Only cruise critic members would understand

cincicruisers

> Insurance should cover the cruise fare and incidentals.

> As for the airline tickets call the airline and move the reservation - believe the cost is $100 pp (change fee).

It is NOT helpful to supply wrong information. Trip insurance can cover a wide variety of items, and you have no way of knowing what is covered in whatever policy the OP purchsaed. Likewise, airline tickets come in a wide variety of changeability, from once-purchased-set-in-stone to easily changeable at full value, and (again) you have no way of knowing whether the OP's tickets can be changed at all or for what (if any) fee.

Your reply was disappointing and even more so not correct about airline tickets. I worked for 29 years at a major

airline as a supervisor and I know the ins and outs about airline customer service ticketing and reservations.

With a review of the circumstances a lot can be done for the customer. Contract clauses maybe waived and other

things done in a compassionate way for customers. Your jumping to conclusions is not conducive to directing

these folks to solutions that are available. I will admit that insurance is not my forte but I expect reasonable coverage

and terms to cover my planned cruise should I need it or use it !

I have been planning for 12 months for our cruise that is schedule for May/2017 on the Escape. Having planned for so long and I was so excited to come up on 90 days. It's when the fun starts as far as booking all your dining and entertainment. I had already booked flights, hotel, transfers, etc.

Then life threw me a curveball. My husband hurt his back and we are visiting a surgeon next week. That happened and my daughter called and had a conflict at work.

All of our plans had to change. I have moved our trip to February 2018 on the Epic. We will lose the money for the flights that were purchased.

I know there are worse things and we will still be able to cruise at a later date, but I am still sad about not being able to go.

Please don't be mean, just needed to vent to folks that understand.

sorry this happened to you and your family...altho you do still have a cruise to look forward too...sit tight on the airline tickets...we had a similar issue for a Panama Canal cruise coming up in March of this year with a lot of very close cruise friends...a couple weeks ago the airline notified us they had changed our flight time by 6+ hours and it gave us an out to get our money back...650+ bux....we had written them off in our minds but decided to just leave them in place and see what happened....:)

Sorry to hear that you had to reschedule your cruise, I know that is a big disappointment. My sister and I had to cancel our cruise just two days before our finale payment was due, my sister found out that she was going to loose her job and we felt like we couldn't take the cruise at that time.

I totally understand your disappointment. Glad you were able to book another cruise. Can you please come back and update what happens with your airfare? I also have a cruise booked this summer (with NCL insurance) and nonrefundable economy airfare booked with KLM, so I'm always concerned that something like this could happen to us and we would lose all of our airfare.

Depending on the airline and fare class (Refundable vs non refundable) you will likely end up with a Credit good for one year from when you "purchased" the tickets (not from dates of flights). There will also likely be a change fee that usually has to be paid at the time the credit is used (note change fee can't be deducted from the credit). All this depends on your airlines Terms & Conditions. Sometime after figuring the Change fees the credit becomes worthless and cheaper to just buy new tickets. Remember the credits will be divided between all the flyers and can only be used by each individual person regardless of who paid for the ticket.

Change fees can run upwards of $200 per person. With your medical issue and providing proof to the airlines they sometimes can be convinced to Waive the change fees as a gesture of goodwill. Just be super nice, and you may find a sympathetic ear.

You do have to cancel the reservations Before the first flight, if you are listed as a No Show you will not have a credit to use.

Good luck and hope your hubby gets better soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP, I posted up-thread about having to cancel our vacation due to my husband's heart attack. I called the airline to cancel and explained the circumstances, didn't ask for anything and indicated I'd be rebooking once his doctor ok'd travel. The person I spoke with was wonderful. She not only waived the change fees, but she made our credit good for a year from the day I called, not the original purchase date. It's definitely worth calling

Hope all goes well and that you will be able to reschedule. Just in case you haven't considered such---sometimes credit cards automatically include travel insurance (at no extra charge) when you use the card to pay for travel---you might want to check with your credit card company if you purchased your airline tickets with a credit card.

The best of luck to you.

Hope all goes well and that you will be able to reschedule. Just in case you haven't considered such---sometimes credit cards automatically include travel insurance (at no extra charge) when you use the card to pay for travel---you might want to check with your credit card company if you purchased your airline tickets with a credit card.

The best of luck to you.

Great reminder

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can sympathize with OP. We had booked a cruise for April of 2016 over a year in advance. In August of 2015, our dog was diagnosed with terminal cancer and was given about 6 months. It was painful to postpone the cruise until the following December, but it was the right thing to do.

I can tell you it feels better the day your original cruise ends.