Motion sickness on the Coral

scoob

My wife always take Ginger Root 550 MG capsules with us. They are a natural whole herb for occasional nausea. She even takes some ginger candy. A young girl one day did not feel good. ( Sea Sick) She gave her some of the candy and she felt better in 20 minutes. :) We purchase the candy at Trader Joe's.

Tony

Thanks Tony & will suggest it to my wife who is very susceptible to all types of motion sickness. A natural preventive such as things made from ginger is the best first option before trying medications. :)

Now all I have to do is to get her try it while having meclizine in case it doesn't help her enough. ;)

I have been on small ships to the largest of them all and it is the weather that dictates motion. When sailing up from San Diego to San Francisco in April we had 22 foot waves, was it a little rocky yes. But most everyone had their sea legs and no one was sick. It was out last day at sea. I have left Los Angeles on the Disney Wonder in a storm that was so bad the ship left port 7 hours late. I found that I could not sit in the dinning room and eat so I went to bed to grow my sea legs and it was smooth sailing after that. The only bad thing after that night was a Cruz member who jumped off of the ship in the storm. No one knew when she jumped until the next day when she did not report to duty. It was very haunting but our cruise was nice and smooth the rest of the time. You will be fine on the Coral.

Last November, leaving Ft Laudedale, the lines dropped, and so did my DIL, the wind was whipping as we pulled away and went through the channel, my DIL never got to sail a way, as she was kneeling to the porcelain gods. She finally felt better two days later. I think, if the ship is rocky right off, no one has had developed their sea legs, which one would be more likely to feel it, rather than having smooth sailing for a few days then get rocky.

I use the drug meclizine in any of its packaging such as Dramamine II, Bonine, Walmart anti-nausea, etc. Just look at the label. You take one pill every 24 hours, and I have no side effects. I have some patches which I carry as backup when things get really bad. I also carry ginger candy and a wrist band; in case you haven't figured it out, I get motion sick. That said, I have only thrown up once, and that was when we rounded Maine and headed south into a Nor'easter. I also recommend fresh air if the weather allows you to be on deck.

Good luck, and have a great trip.

This is my first cruise and I have no idea about motion sickness but it does concern me. Sailing on the Coral from Whittier to Vancouver, May 20th. I can ride theme park rides all day with no sickness. I have been out in the ocean in small boats several times and took Bonine twice on a couple rough days and did okay.

My biggest concern is we are going Whale Watching in Juneau and Salmon fishing in Ketchikan. Being in a smaller boat, I'm thinking maybe it may not be a bad idea to take something!

Does anyone else take motion sickness medicine on excursions?

This is my first cruise and I have no idea about motion sickness but it does concern me. Sailing on the Coral from Whittier to Vancouver, May 20th. I can ride theme park rides all day with no sickness. I have been out in the ocean in small boats several times and took Bonine twice on a couple rough days and did okay.

My biggest concern is we are going Whale Watching in Juneau and Salmon fishing in Ketchikan. Being in a smaller boat, I'm thinking maybe it may not be a bad idea to take something!

My wife just have motion sickness at times on the ship. But not often. She has not taken any medication on shore excursions, nor during tender to the port. You can do what you did on your previous experience in small boats and I guess you'll do fine.

Just my way of thinking. Just take the medicine. If it works why take a chance on not using the medicine?

If It won't hurt you. Good luck!! enjoy your excursions and I hope you catch plenty of Salmon.

Tony

• 2 months later...

Just back from the Coral May 20-27. We did encounter a nasty storm crossing the gulf of Alaska. The Coral rocked and rolled! We took Bonine & were fine but lots if folks got sick. Whale watching and salmon fishing was a smooth ride. We didn't catch any fish but it was a beautiful day to be in a small boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums