Motion sickness on the Coral

scoob

I have heard you feel a lot of movement on the Coral. We are staying midship on the Caribe deck. Has anyone experienced lots of rocking?

The Coral is actually longer than Grand Class ships but not as wide.

Not sure where you heard that about a lot of movement.

We have sailed the Coral many times and have don't feel she moves any more than any other ship.

Since you are mid ship on Caribe thats a great location. Forward would feel the most movement with aft coming in second.

I have heard you feel a lot of movement on the Coral. We are staying midship on the Caribe deck. Has anyone experienced lots of rocking?

Midship Caribe will be a stable part of the ship, but Itinerary might make a difference in the motion of the ocean.

We always pack motion sickness medicine like meclizine, and the ReliefBand, in case we need one. It always stay on our carry-on.

Cruised Coral from SF to FLL through the Panama Canal. Some days the sea was like glass. When we skirted the edge of a storm they closed all outside deck access due to high winds and major ship motion. Same ship, and same cruise.

Nature does what nature does. You will either have smooth sailing or you won't. Coral is a great ship and no more prone to movement than any other ship on the ocean. Your cabin will be in one of the most stable areas of the ship but that still can't guarantee a lack of motion.

I am extremely sensitive to motion sickness. I get sick on winding roads if I'm not the driver. I use the Transderm Scop patch behind my ear and have never gotten sick on a ship no matter how rough the weather. Some don't like it and say it gives them dry mouth or dry eyes or some other side effect. For me it is the thing that allows me to cruise.

Last year we were on Coral to the Panama Canal. We were on A deck near the stern. There were a few rough days, and getting up in the middle of the night could be "challenging", but we never got seasick. We did take Bonine as a precaution however, as I am susceptible to motion sickness.

Motion sickness can be somewhat prevented by staying hydrated, and not eating the wrong foods, getting enough sleep, etc. Hydration is very important. Excessive alcohol intake goes hand in hand with dehydration so something to keep in mind.

We just completed a Panama Canal Cruise on Coral. The Coral was build to travel through the canal, because of which it is a long and narrow ship.

On our cruise we had 2 days going out of fairly rough water. Some passengers did have motion sickness, but overall, I did feel that the ship held the water fairly well. I would suggest taking a motion sickness wrist band (really works), the Transderm patches are also effective, but can cause some visual blurriness in a minority of individuals. Finally Promethazine is fairly good for nausea.

With that being said, while one cannot predict weather, the Coral is an excellent ship and you should enjoy.

I never suffer from motion sickness. I consider myself to be very fortunate. However, I've never been on a cruise when there wasn't at least one or more days where the seas were rough and others weren't as lucky.

If you are prone to motion sickness be sure to take precautions and have a Great Cruise!! :D

Yes, it CAN be very bumpy. The one and only time I got sea sick was when we left out of Seattle to go to Alaska. There had been a storm way out at sea. Most of the crew got sick too. Not pleasant at all.That being said, it can also be fine. I have sailed from San Francisco to Alaska and back and had no problems at all.

The ocean reacts to weather. No way to predict how smooth or choppy the ocean will be on your trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Transderm Scop patch. I cut them in haf and I have never had side effects from them. I am very prone to motion sickness, but wearing just half does the trick for me. I never get sick, even in rough seas.

Thanks for all your suggestions. We are traveling 4/7 on a Panama Canal cruise.

We are on the same cruise :)

I am prone to seasickness also. I take a ginger pill daily and normally pack Bonine for the rougher days, works like a charm.

Our last cruise was from San Francisco to Alaska on the Golden and after 18 cruises on our first full day and half of the las,t I experienced motion sickness. Believe me when I tell you it was awful!! Other than the patch what would any of you suggest that I use for our upcoming 10 day Panama Cruise Thanks

I use the Transderm Scop patch. I cut them in haf and I have never had side effects from them. I am very prone to motion sickness, but wearing just half does the trick for me. I never get sick, even in rough seas.

Back in the early 90's when the Transderm patch was first released, my wife and wore them on a two week trip up Lake Michigan on our sailboat. The patches worked fine, but we had horrible dry mouth all the time and I actually experienced hallucinations when I would close my eyes. I could "see" all these "old-timey" cartoon characters. It was actually quite entertaining.

At the end of the trip we removed the patches and the withdrawal symptoms were horrible. It was like having the flu. We felt awful for a week after the trip.

Shortly after this trip Transderm Scop patches were pulled off the US market for "dosage review". When they came back on the market I think the dosage had been reformulated.

It was a very weird experience and I would never use them again. I'll stick to Bonine from here on.

Here's a question. Sailing Alaska inner passage from Seattle. You are on the sea for a day before getting to inside passage. Seems like this can be a bumpy ride. Am I correct? Going in July

My cruise to Alaska, from Seattle was smooth sailing. I am prone to motion sickness but on this trip, beginning July 5 I did not get ill at all. We sailed on Golden Princess a larger ship.

had prescribed medication with me just never had to use any.

I have also heard that green olives will help too. Ask for a few at the bar! Must be the vinegar to settle the stomach.

Be prepared even if you do not need anything.

Have a wonderful trip to Alaska.

We are going to have our first Princess cruise in a week and a half of the Ruby.

When on HAL all we have had to do is stop at the main desk and they would give you meclizine.

Does Princess do the same?

We are going to have our first Princess cruise in a week and a half of the Ruby.

When on HAL all we have had to do is stop at the main desk and they would give you meclizine.

I do not know if they do hand out the nausea drug but give princess a call and ask them.

No they stopped that years ago. They want you to go to the medical office. :(

True. Better to pack your own meclizine.

And bringing it from home is much cheaper than paying about $1 per tablet for the Bonine brand name I've seen in the ship's gift shop.

My wife experienced bad side affects from the patch but never from meclizine which is an antihistamine.

Also none of my Coral Princess cruises in Alaska & the Panama Canal were noticeably rougher than on any other ship.

My wife always take Ginger Root 550 MG capsules with us. They are a natural whole herb for occasional nausea. She even takes some ginger candy. A young girl one day did not feel good. ( Sea Sick) She gave her some of the candy and she felt better in 20 minutes. :) We purchase the candy at Trader Joe's.

Tony