it's pretty cold that early in the morning), a couple of beach towels from the pool deck, wrapped around the shoulders and legs did the trick on the balcony if you were still cold.

Hobart (2012) was 12C the day we arrived and then the next day was 39C! So you never can tell.

Port Chalmers is great for free wifi. It is available at the end of the wharf.

I found that Auckland harbour was a nightmare once you got onto the wharf.

There are buses picking up people and dropping off.

Cues for taxis was anywhere between 50 - 100 m long!

We walked about 500 m to the airbus stand. It is a free shuttle that takes you to their depot(about 5-10 mins ) where you then transfer into the airport bus. I think it costs about $16, which is pretty good for a 40 minute trip.

Auckland at the moment is quite chaotic as they are renovating much of the surrounding areas near the dock and harbour. A bit like Sydney at the moment.

Try to book dinner in the Tuscan or Morano on the first night - it is usually half price.

During the cruise they often offer the pay restaurants for a third off, which works out to be about the same price as the dinner package. I would prefer the Tuscan to the Morano, so better for me.

We love the Solstice. We will be on it 1st March - counting down the days!

You will have a fantastic time!

Terry in Ohio, I think I hate you.... I looked at your pictures, went back and pulled out my mixbook from our trip and I want to go back...soon....I was happy with the memories until you reminded me how great the trip was.

YES, I am "guilty as charged"!! Appreciate your cute follow-up. The areas of Australia and New Zealand are spectacular. They make me look like a great photographer. Wanting to go back is good. BUT, for us, we have other priorities ahead on our travel list, including departing in two weeks for a Panama Canal transit, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco. Then in mid June for Lisbon to Rouen, including Bordeaux and Brittany and in early 2018 for Southeast Asia. Lots of fun and interesting places to explore.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 47,793 views for these postings.

alazok: I have done Sydney to Auckland 3 times now' date=' all in early December.Twice on the Solstice (2015, 2016) Try to book dinner in the Tuscan or Morano on the first night - it is usually half price. I would prefer the Tuscan to the Morano, so better for me. [b']We love the Solstice.[/b] We will be on it 1st March - counting down the days! You will have a fantastic time!

For those who love the Solstice and/or getting ready for a "ride" on this classy ship, below are a few more "eye candy" samples as to what you can expect and enjoy. More on the below posting.

Did a “Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared!” summary from two different adventures on this ship with many pictures and other details on its many options. This includes our recent Australia to New Zealand sailing. Check it out, including these early 2014 updates, at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Now at 43,431 views for this posting.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 170,481 views for this posting.

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship. Classy design touches and style!!:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

I liked to ride one of the eight glass elevators in the mid-ship courtyard with nice views out to the different floors, enjoying the ship architecture, people being active, etc. You can see the relaxing library in this shot. Classy design on this ship! Some tradition, but not too dated or old.:

SolsticeElevatorsGlassHighView.jpg

Super loved it when there were times at the pool in the afternoons on the Solstice in June 2011 when the “party band” was going at it with great tunes. This added to the fun and excitement around the pool area of our ship. Just like done by some famous California pop groups, we were hearing “fun, fun, fun” underneath the sun!!:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

For dining in Tuscan Grille on the Solstice while sailing from Australia to New Zealand, we started with a nice glass of sparkling Italian wine (Prosecco Spumanti). The best is always saved for last . . . a nicely designed and super tasting of this Italian favorite, Tiramisu.:

TuscanampBridge1_zps179efed3.jpg

TuscanampBridge14_zps6b5518d2.jpg

For dessert, the choice was Grand Marnier soufflé in Murano. The sauce? Crème Anglaise á la Gousse Tahitienne.:

MuranoDining15_zpsb7294f7a.jpg

Just a quick question guys for people that have done this cruise.

If the weather is bad when you arrive at the 3 sounds in New Zealand and it can't be navigated, " where do they take you instead".

Cheers bob.

The sounds are protected from the sea to the west. One may feel a little turbulence going in but apart from that you will be in flat water. The only way I can see a ship missing the sounds is if they have been held up elsewhere