Long Beach Airport shuttle?

anxious_cucumber

Hello all, we are headed on our first Carnival Cruise out of Long Beach. Upon looking at the Carnival website, it appears that Carnival operates a shuttle from the Long Beach Airport, but it says for the day of cruise only.

I'm not sure why that matters, or if they really do check- we were going to stay at a hotel near the airport and head back to the airport to catch the shuttle. I had tried searching but came up empty. Any suggestions?

We are from the small town midwest, and the thought of a taxi or uber in an area that we aren't familiar with makes us uncomfortable... we only have a handful of taxis in the area, so we aren't familiar with this method of transport. Thank you for your input!

Hello all, we are headed on our first Carnival Cruise out of Long Beach. Upon looking at the Carnival website, it appears that Carnival operates a shuttle from the Long Beach Airport, but it says for the day of cruise only.

I'm not sure why that matters, or if they really do check- we were going to stay at a hotel near the airport and head back to the airport to catch the shuttle. I had tried searching but came up empty. Any suggestions?

We are from the small town midwest, and the thought of a taxi or uber in an area that we aren't familiar with makes us uncomfortable... we only have a handful of taxis in the area, so we aren't familiar with this method of transport. Thank you for your input!

Hi there

Welcome to cruise critic.

As they say, their shuttle runs only on the day of the cruise. If you are returning to the airport the next morning you will be fine.

I believe the airport is less than 1/2 hr. to the port and a taxi fare would be about $40. I would guess that Uber would charge much less. I wouldn't be worried about using either service myself, but it's up to you.

For more information, I would go to the "West coast departure" threads of this site. Ask there, they would likely have more information. You would also be able to get information about things you may do or see on the day you arrive. (restaurants etc.)

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Hi,

Long Beach is a small airport and it's not really far from the city itself.

Not sure why you would be afraid to take a taxi??

It is barely a 10-15min ride to a hotel in downtown Long Beach which or another 5-10 min ride farther to a hotel right near the port.

I would not stay by the airport to wait for a probably more expensive shuttle run by Carnival!

Afraid to take a taxi as I've never done it before, we don't have them in our town really. I don't know how to get one, how to pay, how to know if they're taking us the right way so it doesn't end up costing a huge sum of money.

We generally vacation in Disney so all transport there is taken care of.

We are ok with paying more for the carnival shuttle as I know it will get us where we need to be.

Afraid to take a taxi as I've never done it before, we don't have them in our town really. I don't know how to get one, how to pay, how to know if they're taking us the right way so it doesn't end up costing a huge sum of money.

We generally vacation in Disney so all transport there is taken care of.

We are ok with paying more for the carnival shuttle as I know it will get us where we need to be.

I completely understand if you are staying a hotel close to the airport and the hotel offers a shuttle to the airport you can take that back then catch the shuttle from there that is operated by carnival. You can ask the hotel to call you a taxi and go from the hotel to the port, like the other poster stated should be about $40. Its really not that big of a town not sure where your from but im in san antonio and i think its small that us.Hope this helps.

Of course you can do as you wish but it is not difficult to get a taxi.

You walk out of the airport and there will be a line of taxis waiting. You go to the first one in line and tell them the name of your hotel.

They will take you there and since it is a short ride you don't have to worry about the taxi taking you the "right way" (or the wrong way.)

You just pay what you see on the meter + a little tip.

Here is a map and an estimate of the fare to a hotel near the cruise port.

It will be less if the hotel is in downtown Long Beach:

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Long-Beach-CA&from=Long+Beach+Airport%2C+Donald+Douglas+Drive%2C+Long+Beach%2C+CA%2C+United+States&to=Maya+Hotel+(NB+Direction)%2C+Long+Beach%2C+CA%2C+United+States&fromCoord=33.8182652,-118.14454160000003&toCoord=33.75559999999999,-118.19783000000001

IF you are not comfortable with the idea of a metered ride you could book your own shuttle from the airport to a hotel and the shuttle company will tell you ahead of time what you'll need to pay.

Travel is all about trying new things!

Good luck

I'd recommend staying at one of the local LB hotels that offer free shuttle transportation to the cruise terminal.

I have stayed at the Best Western in the past and it's a very decent value:

http://www.bwoflongbeach.com/park-cruise-hotel-packages

see this package specifically:

Long Beach Fly & Cruise Package

You can check with this best Western if they also offer airport pickup as well.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise! We love sailing out of LB.

Going back...

The taxi fare back to LGB is $38flat + tip. Taxi stand is to the left as you leave the Dome.

Shared Shuttles are $17/pp + tip. Located lower level of the parking structure.

Personally I'd stay near port. Closest to port is the Queen Mary (5minute walk) and the Maya (shuttle, a flat mile walk) Located near the tourist area, connected by the free Passport bus. http://www.lbtransit.com/Services/Passport.aspx

Depending on when your flight arrives, you might have time to see the Aquarium of the Pacific, located along the Passport route.

aquariumofpacific.org

Take a taxi.

On October 13th 2016 we took Uber from the port to Long Beach airport. It cost us a total of $15.16. Contacted Uber and was met at taxi pickup area within 10 minutes. Two of us and four pieces of luggage. Checked out other means and this was the best and most efficient.